• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

METHADONE VS. SUBOXONE....Your experience w/each-Which one do u think is better?

Which maintenance med do you think is the best most effective one?

• Methadone

Votes: 42 45.7%
  • Suboxone/Subutex (buprenorphine)

Votes: 50 54.3%

• Total voters
I agree with Lacey, I think it's unfair to say that all people on MMT or BMT are junkies, etc, that's stereotyping and it's really unfair to do that to people on one drug or the other.

Just because someone is using buprenorphine or methadone, doesn't mean their addicted to opiates, or are a junky or anything like that.

Who, what idiot sadist comes up with Suboxone. A medicine you have to wait be sick before you take it. The whole chase is about keeping that sickness away at all costs.

You say that like a heroin addict would never, ever have to go through withdrawals if they didn't invent Suboxone, and I think that's quite a naive view on how drugs, and drug addiction, works.

You say that like a heroin addict would never, ever have to go through withdrawals if they didn't invent Suboxone, and I think that's quite a naive view on how drugs, and drug addiction, works.

No, actually I am very educated on drugs and drug addiction. That comment is just that, a comment about subox. It is actually a very good drug and has done wonders for many people, just not for me. I know the chemistry and how it works. I researched it very well before I decided to try it.

I know that for this addict, there were many times I chose to go through withdrawal CT was forced to withdraw and to get onto suboxone and because of many other reasons.

These are the things that go through my head when in the throes of a withdrawal. Thats it.

besides the fact that takeing benzos with the done are bad,Ihave read there book on methadone and read up on suboxone and the compaireisons.
From what i have read methadone at least for me is gonna be far better even though im scared about the benzo thing.
I started out wanting the bupe but its not in ower city yet so im waiting for my clinic appoinment.
i know im supposedly supposed to have been on one or the other but like ive said after reading about the two extensively methadone will work better for me.
I have also read starting on methadone then moving onto bupe is another option for the tapering....

It is actually a very good drug and has done wonders for many people, just not for me.

OK, I can respect what you are saying now. That makes sense.

Withdrawal is an inevitable part of being addicted/dependent on opiates, so I don't really think that it's a big deal that you should be in withdrawal before taking Suboxone/buprenorphine.

I have also read starting on methadone then moving onto bupe is another option for the tapering....

It is, but moving from methadone to buprenorphine is difficult (more difficult than vice versa). You have to be in withdrawal for quite a while, or at least use a short acting opiate as an intermediate step in between the two.

For anybody and everybody who been on Suboxone or Methadone or BOTH, Tell us about your experience with it, and if you been on both, which one worked better for you? If you feel like one was a total failure and one was a lifesaving success, which one was it or did they both work ok, or did they both suck? If you had to choose,Overall which one do you think is better for addiction management, in your opinion/experience?

I am on bupe maintenance. I was on 200mg of opana daily with the occasional 2 buns/day when I couldnt get opana. It took me usually 3 days from when I started subs to feel 100% not sick. Lacey, you pose an interesting questions. In terms of managing your addiction, of course methadone wins. Anyone who has more than a baby habit still craves on bupe. If I am on methadone, I will be less inclined to go out and cop, because I am satisfied much more than on suboxone.

The truth is, I got on suboxone in order to get clean from ALL opiates/opioids. They call done liquid handcuffs for a reason. I have an uncle who has been going to the clinic for 30 years. I think its a great thing that you still crave on subs; it teaches you how to live a sober lifestyle. Of course, you are still addicted to a drug, but you arent high. I am still in the process of learning to live life without being high all day. Suboxone gives me the benefit of not being in withdrawal, and learning to cope with everyday problems without getting lifted, like im so used to.

Now, if you dont use bupe purely to get clean it allows you to get high and avoid being dopesick. (Unless your tolerance is high enough where any amount of sub will not hold you) All things considered, if your goal is to live a life not chained to opiates, I would always suggest suboxone first. Bupe is a great tool on the road to sobriety. On the other hand, if one has given up on getting completely clean, i do believe methadone would be the best choice.

i dont agree that being on methadone you aint "completely clean." not at all. I am completely clean. dope aint even something that pops into my head anymore. its so far gone out of my life its hard to even believe. It aint fair to consider people on methadone "not totally clean" and people on bupe "totally clean." That dont make sense. If you want to be a tight ass about it (not YOU personally just anyone in general) and say that if you on maintenance you aint clean fine, but then you cant be on SHIT. You cant say bupe is clean and done aint, they either both clean or both not clean.

