• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Hardest drug to get off?

Bman2

Bluelighter
What drug is the hardest in your opinion to get off when you're really hooked? I personally would say heroin but I'm a little biased because I've been hooked on that and nothing else(I've tried almost everything tho). But even when I think about it, it still has to be opiates because of the way they make you sick. I know on the other side of the spectrum you have uppers which hit you with that nasty crash, but that's it. Your sick for a day or 2, not dealing with an eternal sickness like with opiates(by eternal I just mean a lot longer than a day or 2). Also, they don't humble you with any sickness until you are already too far into it. With uppers, they demand your respect each time you use them. With opiates, it's like your slowly building up debt over time and then it kicks your ass when you realize you're hooked. Even though there may be a mental sickness with any of these drugs, what's really the hardest to get off? I've seen all sorts of silly lists out there, some have meth at the top, some have heroin, & some have benzo's. Any opinions are welcome but I would like to hear from someone that's experienced addiction with a bunch of different drugs.

cigs but meth is the hardest to stop binging on it gives me a very strong urge to redose too soon

Personally for me it would be heroin/any opiates/opioids...because of course how ill it makes you and also PAWS is pretty miserable for a long, drawn out period of time. But I would have to say (though I have no personal experience with being dependent on them or addicted to them, only my experience of seeing other people suffer through it as being a nurse for 20 years) benzos would have to be right up there because the withdrawals from them can be pretty harsh...I mean, it can actually kill you..whereas opiates/heroin just makes you feel as though you want/are going to die.

Imma agree with mmy
Benzos or booze can be bad and cause seizures.

Opiates get my vote tho. You have to have a pretty fair tolerance going but
the way my skin crawls and I'm always freezing cold or sweating and to hot.
plus the vomiting and diarrhoea can make me pretty miserable.
body aches mixed with the hopelessness and depression to top it off make it hard to commit and make it threw to sobriety.

Hard to say, kind of subjective. Opiates are the easiest to get hooked on and then its obviously a huge struggle to get off them. Alcohol and Benzos are probably worse if you end up with a bad habit. But I can't speak from experience, except for some mild benzo w/d. Those 2, as someone mentioned, carry a risk of death from heavy withdrawal.

Cigarettes definitely. Its more addicting than heroin, benzos, crack, cocaine, you name it....

I have to say Oxycodone. Without any additional help such as suboxone it feels almost impossible to quit.

I have spent everyday of the last 2 years trying to quit oxycodone. I have been on it for 6 years now for chronic pain unfortunately when you have been on it for so long to get even harder to quit

Again I just want to say this is really almost impossible to answer. Who has experienced every an addiction to every substance? Not many people if any have. Its also impossible to gauge severity of an addiction from 1 substance to another. Is smoking a pack a day = drinking a 12 pack a day = doing a G of heroin a day = eating 4 mg of xanax a day = etc. There is no cut and dry here, it varies so much that this is just a matter of opinion and what someone got themselves more caught up in.

Technically, drugs are not addictive like Vicodin for instance.
Some people take Vicodin, or even lets say Morphine.
If these drugs give them a bad negative side effect such as the most common one from opiates like these, are vomiting, nausea, or even fainting.
So that case, people just chuck them and say Yuck!!!!! I do not want these side effects so of course, they will not get addicted by them.

Another example would be is cigarettes. Yes.....I did say that cigs are the most addictive of them all, but again, not to all. For me, I smoked cigs for while and stopped cold turkey. Because it made me puke sometimes. So, there were not addictive to me.

So yes, it all depends on the side effects. If the side effects are bad, then drugs are not addictive.

Again...another example....I don't think Benzos are not recreational nor euphoric, so to me, there not addictive. But most say Benzos are one of the addictive drugs out there.

So it all depends how the side effects are, You can take the most addictive drug on the market, and it will not be addictive due to the negative side effects. But for some, yes, if the side effects are good.

My friend tried Heroin (first time), had he told me will never touch that stuff again because it made him faint and puke all day. So in this case, heroin is not addictive....

Maybe im silly for saying this, but this is the way I look at it.

To sum it up....Good euphoric side effects of drugs can be addictive, yes. Bad side effects, will not make people addictive ...All depends on the side effects.

Last edited:
^I have no idea what kind of view of addiction would consider morphine to not be addictive, but it's not what most people think the word means.

An individuals p[ersonal experience with a substance does not alter whether it is addictive or not.

By definition, addictive: (of a substance, thing, or activity) causing or likely to cause someone to become addicted to it.

So yeah vicodin, cigs, gambling, heroin..they are all still addictive, regardless what one person happens to experience with them. Also, a lot of people puke first time trying opiates and still end up addicts.

Technically, drugs are not addictive like Vicodin for instance.
Some people take Vicodin, or even lets say Morphine.
If these drugs give them a bad negative side effect such as the most common one from opiates like these, are vomiting, nausea, or even fainting.
So that case, people just chuck them and say Yuck!!!!! I do not want these side effects so of course, they will not get addicted by them.

Another example would be is cigarettes. Yes.....I did say that cigs are the most addictive of them all, but again, not to all. For me, I smoked cigs for while and stopped cold turkey. Because it made me puke sometimes. So, there were not addictive to me.

So yes, it all depends on the side effects. If the side effects are bad, then drugs are not addictive.

Again...another example....I don't think Benzos are not recreational nor euphoric, so to me, there not addictive. But most say Benzos are one of the addictive drugs out there.

So it all depends how the side effects are, You can take the most addictive drug on the market, and it will not be addictive due to the negative side effects. But for some, yes, if the side effects are good.

