• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Meds for social anxiety (I'm so angry right now)

AnrBjotk

Bluelighter
I have in the last two years developed an extreme social anxiety (as previous post will show) but have still decided to attempt to proceed with my education. I can no longer participate in group discussions as I once could, as my entire body shakes and my voice stutter like some idiot...
I pleaded with my shrink to give me _something_ to make me relax so that I might be able to get some friends and seem less retarded in the first few weeks.
I am currently being treated with Remeron for sleep and Subutex for addiction and/or depression.
A week ago, meeting my psychiatrist after a long-winded talk he prescribes me "Buspirone/Buspar". (I was secretly hoping for some benzos, NOT because of the recreational view - I always hated them - but because benzos give immediate and real cessation of anxiety).

I could not be more angry with my so-called "doctors". I said I needed something that would help me NOW, so I would not become the retard that is awkward and shy and make a good first impression. NOT ONLY has Buspirone done nothing, it HAS made me foggy, shaky, sweaty and disoriented, making me seem more nervous and insane.

Why do they make these useless drugs? Like SSRI's, these medication only work to make you numb and poor and waste your time. Why can't someone like me, who's entire life is DESTROYED my social fear and anxiety get something that works, like valium or xanax? Because of past drug addiction? Does that mean I am doomed to never have friends and always be afraid, unable to get the ONE drug that would work? (And please dont tell me about therapy. I've gone for ten years and been told I should just give up on therapy.)

Help me... somehow... I'm so f*cking depressed and angry and sick of my life and just want some relief, something that calms me down....

Last edited:
The few reviews of Buspar I've found basically say the same as this one review: "Buspar is widely regarded as the most useless drug around."
Why? Why? Why do drug companies do this? Why do they create drugs that do nothing causing suicide and a worsening of life for people like me who need HELP and effective reduction of social anxiety?
Most likely I'll just get pissed on booze before the next social meeting, however early in the day and eventually drop out...

Hey there, I'm not surprised you failed to procure a benzodiazepine rx considering you are on Suboxone maintenance. They exasperate the CNS depressant effect and many doctors are extremely hesitant if not downright opposed to rx'ing them in tandem. You are right to point out the shortcomings of big pharma when it comes to the development of effective non-benzodiazepine drugs for anxiety. Unless you can find a more compassionate doctor I'm afraid you're limited in your options. There are some effective (more effective than Buspar) OTC supplements that you can use to boost your levels of GABA.

If you think threatening yourself with alcohol is the solution.. wait til you get a dependence to that stuff. I believe Randy Bachman put it best when he said 'you ain't seen nothing yet'.

Hey there, I'm not surprised you failed to procure a benzodiazepine rx considering you are on Suboxone maintenance. They exasperate the CNS depressant effect and many doctors are extremely hesitant if not downright opposed to rx'ing them in tandem. You are right to point out the shortcomings of big pharma when it comes to the development of effective non-benzodiazepine drugs for anxiety. Unless you can find a more compassionate doctor I'm afraid you're limited in your options. There are some effective (more effective than Buspar) OTC supplements that you can use to boost your levels of GABA.

If you think threatening yourself with alcohol is the solution.. wait til you get a dependence to that stuff. I believe Randy Bachman put it best when he said 'you ain't seen nothing yet'.

You mean dependence to alcohol? Because 'been there done that'.

I feared that, but - not to seem inversely boastful - if anyone needed benzos it was me. I am completely unable to function in social situations, and could need something to calm down the nerves.
I've met many ex-addicts who are on 8mg subutex and 2mg klonopin - and I'm on 2mg subutex...

This just reminds me of the first days of SSRI's and the complete despair of eating non-useful pills with icky sideeffects (the Buspar gives me: foggyness, dizziness, electric zaps and increased heart rate).

What do you mean by OTC-supplements, then?

The only non-benzodiazepine rx drug that I've found effective at relieving anxiety is gabapentin and it's big brother pregabalin. You may have luck procuring these from a doctor even if the doctor knows your history of opiate dependence.

As for OTC stuff, if you don't care about dependence and want something that will clearly work I'd roll with Phenibut. Theanine is also fairly effective at inhibiting GABA. Picamilon worked to upregulate GABA-a without causing dependence. RC's available online can be learned about on our OD board - things like etizolam, however this may interfere with your (probably) mandatory drug tests so caveat emptor as they say.

Your Dr. may be a bit dense for Rxing you buspirone, as it has a reputation for being totally ineffective, but you aren't really justified if in being angry that he didn't RX you a benzo right off the bat. Most docs don't use benzos as a first line of defense for chronic anxiety and for good reason; they are fiercely addictive drugs and become ineffective for many people who need anxiety relief on a daily basis. More importantly, for someone who has struggled with addiction, it would be bordering on negligence to prescribe benzos right out the gate.

Ask your doctor about Lyrica. It is much more effective than benzos for me, and while I feel it is every bit as recreational, most doctors won't see it this way.

Your Dr. may be a bit dense for Rxing you buspirone, as it has a reputation for being totally ineffective, but you aren't really justified if in being angry that he didn't RX you a benzo right off the bat. Most docs don't use benzos as a first line of defense for chronic anxiety and for good reason; they are fiercely addictive drugs and become ineffective for many people who need anxiety relief on a daily basis. More importantly, for someone who has struggled with addiction, it would be bordering on negligence to prescribe benzos right out the gate.

Ask your doctor about Lyrica. It is much more effective than benzos for me, and while I feel it is every bit as recreational, most doctors won't see it this way.