For me bein clean is being OFF DOPE, and off the DOPE LIFESTYLE. Not THINKING like a junkie, not LIVING like a junkie, not having "junkie" stamped on my heart like i used to. Being clean is bein FREE FROM THE OBSESSION. And on methadone i can say...check, check, check.....

Its a lot more than the drug simply its a whole lot, its your mindset mentality the way you think the way your mind works all that shit.

Anyways, i aint tryna get off topic into clean vs not clean, but im just sayin. I cant stand it when people paint methadone as some kind of drug thats only for people who 'dont really want to get clean."

This is the shit I dont understand. if addiction IS a disease which i aint so sure of, but say it is--that means its lifetime, right? Addict forever, youll always be a drug addict and always want it, etc. Sooo...Then, WTF is wrong with making that life as pleasant and happy as possible by being on a drug like methadone that kills your cravings and makes you able to live a normal life???

why SHOULD you have to feel cravings forever, just so you can learn to ignore them, and life a miserable life full of all that leftover garbage from your addiction still plaguing you? Fuck that.

It aint like people on methadone are totally unable to avoid cravings. there was a few times i could not get my methadone for a day or 2 at a time and i never once went back to dope to fill in. I stayed and lived thru the wd's til i could get my shit again, you know? it aint like methadone is the "easy way" and it aint right to make it out like that.

ive never tried methadone and im not addicted to anything altough i will say my rec use of opiates is more than just a good time kinda thing but i have tried suboxone and i use it to get high but i think for the price around here You cant post prices of drugs in here yo, please read our forum rules. per pill is crazy its not that great ill keep my oxy's, and yes i know ppl will read this and say duh its supposed to get you off drugs but im a drug user to getr high and wanted to try it because of the hype i hear, wasn't impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find methadone to be way more superior. It's such a subjective question though it's somewhat pointless to even bother asking it.

I think methadone is better because although it's not exactly a shot of heroin, it seemed to replicate what dope did in my brain alot closer than buprenorphine could, and i think this is due to the full agonism of methadone. And for me just having my brain tweaked in that specific way compared to how bupe effected me made all the difference in assisting me to stop thinking about dope daily and feel stable on my dose and not craving the full agonist feeling of morphine like drugs.

In saying that though Buprenorphine most def. has it's place in treating opioid dependency. And it's great that there is two vastly different options for addicts to try, because we're all different or at different stages of mindstate in the cleaning up process and each drug works better for different people, some find bupe to work better, some prefer methadone. Personally i prefer Methadone.

And i agree with Lacey K, it's pretty fucking stupid to claim that someone on one drug is clean whilest someone on another drug isn't clean, it dosn't work like that lol. If you clean, clean means what lacey said, basically you're just like other people now except you drink 20mL of liquid a day or whatever. Much different to being fullblown in the dope game still. Obviously though on methadone or buprenorphine you're technically still a drug addict, and when you're on nothing you're not a drug addict or dependent, but you can't claim one drug: clean and another: dirty.

Also another thing like Lacey said people need to be thinking about the drug itself, or state that you only use buprenorphine over methadone because you dont want to be chained to a clinic.. A little on that; here in australia buprenorphine is treated exactly the same as methadone, it requires daily dosing at a chemist or methadone clinic, you gotto wait 5 minutes after dosing to stop people diverting medication... So in Australia there is no incentive to use bupe like in the usa where i can understand the huge incentive of just getting your box of tablets every month and be able to take them home and dose as you please ect.... In that respect then everyone would claim bupe is better but we gotto keep it to strictly how you feel about each drug compared to the other. If i were in usa i must admit the idea of having bupe not being on daily pickup would entice me into atleast contemplating using bupe... But like i said here in australia this isnt the case.

