• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

quitting weed after heavy use

Psychologically speaking, I found marijuana far more addictive than any other drug I've ever done.

pr0d1gy get out of the thread, you fail to see the real reason for these boards. and if you think quitting weed was easy then it must have been because you were too much of a pussy to keep smoking every day in the first place, probably because you were so busy getting "psyched out"

seriously, just because i havent gone into full blown heroin w/d (or whatever drug problem you are trying to use to pitifully make yourself look tougher), doesnt mean i dont need the same support as you do

Yea i was too much of a pussy... z0mgawd all my money went towards smack so reefer was kinda on the back burner.

You fail to see that I am pointing out that cold cocking weed will not be horribly painful. Quiting weed is hard, for me it was a ritual to have a few bowls a day and breaking that psychological habit was hard. Physically its not a big deal for which you should be =D

so YOU thought it was easy to quit smoking because you used h, but when thats all i associate shit with after 2 years there will definitely be some psychological upheaval...and if all your money was going to smack then you shouldnt be commenting on quitting weed because obviously youve never had to break a big habit with it.

so please, stay the fuck out of cannabis discussion and show off your smack history elsewhere...

The advice about getting some exercise is really good, I think.
Personally, I have tried to get high from exercise, as a way of replacing the weed high and countering the effects.
Exercising a lot helps with appetite, sleep, and mood, which are the main problems I experienced when quitting weed.
It also feels really good.
Doing something to take your mind off of it helps too, I found.
Maybe reading a good, long book?

Finally, focusing on how you are cleaning your body out, and the benefits you will receive is a good strategy, too. I feel more clearheaded and even-tempered when I am not smoking.

Good luck!!

so YOU thought it was easy to quit smoking because you used h, but when thats all i associate shit with after 2 years there will definitely be some psychological upheaval...and if all your money was going to smack then you shouldnt be commenting on quitting weed because obviously youve never had to break a big habit with it.

so please, stay the fuck out of cannabis discussion and show off your smack history elsewhere...

oh sorry, are those cannabis withdrawals already kicking in or are you just always pissy

Everything he's said was on point. Compared to other drugs, pot withdrawals aren't too serious of an issue.

That's not to say you're not having a hell of a time quitting, because I know you probably are. That's just comparing one drugs potential for physical addiction to another.

PhireXZ is pretty much on point, by the way. There might be an inconsistency with the amount of time you experience each of the w/d symptoms and a few other issues like sweating, extremely vivid dreams and/or nightmares when you do get to sleep, and a complete lack of motivation to want to get up and do anything... but he definitely hit the nail on the head with his post.

For the record, I've been through benzo withdrawal and weed withdrawal (if you can even call it that) and quitting weed was a shitload easier than crushing my Xanax habit. Again, that's not shitting on you or calling you a pussy for having a hard time, it's just... how it is. With pot it's more of a self-control issue than anything else.

Two more tips -

The 5-HTP may be good advice, though I never noticed anything other than deep sleep, like with melatonin.

Also, I wouldn't listen to the people who have given you a timeline for your withdrawal.
Every human has a unique physiology, to the level of being biochemically individual, and it is likely that you will react differently than someone else. Getting off of weed was hard on me, and it might be very easy for some. You will have to see what it is like for you.

Psychologically, it was hard. I dreamed of weed for months.
But it is worth it!
Even if you plan to smoke pot for your whole life, it is smart to take time off regularly, to keep your body and mind clean. I think that two days a week, plus 1-2 months a year without smoking is ideal for me, when I am addicted. That keeps my thinking sharp and seems to keep my body healthy.

okay, first off anybody posting about how much harder theyre habit is just get out. bluelight is for help.

if weed was easy for you then you obviously didnt use as much as i did, i can definitely tell you that i am having withdrawal from weed. if im trying to quit the last thing i need is assholes coming in telling me that any troubles im having now are just a sign of weakness. Ive been in moderate xanax withdrawal and the shit sucks horrendously, but even with a drug as light as weed, if you use it as religiously as i did your going to have major problems.

so please, if you dont have a problem with cannabis or cant give insightful help then fuck off

okay, first off anybody posting about how much harder theyre habit is just get out. bluelight is for help.

if weed was easy for you then you obviously didnt use as much as i did, i can definitely tell you that i am having withdrawal from weed. if im trying to quit the last thing i need is assholes coming in telling me that any troubles im having now are just a sign of weakness. Ive been in moderate xanax withdrawal and the shit sucks horrendously, but even with a drug as light as weed, if you use it as religiously as i did your going to have major problems.

so please, if you dont have a problem with cannabis or cant give insightful help then fuck off

You should try reading entire posts before you go off on these asshole rants. I wasn't calling you a pussy or weak at all, but if not having pot is affecting you to the point where you act like this when reading non-biased responses then I think you're doomed to a life of pseudo-addiction.

