• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Drug/Legal issues impacting school/job

just wanted to echo the positive praise, buckling down and turning your life around, thats a hell of an accomplishment.

anyway from my experience I dont recall being asked about a criminal past for STATE uni's, but ive had a few friends who were applying private uni's and for them they needed to say if they had a criminal past or not. So maybe staying on the public route may be better.

also have you talked to a councelor at your JC about this, they can be loads of help when transfering.

I've never heard of a question about criminal history. I've never been asked it.

Your objective should to be kick ass in school so you'll be so damn qualified that they won't care about a possession conviction years in the past

Careers that don't drug test

What type of careers are available that do not drug test? I'm a college student right now with great grades, so I can pretty much go into whatever field I want. I'm not really interested in any career, but I know I want to earn a nice about of money, no less than $50,000 a year. I love drugs and would not give them up for a job, unless I was earning $80,000+ a year, and I would only do that for a few years to save up and get ahead. I'm definitely not addicted to anything and can easily refrain from drugs for any amount of time, but I find that using them responsibly really enhances my quality of life and I would not give up that part of my life for a career. Passing a drug test to get a job is no problem. So what types of careers do you guys know of that do not drug test regularly? Your answers will greatly help by providing direction. I need to know what kinds of careers to investigate. Thanks. ;)

Rather than a bunch of us taking shots in the dark, why don't you post a list of potential careers you may be interested in and we can help you narrow them down.

Also, what are you studying in college? What are your interests?

In my experience, many jobs will drug test you upon hire and won't test you again unless you are injured, injure someone, or break something. Then again, those were usually retail-type jobs. I am aware of some government jobs that drug test once a month. Like I said above, give us some more info and we'll be able to better help you.

Jerry Atrick- hahaha, one of my friends calls me that. Basically I'm in community college right now just taking care of general education requirements. I have not committed myself to any major. Really I can't say what I would be interested in for a career, except that I want to do something promising like for example nursing. I don't know if I'd even enjoy that, but I'm just trying to relate that some careers are in demand and will be in demand 10 years from now. I have worked retail before but that it not my cup of tea, and I think I also need to avoid desk type jobs. One of my goals is to start my own business from home, but I want to get into some real work first, to fund my business and to have financial security. I enjoy science related things, and I'm thinking I might get into a medical related profession because there seem to be a lot of related jobs that are promising.

With the growing concern of drug use there is a growing amount of drug tests. I worked at a rinky dink greenhouse last spring and even they tested

Also your not addicted but your not willing to give up getting high for your career? Hmm

AND you want to make more than 50k a year? HA!

^ its interesting, I've heard that from several people (you, the chemist, among others). It must have some real truth behind it :D

I'll give it a shot.

With the growing concern of drug use there is a growing amount of drug tests. I worked at a rinky dink greenhouse last spring and even they tested

Also your not addicted but your not willing to give up getting high for your career? Hmm

AND you want to make more than 50k a year? HA!

That's damn right! I'm gonna do it. That I promise you.

You guys realize that there are normal jobs out there that pay well and do not drug test, right? One off the top of my head is a teacher.

Almost any corporate restaurant manager jobs. Salaried managers at quick serve restaurants i.e. Chipotle/ Tokyo Joe's/ Noodles & Co/ Panera Bread typically make 40-50K. More upscale dining can pay much more. All manner of drug users and alcoholics get these jobs.

I live in new jersey and from working in a restaurant to a school and everything in-between you have to be DT'd

Except pizza delivery guys

But shit man I mean a lot of the time you only have to pass one at beginning of employment, you really couldn't clean up for a few weeks? Or get a detox drink even

Currently there are way too many unemployed non-felons in the job market. the issue isn't whether or not hiring felons is fair, the issues is whether the concept of "felon" requires such a harsh set of common penalties: extreme difficulty in obtaining a job, a car, etc. can't own a gun. can't vote. cant associate with other felons with or without your knowledge. barred forever from french-speaking canada. prohibited from owning a cat.

Like I said before, I have no problem passing a drug test to get a job. In fact, 90% of the time I can pass a drug test without even preparing for one. That's how often I use drugs. I just want to be a free man once I get a job, and not have to worry about some unexpected invasive bullshit.

You should become a doctor or a lawyer and make a shitload of money. Think 120K+/ year.

it really depends what you are good at. Do you have a knack for finance and business? Human services? Physics, math and science? Art and design? Give us something to work with.

I can think of a wide range of jobs.
Math Analyst 70k+
IT Consultant 40-80k
University Professor 50k+
Architectural/ Engineering Drafter 50k+
Artist 0-500k+