Last edited:
ive never tried methadone and im not addicted to anything altough i will say my rec use of opiates is more than just a good time kinda thing but i have tried suboxone and i use it to get high but i think for the price around here You cant post prices of drugs in here yo, please read our forum rules. per pill is crazy its not that great ill keep my oxy's, and yes i know ppl will read this and say duh its supposed to get you off drugs but im a drug user to getr high and wanted to try it because of the hype i hear, wasn't impressed.

This thread aint about whether you get high on suboxone or how good of a high you think it is. the question is for people who been addicted to opiates and have used sub or methadone as addiction treatment.

Anyways Blayze...thanks for your intelligent post, good reply:) Glad to see this thread bumped again.

This thread aint about whether you get high on suboxone or how good of a high you think it is. the question is for people who been addicted to opiates and have used sub or methadone as addiction treatment.

Anyways Blayze...thanks for your intelligent post, good reply:) Glad to see this thread bumped again.

God finally someone gets my name right(or remembers the days of bluelight sigs alot more than most..) haha much respect lacey.:)

They both suck...suboxone isn't "addictive" as methodone but stops doing its normal effects super quick....methodone is just used to prevent street crime you do the math. Both get you feeling great mixed with benzos. Both suck dick to come off of after being on for a long time...everyone is better off just detoxing off there opiod then going on any of this bullshit.

^Not true. Don't you understand how addiction works man? It's not just a case of detoxing off whatever opiate you're on and then you're fine... Most people relapse back into the game, replacement therapy can change the inevitable cycle for people..Dont be so close minded declarkified.

by the way i just wanted to share in here that one of my family members died from a methadone overdose, and I still 100% feel like its the superior medication for addiction management...Alot of people use not quite logical reasons when they say it aint as good as suboxone-like sayin its easier to OD on, or people are more likely to abuse it, etc, that its more dangerous than sub....Shit like that shouldnt be goin into your judgement on how effective the medication is. Alot of people say "oh well my _____ died or almost died from methadone and look at how easy it is to die if you mix it with benzos" etc, but anything is dangerous if you mix it the wrong way. When methadone is used AS PRESCRIBED, it ain dangerous..Just somethin to think about.

I wanted to bump this thread too since Im suprised it aint gettin responses so far, everybody loves to argue about it in other threads not about that, but when theres a thread just for this nobod wants to post :p

While it is true that these things have nothing to do with the effectiveness of the medicine, they still are something to bear in mind when choosing which is the better one for addiction treatment. People who abuse opiates are prone to abusing other drugs, and to rule these things out as irrelevant would really be missing the big picture. Which would be the safer choice? Suboxone for sure. I think this is pretty important, especially when the drug is used to treat somebody who is a drug addict, who probably has a past of abusing drugs other than opiates. The negative interactions from these drugs can really be life or death for someone on methadone, but this isn't nearly as much of an issue with suboxone. That's just my opinion though. Both these drugs work well for long term treatment, but getting off of them becomes a real problem because of the duration of the withdrawal symptoms. I've heard methadone called "liquid handcuffs" because it's so damn hard to quit. Quitting suboxone isn't a walk in the park either, I've yet to have a successful attempt. From what I've heard though methadone seems like the wds might be a little bit worse. I don't know, it seems for me in every area suboxone wins, but since I haven't tried methadone i don't really know how effective it is. Maybe it is the better choice, but I'm not about to switch from sub to methadone anytime soon, and i don't plan on relapsing and having to make a choice about whether i want to chose one or the other anytime soon, so I may never know.

OK, I'm done ranting now

While it is true that these things have nothing to do with the effectiveness of the medicine, they still are something to bear in mind when choosing which is the better one for addiction treatment. People who abuse opiates are prone to abusing other drugs, and to rule these things out as irrelevant would really be missing the big picture. Which would be the safer choice? Suboxone for sure. I think this is pretty important, especially when the drug is used to treat somebody who is a drug addict, who probably has a past of abusing drugs other than opiates. The negative interactions from these drugs can really be life or death for someone on methadone, but this isn't nearly as much of an issue with suboxone. That's just my opinion though. Both these drugs work well for long term treatment, but getting off of them becomes a real problem because of the duration of the withdrawal symptoms. I've heard methadone called "liquid handcuffs" because it's so damn hard to quit. Quitting suboxone isn't a walk in the park either, I've yet to have a successful attempt. From what I've heard though methadone seems like the wds might be a little bit worse. I don't know, it seems for me in every area suboxone wins, but since I haven't tried methadone i don't really know how effective it is. Maybe it is the better choice, but I'm not about to switch from sub to methadone anytime soon, and i don't plan on relapsing and having to make a choice about whether i want to chose one or the other anytime soon, so I may never know.

