• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

origin of the phrase "tripping balls"?

I thought Neil Patrick Harris coined the phrase in Harold and Kumar where he was in a car and told them he had "been trippin balls" from some X someone had laid on him at a party.

"Tripping balls" had been in use for a very long time before Harold and Kumar was even made.

It sounds like yet-another linguistic-degradation introduced by Surfer-Slang.

It comes from the idea of people being in a room tripping over tons of little bouncy balls. It would give someone a confused and uncoordinated movement similiar to TRIPPIN BALLS!

Thoughts sliding around a bunch of well-lubricated ball bearings is what the phrase makes me think of.

think of all the insane shit that comes out of people's mouths when theyre high. trippin balls isnt that hard to fathom coming out of someone on a drug fueled night.

I always just sort of assumed it was the combination of "tripping" and "balls to the walls" (meaning as much as fucking possible) shortenned do to those moments when you are talking about whats going on and all the sudden you zone out and drop your speech lol

Discussion ends here. I made the term up.

But seriously, it's very hard to find the exact origins of a phrase such as this. It's so vague really, that it's possible it could have been started off by more than one person simultaneously in any English-speaking country... never know.

dunno where it started but it does irritate me no end as does 'tripping face'

its mainly an american thing right? reckon it would sound ridiculous if someone in uk said it.

It sounds like yet-another linguistic-degradation introduced by Surfer-Slang.

What a silly thing to say. Fine if you do not enjoy using the term or indulging in the usage of slang, but to say it degrades language/linguistic's is stupid. I mean, slang and dialects are very important aspects of linguistics. It helps the evolution of language take place, and why shouldn't that happen? Language is hardly static and slang is just an example of words or phrases evolving out from various cultures. Tripping balls to me is a very cultural thing and has a very distinct meaning which imo is unmatched by traditional words. Slang imo is very beautiful and has it's place in language till the end of time.

I use the phrase tripping balls and will continue to do so.

Who the hell says "tripping face"? Can't say I've ever heard of that one.

Your sarcastic, arrogance is hardly flattering (this maybe the wrong word), nor is it of any worth in a intellectual discussion. I find it actually negatively supports your beliefs, but maybe that is being a little to judgmental...

Also I find it funny how people can build emotional responses like jams, to something so benign. Don't like it, don't use it, but to put any sort of label on it is quite silly.

Last edited:
i know some kids that say "tripping dicks" or "tripping that dick". straight dudes. even worse than "tripping balls".

i say "tripping balls" sometimes, even though i know it's cliche. it's expressive, especially to people that aren't as aware as some of you in here that say that the phrase shouldn't be used.

i'm friends with all types, and it helps to speak similarly to the people you're trying to communicate with.

I can tell you 30 years ago we used the phrase "I'm tripping my balls off". Or "I was tripping my balls off at that Dead show". So the shortened phrase came after probably to.. um... just shorten it.

yes that's the sort of thing i was looking for. danke to you and the other guy that said that.

Your sarcastic, arrogance is hardly flattering (this maybe the wrong word), nor is it of any worth in a intellectual discussion. I find it actually negatively supports your beliefs, but maybe that is being a little to judgmental...

Also I find it funny how people can build emotional responses like jams, to something so benign. Don't like it, don't use it, but to put any sort of label on it is quite silly.

Um, actually you're the one being emotional and throwing tantrums. I merely gave a description.

Excuse me? I'm having trouble locating in my posts statements that are me being emotional and throwing a tantrum. Can you be more specific if you are going to make such accusations? I'm especially hard pressed in finding an example of me throwing a tantrum. I would also think it would be hard to throw a tantrum on internet as tantrums normally include some sort of physical out burst. Now, I'm not aware of what type of computer you have. Maybe I'm behind the times since you can some how see what I'm doing even when my webcam is off... :eek:

Now I'm starting to feel silly since I'm bothering to take the time to respond to you.

edit; if me finding something funny constitutes being considered emotional, then yes, I was being emotional, but humor is hardly bad thing.

Any on every blurt out I'M TRIPPIN BALLS to random people. It's pretty fun