• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Need suggestions on treating a +/- 3 yo dog that has anxiety when raining

Speed King

Bluelighter
I have a young dog that was a rescue from Florida. It?s a mix, She looks like a small greyhound(ish) dog crossed with a jack russell terrier.

We figure that she spent some time on the street prior to rescue.

Lately, when it rains, she shakes noticeably and will start panting the entire time it rains outside, no matter if it is lite or heavy.

Theoretically, if she lived on the street and was stuck in tropical storm weather, I could understand better.

Has anyone ran into a similar situation and any suggestions?

I keep trying to give you links but everytime I leave thia page my text dissappears.

Google anxiety relief for dogs. There are lots of things like pills even some herbal options. There are things you can plug in that helps.

Also soothe her during these times. Cuddles, kisses g

Yeah they do prozac for dogs, might be an option, I had a lab that we had to get it for because he freaked out every time he was alone... the guy we rescued him from would lock him in a closet when he was binging.

I keep trying to give you links but everytime I leave thia page my text dissappears.

Google anxiety relief for dogs. There are lots of things like pills even some herbal options. There are things you can plug in that helps.

Also soothe her during these times. Cuddles, kisses g

I heard they have vests that cuddle the dog.

I will utfse, lol, but I am always interested in community feedback. I will also comfort her.

I live in Florida and I have a rescue dachshund that flips out when it thunders as well (she loves July 4th too, let me tell you). I was thinking about getting her a thundershirt but she doesn't like anything constricting. She growls and protests every time I put her raincoat on her so I passed on the thundershirt because I don't want to stress her out even more. She likes to go underneath a desk so when a storm blows in so I just cover the opening with a blanket to damp out some of the noise and make it more enclosed.

Mine is like that too. The only thing that works is him sitting directly on my chest.

my parents? dog does the exact same thing. my aunt is a vet and gave them a script for trazodone. which is cruel and stupid in my opinion. i told her she should give them xanax for it instead and she said i don?t know what i?m talking about and trazadone works better. in my observation it never kicks in before the storm is over and doesn?t do anything but make the dog stumble around the next day.

so my veterinarian aunt suggests trazadone. i don?t understand why not xanax.

tv being on loud helps. annoying, but it helps.

^ Trazodone for a dog? That's a new one to me. Our vet used to give valium for ours when it was a fireworks holiday but it didn't seem to work that great.

When we lived in S. Florida, our dog would shake like crazy and pant like yours from thunder and that was from the reverberation inside the house. I can't imagine being left outside in that. What he would do is hide under the pool table. What we did was keep the radio/tv on loud, pet him a lot and at night always had my box fan on to drown noise out.

my parents? dog does the exact same thing. my aunt is a vet and gave them a script for trazodone. which is cruel and stupid in my opinion. i told her she should give them xanax for it instead and she said i don?t know what i?m talking about and trazadone works better. in my observation it never kicks in before the storm is over and doesn?t do anything but make the dog stumble around the next day.

tv being on loud helps. annoying, but it helps.

That?s funny, I was thinking of some Valium.
Wouldn?t do it. She would sleep for a few days.

I had an extremely ill-tempered cat. The vet gave me Xanax and told me never to bring him back un-drugged. I had another cat who had problems with car sickness and the vet told me to give him Benadryl before the long drive from Florida to Vermont when I still went up there for the summers.

my parents own a black lab, and she was prescribed Xanax to take whenever it would start storming.

my parents own a black lab, and she was prescribed Xanax to take whenever it would start storming.

That?s what I think. I?d rather give her something like that, but main family member said no to drugs. I think that would be a quick fix.

My friend has a really intense blue heeler dog, if you've ever known any cattle dogs you'll know what I mean by "intense". He has brought her on planes a couple of times (as an "emotional support" dog) and whenever he does that he gets her a small prescription of valium from the vet. He says it works like a charm, he can just carry her around and she's super chill. Of course, he's not trying to prevent terror, he's trying to prevent her being all worked up and barking at everything in excitement.