My friend tried Heroin (first time), had he told me will never touch that stuff again because it made him faint and puke all day. So in this case, heroin is not addictive....

Maybe im silly for saying this, but this is the way I look at it.

To sum it up....Good euphoric side effects of drugs can be addictive, yes. Bad side effects, will not make people addictive ...All depends on the side effects.

Yeah, kinda silly. The drug itself is still addictive no matter what. All you are saying is that some people have a preference for some drugs over others.

Again I just want to say this is really almost impossible to answer. Who has experienced every an addiction to every substance? Not many people if any have. Its also impossible to gauge severity of an addiction from 1 substance to another. Is smoking a pack a day = drinking a 12 pack a day = doing a G of heroin a day = eating 4 mg of xanax a day = etc. There is no cut and dry here, it varies so much that this is just a matter of opinion and what someone got themselves more caught up in.
I know there's not a clear-cut answer, I'm just curious as to what most people think. Of course everyone has their vice, but each drug has it's own distinctive withdrawal properties which one can look at and make an opinion based off what bothers them the most. I'm just curious as to what bothers people the most. It sounds like opiate withdrawal is the worst for most people. The conversion thing isn't entirely relevant because whether your habit is a small one or a large one, you know what the withdrawal is like. There doesn't have to be an exact conversion to form a relatively reasonable opinion on what withdrawal effects bother you the most. Someone with a small habit can imagine amplified withdrawal effects of a large habit, I'm just looking at the withdrawal properties in general of an above average habit/level of use. IE: you rather deal with chills & cold/hot flashes or extreme paranoia/disorientation?

Any opioid, their withdrawal are so nasty and intense, the only thing you can think about while withdrawal is to take a dose so you can eat something without vomiting or sleep 1 or 2 hours.

I hate this question, there is no clear cut answer. Some people say cig's are which is a fucking joke. I've been an on and off smoker since 15 , and i quit ALL the time . Sure i bum cigs here and there or buy a pack but it is so easy to stop right after and take a long break ....

If i would have to guess , it is opiates and benzos. Benzos taking the crown because it can be deadly, so all in all this question will never EVER be able to be answered...

I've withdrawn a few times from opiates, mainly Heroin and it's no fun but I've had harder times trying to quit alcohol and cigarettes. Those two got me down bad, and for many years now.

Also depends on whether we talk about ability to quit continual use short term (to stop using at least for a couple days) or truly long term quit (years or decades of staying clean).

I was never taking a lot of downers so didn't have problems with them but from what I read it's clear that stopping daily heavy use of some opiate/benzo/alcohol is a winner.

However.. long term I believe that stims like meth are comparably difficult to get rid of your life, if not worse, than heroin. It's no problem to quit doing ice after 2 years of everyday use. You will actually feel much better every new day for first 1-14 days after quitting = complete opposite of quitting heroin. The catch is, that cravings for the drug WILL come back again and can appear after months or years. They're usually inconspicuous, it's not an irresistible urge. You don't think nor dream about the drug all day long. But for a second or two your brain will remind you how fucking great you felt when you started doing it, next second you think that you're physically healthy now and that this time you'll handle your shit easily so why not remind those great feelings. It's easy to rationalize "trying" it again no matter how smart you and throw away everything you managed to accomplish during being clean. 3 days after you're tweaking like mad and stressing your body more than you ever did before. Then you quit again. That's the easy part about stims, to quit for suddenly or for few days.
But the cycle can repeat again, twice or 10 times. Often the latter. As a bonus compared to opiates you have permanently damaged most of your body, because as much as stims are not physically addictive they are physically destructive.

Impossible to say generally what's the ultimate hardest drug to quit, for every person that says stims are jokes to opiates there is one person who says the opposite.

Alcohol has got to be the winner man. Towards the later stages of my addiction to the bottle i had to drink to pretty much do anything eat,sleep,im talking anything. I would get the shakes really bad after just a few hours of not drinking. Went to bed one night pretty loaded and feeling alright, woke up the next morning shaking and sweating, 5 min after waking up i was on the floor, i had 2 seizures at my house and another one while i was in the ER. Got put in the ICU for 7 days of what i can only call the most fucked up, insane experience of my life. Even with massive doses of ativan, librium, and valium i still was seeing shit, hearing shit, thinking people were out to 'get me'. I got so out of control i had to be strapped down the the bed for the rest of my ICU stay. I've wd off of alot of opiates before, nothing could compare to the total mindfuck alcohol wd and dt gave me.

The hardest drug to get off is the one you are addicted to right now.

Alcohol has got to be the winner man. Towards the later stages of my addiction to the bottle i had to drink to pretty much do anything eat,sleep,im talking anything. I would get the shakes really bad after just a few hours of not drinking. Went to bed one night pretty loaded and feeling alright, woke up the next morning shaking and sweating, 5 min after waking up i was on the floor, i had 2 seizures at my house and another one while i was in the ER. Got put in the ICU for 7 days of what i can only call the most fucked up, insane experience of my life. Even with massive doses of ativan, librium, and valium i still was seeing shit, hearing shit, thinking people were out to 'get me'. I got so out of control i had to be strapped down the the bed for the rest of my ICU stay. I've wd off of alot of opiates before, nothing could compare to the total mindfuck alcohol wd and dt gave me.

I've never had to deal with alcohol w/d, but this is why I think its probably worse than opiates. Way more people will say opiates are the worst to w/d from because its so easy to get caught up in an addiction. But a serious alcohol withdrawal has got to be absolutely brutal. Same for a real heavy benzo withdrawal.