• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

diphenhydramine as a downer

StaySedated

Bluelighter
sometimes i take 80-100mg of diph for a depressant effect. it works(though not as good as benzos,etc.). there is few diph side effects like dry mouth and mild restless legs, and it gives me a sedation and intoxicated feeling not unlike alcohol and low ranking barbs.

does anybody else do this when other downerts aren't around?(it also helps for stim comedowns;)

I always pick up a bottle of 100 diphenhydramine tablets and I currently use them as a last resort for insomnia. I also use them for severe nausea.

Normally I use my Xanax prescription to help me sleep.

I don't find diphenhydramine recreational whatsoever, however, I do find them to be very effective for insomnia and/or nausea.

Don't worry.
I use diphenhydramine for the depressant effects, too. It is also great for nausea.

I don't use high doses. Just 50mg. Almost every night. I actually find the sedative effects to be kind of pleasant and clear-headed. This could be due to my daily tramadol interacting with it, too. Who knows. I would never use diph in high doses for the trip, though. Just normal, sedating doses.

And the good thing is, is diph doesn't cause dependency. I used it every night for a month or two last summer and had no problem quitting.

It's not addictive but antihistamines are not addictive in general. You will get a tolerance to the effects after a while though and will need more for the same effect. I read a study showing DPH tolerance happens quite quickly.

remember tolerance only builds to the sedative effects, not the antichollergenic

I use diphenhydramine for sleep on a fairly regular basis. It's absolutely essential for when I am out of weed, benzos, or opiates. The sedation or whatever you want to call it is great for sleep. But there are far too many unpleasant peripheral effects that in my opinion make the drug unenjoyable recreationally. Diphenhydramine is tops for everything that its intended for, but that's about it.

I sometimes use 100mg of diphenhydramine to sleep when I am out of my lunesta and trazodone.....it is actually very effective, maybe more so than my lunesta.

I have tried it as a sleep aid once when I was trying to take a break from xanax, but it actually made the anxiety/sleeplessness alot worse than before I took it, which lead back to the xanax, and the sedative effects of both must have mixed because I woke up 6 hours later at the kitchen table leaning over a bowl of cereal.

If I take any non-benzo 'downer', I just feel like crap the next morning, even after a full 8 hours sleep. I have tried all of that stuff, OTC sleep aids, anti-histamines, nyquil, RX ambien and lunesta...ect.
Nothing works for me like a benzo does, and no matter how much I take I can jump out of bed the next morning feeling relatively normal.

If I take any non-benzo 'downer', I just feel like crap the next morning, even after a full 8 hours sleep. I have tried all of that stuff, OTC sleep aids, anti-histamines, nyquil, RX ambien and lunesta...ect.
Nothing works for me like a benzo does, and no matter how much I take I can jump out of bed the next morning feeling relatively normal.

yeah, diph is not as good as a benzo but when theres nothing else around...:\

I never use it as a downer to like, 'chill out' on or anything unless I want to fall asleep, but I do use it for its sedative effects to pass the fuck out when I need to, or if I have nothing better to get me to sleep during a comedown. Definitely not something I would enjoy taking for fun or anything though.

I've been tring my local chemist for a few days to get sominex which is similiar to Diphenhydramine, some say its stronger. Anyway i only want it to mix with my DHC, but my chemist know I'm on other meds so they say they won't sell it to me and if i can't sleep discuss it with my doctor. Fuck sake you'd think i was trying to get heroin from them

yeah it's not on display on the counters you have to ask for it, then they ask you what meds you take and they know i'm on mirtazapine so said that i'd have to discuss my insomnia issues with my doctor

Sominex.. That's doxlamine succinate (sp?) right? I always have found DS to be more effective for sleep than dph. Tho I built a pretty high tolerance to dph I think sum years ago bcuz it doesn't seem to make me tired at all even tho I rarely take it it seems to just make me sleep longer once I do pass out n make me very drowsy upon waking. Both meds make me a zombie when I get up nomatter how long I'm out cold 4.

sometimes i take 80-100mg of diph for a depressant effect. it works(though not as good as benzos,etc.). there is few diph side effects like dry mouth and mild restless legs, and it gives me a sedation and intoxicated feeling not unlike alcohol and low ranking barbs.

does anybody else do this when other downerts aren't around?(it also helps for stim comedowns;)

id much rather have a real downer, diph makes me restless over 100mg

Yea doses of 100mg and over do cause restless muscles in alot of people, that's what makes it hard 2 sleep in the 1st place lol.