• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Popular sports supplements contain meth-like compound

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
A sports supplement featured in a USA TODAY investigation is now found to contain a methamphetamine-like chemical that could put people's health at risk.

A popular and controversial sports supplement widely sold in the USA and other countries is secretly spiked with a chemical similar to methamphetamine that appears to have its origins as an illicit designer recreational drug, according to new tests by scientists in the USA and South Korea.

The test results on samples of Craze, a pre-workout powder made by New York-based Driven Sports and marketed as containing only natural ingredients, raise significant health and regulatory concerns, the researchers said.

The U.S. researchers also said they found the same methamphetamine-like chemical in another supplement, Detonate, which is sold as an all-natural weight loss pill by another company: Gaspari Nutrition.

"These are basically brand-new drugs that are being designed in clandestine laboratories where there's absolutely no guarantee of quality control," said Pieter Cohen, an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School and a co-author of the analysis of Craze samples being published today in the peer-reviewed scientific journal Drug Testing and Analysis.

"It has never been studied in the human body," Cohen warned. "Yes, it might make you feel better or have you more pumped up in your workout, but the risks you might be putting your body under of heart attack and stroke are completely unknown."

Craze, which is marketed as giving "unrelenting energy and focus" in workouts, was named 2012's "New Supplement of the Year" by Bodybuilding.com. A USA TODAY investigation published in July reported on other tests detecting amphetamine-like compounds in Craze.

While Walmart.com and several online retailers have stopped selling Craze in the wake of USA TODAY's investigation, the product has continued to be sold elsewhere online and in GNC stores. In recent weeks, Driven Sports' website, which offers Craze for sale, has said the product is out of stock. Detonate is sold by a variety of online retailers.

cont at
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e-find-methamphetamine-like-compound/2968041/

Could someone tell me the meth-like compound the article mentions?

N,alpha-diethylphenethylamine. Interesting that this compound hasn't been discussed at all in drug forums, as far as I can tell. Seems like an obvious analogue.

fictitious inside sources indicate that wal-mart stopped selling this product.. not because it cares about people, as is clearly shown by the way the pay and treat their employees.. but they didn't want to be stuck with a whole bunch if the government tries to make it illegal.

hmmm it says in the article they found N,alpha-diethylphenylethylamine. it doesn't say the amount found though it could be trace. according to chem book it's a controlled substance.

The craze package doesn't list it as an ingredient rather

B-phenylethylamine and NN-dimethyl-B-phenylethylamine several times each? as extracts of dendrobium.

can't wait to get ripped from this stuff, er I mean buff or whatever.

workout powder my ass

phenethylamine and N,N-dimethyl-PEA are next to useless

Bit of a status update, apparently these products have been banned in oz for a few months.
It's getting a lot of exposure on various media outlets who as usual are jumping all over it in typical hysteria, usually they'd be wrong but in this case it seems pretty similar to meth structurally, difference being two ethyl rather than methyl groups

craze_postimage11.png

Someone could also point out the similarity between ephedrine and meth and yet the huge difference in their effects.

A few lab reports show contents of 4mg/g and 8mg/g and one negative for N,alpha-diethylphenylethylamine. one site says analysis showed 21-35mg/5.5g(serve)

disappointing bioassay at 15g; definite stim qualities , no euphoria , increased heart rate, cold sweats some shivering, dilated pupils , reduced appetite, not chatty or communicative like meth. has a pretty big caffeine dose which wore off after bout 3 hours leaving some residual amphet like alertness.

^ I don't know if they changed it from what it used to be, but I have a friend who used to take that craze stuff regularly and reckon it was the shit, I mean for going out on the weekends and stuff not for working out. They are experienced with meth, using it maybe a handful or two times a year for say 3 or 4 years. I never got around to trying the stuff myself, they were taking it orally and I am not a fan of oral stimulants. I know another couple people that did try it once or twice when this dude offered some and whilst not giving rave reviews they said it did give them a decent buzz, said people use methamphetamine regularly.

Why not just put methamphetamine in it? I mean, ignoring the fact that it's illegal. If meth were legal, what would be the societal effect of putting it in accurately labeled products? For one thing, we'd probably be slimmer. Is obesity not a weightier scourge than drug dependency?

If only I could handle stimulants. First GHB and now this I'm beginning to think there are a lot of secrets to some of the shit at GNC.

so I guess the conclusion is even though it is an analog is pretty lame then.. anyone with personal experience on this?

N,alpha-diethylphenethylamine. Interesting that this compound hasn't been discussed at all in drug forums, as far as I can tell.