OK, I'm done ranting now

Hey mate. I pretty much agree with everything you've said here. I think Buprenorphine should always be tried first, i only believe this not because it's easier to kick or whatever but because it's slightly safer, when keeping in mind the nature of the people who're being treated, they're likely to still be poly-drug using.

Although on methadone this isnt a huge danger as people on mmt a hugely tolerance to the methadone.

It just comes down to how the drugs work for you personally, in your situation, you started buprenorphine, you were/are happy with it, there's no reason to interrupt the stability you've got now just to try methadone, so i fully agree with you there, it would be stupid to change something thats working for you.

Like i said i think people should be first forced to atleast give subs a go, purely because they're safer and apparently dont induce as intense PAWS and such(an aspect of this drug i dispute..). But anyways thats how i think it should be, then if you dont find buprenorphine to be effective enough perhaps then give Methadone ago.

It simply makes more sense to try bupe first, you're not going to get someone to try methadone first, then they might want to see what the deal with bupe is, and then they have to wait until they're in peak kick before they can try bupe... But if you come in, wait for heroin w.ds to start which dosnt take very long at all give them bupe first, it just makes sense, then if they dont like the bupe they can try methadone.

I believe this is logical and the way it should be done, most who try methadone first arent ever gunna even give bupe a chance. And if they do its gunna be more painful going from methadone to bupe compared to just going to bupe first from heroin which is alot easier. I'm sure you guys see what i mean here.

As for the addictiveness of the two drugs. Has anyone actually successfully kicked suboxone here and can attest to it being easier kick than an equipotent methadone habit? I kinda doubt this, i reckon buprenorphine has the ability to possible cause even worse and longer lingering PAWS than methadone, it's halflife is longer...

I dont know, but i atleast think bupe is just as hard as methadone in the least. You have to remember buprenorphine hasn't been around in the same context as methadone has for very long... It came into the game like what 2004 or something? Methadone was first used in Australia for heroin depedence in 1969, even earlier in the usa i'd say.. So the "liquid handcuffs" and shit you hear people say is subjective, and bupe hasnt had the time to have such elaborate names made up for it lol.

Hey mate. I pretty much agree with everything you've said here. I think Buprenorphine should always be tried first, i only believe this not because it's easier to kick or whatever but because it's slightly safer, when keeping in mind the nature of the people who're being treated, they're likely to still be poly-drug using.

Although on methadone this isnt a huge danger as people on mmt a hugely tolerance to the methadone.

It just comes down to how the drugs work for you personally, in your situation, you started buprenorphine, you were/are happy with it, there's no reason to interrupt the stability you've got now just to try methadone, so i fully agree with you there, it would be stupid to change something thats working for you.

Like i said i think people should be first forced to atleast give subs a go, purely because they're safer and apparently dont induce as intense PAWS and such(an aspect of this drug i dispute..). But anyways thats how i think it should be, then if you dont find buprenorphine to be effective enough perhaps then give Methadone ago.

It simply makes more sense to try bupe first, you're not going to get someone to try methadone first, then they might want to see what the deal with bupe is, and then they have to wait until they're in peak kick before they can try bupe... But if you come in, wait for heroin w.ds to start which dosnt take very long at all give them bupe first, it just makes sense, then if they dont like the bupe they can try methadone.

I believe this is logical and the way it should be done, most who try methadone first arent ever gunna even give bupe a chance. And if they do its gunna be more painful going from methadone to bupe compared to just going to bupe first from heroin which is alot easier. I'm sure you guys see what i mean here.

As for the addictiveness of the two drugs. Has anyone actually successfully kicked suboxone here and can attest to it being easier kick than an equipotent methadone habit? I kinda doubt this, i reckon buprenorphine has the ability to possible cause even worse and longer lingering PAWS than methadone, it's halflife is longer...