I suppose the reason I am "angry" is that I asked him because I have a big speech to do in a weeks time, and because he said "this prescription" will work "right away". There are two lies there: 1) It doesn't work right away, it takes several weeks (I read), and 2) it doesn't work at all.

So when the big day comes I'll be as nervous as always, and will look like a retard and get low status in the group... And I won't get lyrica - which I doubt anyway - until a few weeks, by which time the damage is done... Why couldn't I have gotten a few benzos to take right before necessary moments?

(PS: I'm not even sure I want to take Buspar before the next presentation as it makes me shake a lot for some hours after taking it...)

clonazepam and lyrica work great for me. try to get your hands on them. my gp and shrink give them to me.

clonazepam and lyrica work great for me. try to get your hands on them. my gp and shrink give them to me.

I know, I know. That's my point. Those two work... Those two I wanted. But instead I was given this useless placebo.

i really dont think drugs are your answer here. are you receiving cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)? there are lots of good books out there that can help you to overcome social anxiety. the one ive been using is called "overcoming social anxiety and shyness" by gillian butler. its very good, probably the best book on the subject.

Problem is: How do I ask for benzos without seeming to want to score drugs? He'll assume I want them for the wrong reason... When all I want is anxiety-relief...

i really dont think drugs are your answer here. are you receiving cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)? there are lots of good books out there that can help you to overcome social anxiety. the one ive been using is called "overcoming social anxiety and shyness" by gillian butler. its very good, probably the best book on the subject.

Oh, please... I've read about twenty books, been to five seminars and courses, had five therapists and nothing has worked... My therapist said herself: "Therapy is not working, so we will try drugs".
I just need the right drugs.

Last time I checked this was not the site to come and ask how to score drugs. I gave you a few useful suggestions but I can't elaborate more without breaking forum rules.

Last time I checked this was not the site to come and ask how to score drugs. I gave you a few useful suggestions but I can't elaborate more without breaking forum rules.

Oh, no, no! I didn't mean to imply anything like that! I'm not asking how to "scam my doc". Exactly the opposite. How can I ask for benzos for anxiety relief without making it look as if I want something to get high on. I need something strong, something that will help.
I fail to see how I can be refused medication if it would work. They could at least let me try for a week or two...

Problem is: How do I ask for benzos without seeming to want to score drugs? He'll assume I want them for the wrong reason... When all I want is anxiety-relief...

Before this dissolves into talk of how to get certain medications out of your doctor, I'll remind everyone that this is strictly against the guidelines. Please keep this conversation away from that.

Oh, please... I've read about twenty books, been to five seminars and courses, had five therapists and nothing has worked... My therapist said herself: "Therapy is not working, so we will try drugs".
I just need the right drugs.

Unfortunately you're going to have to do what many before you have done and deal with the medication run-around that you're going through. You can't expect a doctor/psych to prescribe you something else because it's what you want.

To be fair, you haven't even given the Buspar a chance. You said it yourself that it takes a couple of weeks to work, and you were given it with enough time to adjust to it before your speech.

Before this dissolves into talk of how to get certain medications out of your doctor, I'll remind everyone that this is strictly against the guidelines. Please keep this conversation away from that.

Unfortunately you're going to have to do what many before you have done and deal with the medication run-around that you're going through. You can't expect a doctor/psych to prescribe you something else because it's what you want.

To be fair, you haven't even given the Buspar a chance. You said it yourself that it takes a couple of weeks to work, and you were given it with enough time to adjust to it before your speech.

But, I'm really not trying to break rules or scam anyone... Just get meds that work.

True, I'll have to give it more time. But why would he say it works right away when clearly it doesn't?

But, I'm really not trying to break rules or scam anyone... Just get meds that work.

I know you're not, just don't want anyone misinterpreting your statement

True, I'll have to give it more time. But why would he say it works right away when clearly it doesn't?

That may have to do with his ignorance on the actual details behind the medication, rather than straight up lying. There's a lot of different medications and it has to be difficult on keeping up to date with them. Most medical professionals don't want to spend their spare time brushing up on these things.

I know you're not, just don't want anyone misinterpreting your statement

That may have to do with his ignorance on the actual details behind the medication, rather than straight up lying. There's a lot of different medications and it has to be difficult on keeping up to date with them. Most medical professionals don't want to spend their spare time brushing up on these things.

Fair enough. But when mental health is concerned you'd think he would brush up before writing a script. What do they think? "It hasn't worked before, but might do now?" And how come SO many people online say it doesn't work when it's still being manufactured?

^ Perhaps in an ideal world where big pharma didn't control the field of psychiatry.

Well, he might, but essentially he knows what medications are used to treat what disorders and probably not a lot about how effective they really are.

Plus incentives from certain manufacturers can bias his opinions. But this is all guesswork.

I'd continue with your medication up until your speech and see how it goes. You're already planning for a worst case scenario, so anything else is a positive. After that go see your psych again and talk to them about your concerns. I doubt there is really anything you can do before then.

Well, he might, but essentially he knows what medications are used to treat what disorders and probably not a lot about how effective they really are.

Plus incentives from certain manufacturers can bias his opinions. But this is all guesswork.

I'd continue with your medication up until your speech and see how it goes. You're already planning for a worst case scenario, so anything else is a positive. After that go see your psych again and talk to them about your concerns. I doubt there is really anything you can do before then.

Of course. That IS the worst case scenario. The entire point was to get some meds to help me through that speech, thus lessening the humiliation. Ineffective drugs is the same as nothing, all I got is slightly less money for food. It's a waste of everyone's time.
Most likely, after damage done, I see him again, says it's not working and he puts me on another equally useless substance and round and round we go until he either stops giving me anything or gives me benzos. When we both know from the start what works...