You know what Bluelight should do? In every thread that a substance is mentioned, we should type out some unique identifier for that substance. Like, maybe this substance has been discussed before, but people have called it something like ethaephetamine or AlphaBomb! or whatever. We'd know for sure if everybody on this board tagged it in the same way.

We couldn't use the IUPAC name because search engines don't interpret punctuation. That also eliminates SMILES (Google doesn't do parentheses). So what could we use?

Actually, IUPAC works pretty well on Google!

So what I'm proposing is that every time somebody talks about this chemical, somebody types N-ethyl-1-phenylbutan-2-amine somewhere in the post. Then, if we wanted to know if it's been discussed, we just plug N-ethyl-1-phenylbutan-2-amine into the search engine.

Orthography would need to be standardized. IUPAC allows for both N-ethyl-1-phenylbutan-2-amine and N-ethyl-1-phenyl-2-butanamine, and I see both of these used by technical sources.

Last edited:
If only I could handle stimulants. First GHB and now this I'm beginning to think there are a lot of secrets to some of the shit at GNC.

same thing i was thinking. can you imagine being able to time travel back to the early 90s or whenever it was that gnc still sold ghb and buy out multiple stores, fly back to 2013 and make a small fortune lol. i cant handle stims either, but working in a health club ive seen every type of steroid and weird supplement known or produced. my old roomate liked stims and lifting too, he drank a bottle of this crap called redline and drank the whole bottle instead of the recomended half, he was shaking, sweating like mad and felt like he was dying lol, no clue whats in that stuff but if it did that to him, id stay waaaaay far from that shite.

'Craze' Workout Supplement Contains Meth-Like Stimulant 'Never Studied In Humans'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...uffer&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Buffer

A sports supplement marketed as giving "unrelenting energy and focus" has been found to contain an "emerging and potentially harmful designer stimulant" similar to methamphetamine.

"Craze," a popular pre-workout supplement sold at GNC and other retailers, was pulled from Walmart's online store following U.S. Anti-Doping Agency tests that found it contained amphetamine-like substances, according to USA Today.

A new study published Monday in the journal Drug Testing and Analysis found that the stimulant in Craze isn't listed on the product's label, and hasn't been studied in humans.

“Alarmingly, we have found a drug in a mainstream sports supplement that has never been studied in humans,” says Dr. Pieter Cohen, an assistant professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School who worked on the study. “The health risk of using supplements adulterated with a drug should not be underestimated.”

The substance, N,alpha-diethylphenylethylamine (N,alpha-DEPEA) was described as a stimulant with effects that are "likely less potent than methamphetamine but greater than ephedrine." Cohen told USA Today that it's difficult to gauge the compound's effects or addictive properties because it hasn't been studied.

"It might make you feel better or have you more pumped up in your workout, but the risks you might be putting your body under of heart attack and stroke are completely unknown," Cohen told USA Today.

According to the Boston Globe, Harvard researchers began studying Craze after two athletes who used it last year were "banned from international competitions after failing World Anti-Doping Agency drug tests." Samples bought from a GNC store and two websites were revealed to contain "21 to 35 milligrams per serving" of N,alpha-DEPEA -- a pharmaceutical-level dose.

Driven Sports, the company that markets Craze, has released various statements contesting the presence of amphetamines in the supplement, and has posted test results on its website claiming that the product is clean.

In July, a USA Today investigation revealed that a top Driven Sports official, Matt Cahill, is a convicted felon who has a history of selling risky dietary supplements.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-matt-cahill-usa-today-investigation/2568815/

so I guess the conclusion is even though it is an analog is pretty lame then.. anyone with personal experience on this?

Yeah check my bioassay in previous post. Pretty decent wakefulness agent, too many side effects for what it was, lacks any euphoria, rush or depth.

I don't think this chem has been discussed on BL previously, I am going to go out on a limb here and say it isn't an amphetamine at all , since it lacks a methyl group on the alpha position.
It hasn't been classified as a derivative of Phenylisobutylamine but I think that's case, I'm certain that phenylisobutylamine is it's predominant metabolite due to N-dealkylation , so you shouldn't test positive in a drug test for meth or amp.

So what I'm proposing is that every time somebody talks about this chemical, somebody types N-ethyl-1-phenylbutan-2-amine somewhere in the post. Then, if we wanted to know if it's been discussed, we just plug N-ethyl-1-phenylbutan-2-amine into the search engine.
Orthography would need to be standardized. IUPAC allows for both N-ethyl-1-phenylbutan-2-amine and N-ethyl-1-phenyl-2-butanamine, and I see both of these used by technical sources.

Put in a CAS number. Unique no matter the orthography.