I dont know, but i atleast think bupe is just as hard as methadone in the least. You have to remember buprenorphine hasn't been around in the same context as methadone has for very long... It came into the game like what 2004 or something? Methadone was first used in Australia for heroin depedence in 1969, even earlier in the usa i'd say.. So the "liquid handcuffs" and shit you hear people say is subjective, and bupe hasnt had the time to have such elaborate names made up for it lol.

lol yeah I'm not quite sure which would be harder to kick. Since methadone is a full agonist, I'm assuming the WD's might be a little bit worse than the WD's from bupe. The WDs from bupe are terrible though, i know this first hand, and it isn't easy to quit. They both have pretty long half lifes, I'm pretty sure they are around the same (24-36 hours) so i think that the duration of the withdrawal symptoms would probably be around the same, possibly longer for suboxone. Though the wikipedia article i read about methadone WD's made them seem like they would me much worse.

From Wiki

"Withdrawal symptoms have shown to be up to twice as severe than those of morphine or heroin at equivalent doses and are significantly more prolonged; methadone withdrawal symptoms can last for several weeks or more. A general guideline is a 1:1 ratio for trouble free detox. Being on a constant dose of say 100 mg. for one year, can take 18–24 months for safe detoxification. At high maintenance doses, sudden cessation of therapy can result in withdrawal symptoms described as "the worst withdrawal imaginable," lasting from weeks to months"

I know wikipedia isn't the most reliable source of information, and the horrible withdrawal they are describing is probably the result of jumping off a decent sized dose, but nonetheless sounds god awful.

I know i probably have a bit of a biased view, since i used sub and it worked for me. Some people suboxone works for, others methadone. But in my opinion, if one is thinking about starting a maintenance therapy program they should definitely try taking suboxone first, since many believe that methadone is more addicting both physically and mentally (Not to say Suboxone isn't also both of these things)

^Not true. Don't you understand how addiction works man? It's not just a case of detoxing off whatever opiate you're on and then you're fine... Most people relapse back into the game, replacement therapy can change the inevitable cycle for people..Dont be so close minded declarkified.

I know exactly how addiction works...i've been on both suboxone and methodone....they work good for replacement therapy yet coming off of both your more then likely to come back to your orignal doc...the only way your going to have a chance in hell to stay clean is to work a program through NA....i didn't mean you just detox and your fine...for me, i had to come off methodone in jail, cold turkey, i was sick for a fucking month...so i don't support anything having to do with methodone, it works for very few in the long run...very few.

lol yeah I'm not quite sure which would be harder to kick. Since methadone is a full agonist, I'm assuming the WD's might be a little bit worse than the WD's from bupe. The WDs from bupe are terrible though, i know this first hand, and it isn't easy to quit. They both have pretty long half lifes, I'm pretty sure they are around the same (24-36 hours) so i think that the duration of the withdrawal symptoms would probably be around the same, possibly longer for suboxone. Though the wikipedia article i read about methadone WD's made them seem like they would me much worse.

When you were going through sub withdrawals, did at any point you give in and take some?

The reason I ask is because I've just recently started bupe and I find that it helps curb cravings, but I don't really feel much of anything. And obviously, after having a pretty big habit of any kind of opiate/opioid, an addict is going to miss that 'rush/high' and I was wondering, if I stopped taking my sub:

1) About how long would it take until withdrawal sets in?

2) Once I'm withdrawing pretty badly, will I get that same feeling of huge relief just as I did when I was in withdrawal from norcos and I acquired some and took a big dose?

It sounds pretty stupid but I almost want to wait for withdrawal to set in before I take my next dose, so that I can FEEL something. The only time I've felt anything on these was when I came in to my doctor on day one.

I know Suboxone is specifically designed to make you feel 'normal' and not 'high' but I almost find myself thinking of switching to Methadone just to get that 'high'...I guess I'm still in the wrong mindset for Suboxone to properly work...

New here

Hi. I am new here and have nom idea how to post on here. I have been on painkillers for two years for three different surgeries. I have taken percocet dilaudid and vidicon. I haven't taken anything in six weeks. Still the cravings and thoughts of wanting to take something overwhelm me at times. I am trying to decide whether or not to start on suboxone or not. Any help is much appreciated

We never had a thread of this before, but i think we need one, since I noticed that alot of yall got some pretty strong feelings about these 2 drugs and which one works better, etc. So heres the spot for it.

For anybody and everybody who been on Suboxone or Methadone or BOTH, Tell us about your experience with it, and if you been on both, which one worked better for you? If you feel like one was a total failure and one was a lifesaving success, which one was it or did they both work ok, or did they both suck? If you had to choose,Overall which one do you think is better for addiction management, in your opinion/experience?

Some people swear by sub and call it a miracle drug, other people cant stand it for the life of them. Some people HATE methadone, and other folks say it saved their life. There cant really be a objective 'winner' since each one will work different for different ppl, and it really depend on the individual, but you can just share your experience for wat its worth.

I know alot of us been on both and have tried one or the other and got really strong feelings about it, so here is the place to share em and battle it out. Ill add a poll on here too so you can vote which one you think is better--but please reply to the thread and write about ur experience on either/both, dont just vote, i wanna hear yall opinions!:)

New here

Hey guys. I have to decide whether or not to start suboxone. Seeing doc in the a. M. Been addicted to opiates for two years Prescribed to me for a few surgeries. Had a problem over 5 years ago and kicked it myself. This time I am older have a kid and not buying off the street. No that it matters. Anyway. I haven't used anything in six weeks but still have absurd cravings and think about what doctor I could call to get a rx. I am bipolar type two as well. Just looking for any feedback. Since I haven't used in so long is it stupid to start subs now???

I know exactly how addiction works...i've been on both suboxone and methodone....they work good for replacement therapy yet coming off of both your more then likely to come back to your orignal doc...the only way your going to have a chance in hell to stay clean is to work a program through NA....i didn't mean you just detox and your fine...for me, i had to come off methodone in jail, cold turkey, i was sick for a fucking month...so i don't support anything having to do with methodone, it works for very few in the long run...very few.

Sounds like you just have a bias opinion about methadone because you were stupid enough to get yourself into jail and were forced to kick there. Obviously it would have been fucking HELL and i feel you, i do, and thats why i think you're just bias because you had such a fucked up time, month long waking nightmare, without the sleep. Alot of strong emotions and shit would have been stirred up there.

But honestly thats your own fault, if you had've given methadone maintence your all, how the fuck did you end up in jail anyways, you obviously weren't keeping to the mmt. Some people need something else to get them away from crime and the whole game of opiate addiction. It's pretty much proven people are able to live much better lives addicted to methadone or bupe than addicted to iv'ing street bought heroin.

But obviously on mmt or bmt you're only swapping drugs, thats obvious, and yeah you're still stuck with an addiction, but you're working on the mental part of it while you're on methadone, you're not on 'done to be getting buzzed man, and you wont. When you're ready which is going to take atleast a year of mmt it's time to think about quitting methadone maybe if you want off. Thing is you dont have to go cold turkey in a fucking prison cell lol. Slowly taper, taper then taper some more over the course of however fucking long it takes. Then jump off the smallest dose possible.

Obviously this isnt ideal but thats the deal when you get addicted to an opiate, i only think methadone and bupe should be used in serious cases where you're kinda choosing the least of two evils(and by that the evils of heroin are more the lifestyle and lack of consistancy with source and product, i'm aware heroin addiction dosn't last up to 4 weeks) so the person can get their shit together mentally, while they're at a stage where if they're not on heroin, they're going to be doing more destructive opiates, iv heroin or iv oxy,dillies whatever, instead of that you can give them a way to be well 24/7 without being clouded and high as fuck, and let them work on the mental aspect of things and get them to a point where they can slowly slowly taper down and get off methadone without instantly jumping back to full blown use of the drug that lead to them being on methadone.

In this respect, you're wrong and methadone is a good option if the person fits the right criteria. I dont think someone on a drug weaker in a sense than methadone should start using a stronger more addicting drug to get off of a much weaker one.

It's a hard thing though, but the fact is that there are some people out there that through heavy iv heroin abuse need something like methadone to stop and cant stop without it.

MMT dosn't have to be the nightmare you turned it into man.