@ OP, You asked for advice and you are getting it! I wish you no pain and hope your ordeal of stopping "heavy" weed use goes by quickly and painlessly. What has been stated here, whether you like it or not, is that ending weed use is mostly psychological. Weed is one of the easiest drugs to quit temporarily but is one of the hardest to stay of for long periods of time.

Due to the fact that you are being drug tested and you don't seem like you want to go to jail i'd say that your willpower will keep you from toking up no problem, just find something else you can enjoy in place of weed. I took some yoga and excercised and it helped a lot with cravings.

No one is belittling you for not being hooked on hard drugs its not a fucking contest. From what ive read this thread should be making you optimistic because weed IS NOT THAT BAD to quit. If for some reason it is particularly hard for you go see a psych.

PS... No more hate mail spam insulting my dick size please

@ OP, You asked for advice and you are getting it! I wish you no pain and hope your ordeal of stopping "heavy" weed use goes by quickly and painlessly. What has been stated here, whether you like it or not, is that ending weed use is mostly psychological. Weed is one of the easiest drugs to quit temporarily but is one of the hardest to stay of for long periods of time.

Due to the fact that you are being drug tested and you don't seem like you want to go to jail i'd say that your willpower will keep you from toking up no problem, just find something else you can enjoy in place of weed. I took some yoga and excercised and it helped a lot with cravings.

No one is belittling you for not being hooked on hard drugs its not a fucking contest. From what ive read this thread should be making you optimistic because weed IS NOT THAT BAD to quit. If for some reason it is particularly hard for you go see a psych.

PS... No more hate mail spam please

oh so that was your first offering of help when you said "to those who have been through smack and benzo addiction this is kind of insulting lol"????

oh and yeah, it was definitely "heavy" weed use when i was going to interviews, classes, and exams high

This is getting pointless, my first post was sarcasm indicated by the "lol" @ the end. You've been given good advice in this thread; Exercise, 5htp, etc... was there anything else you wanted?

thanks for the advice, sorry i lost my head but that shit was uncalled for, even if just a joke. i cant take 5-HTP because of the risk of serotonin syndrome with zoloft...should i disregard this?

Ditto dude, I shouldn't have belittled any other type of addiction. hehe im just bitter I guess it wasn't that long ago.

May want to avoid 5htp on a SSRI. Maybe see a doc for ambien or short term benzos. If you aren't getting bad physical effects doing shit to get your mind of weed maybe important. I played a shit load of COD4 myself lol. Hope this works out for you

my girlfriend had to quit and she got really sick, for a few days, throwing up and insomnia. I get terrible sweats when i try to quit and have the worst time sleeping and eating. The addiction is real, and i bet its worse for some; just as some people get way fucked up off something that does not phase someone else.

Just to be clear -
there are several posts stating clearly that people have experienced PHYSICAL symptoms from weed withdrawal. It is hardest psychologically, including potential emotional moodswings and temporary depression, but there are several posts listing physical symptoms. Insomnia, lethargy, vomiting, sweating, lack of appetite, and night sweats are physical. I even felt like I had a cold or flu, with achy bones and full-body pain.
Withdrawal symptoms might be fairly intense, or they might be light or nonexistent.

Just remember that it is worth it.
One more thing - eating healthy food seems to help.

Last edited:
Seems to be a lot of threads regarding quitting cannabis. Ill make this short!

Motivation - Really critical that you want to stop smoking because YOU want to stop smoking. This is what usually gets me back smoking.

Work/Study - You have to make sure you get out and about, this makes you more tired and i usually feel better if i haven't spent the day doing nothing.

Break old habits: I find i really cant watch certain tv shows or play some computer games when trying to quit. Certain things are only nice if you are stoned.

Don't hangout with dealers/stoners - at least in the beginning. Makes giving in to temptation more unlikely.

Spend all your cash, for me this was very effective until i started to get credit with my dealer.

Drink beer. Best cure for it, you will even sleep at night! Watch out for the hangover though. This is not a good option if you work, i always think i should quit alcohol instead and continue smoking when i have to work hungover.

/Hood

Ok, so iam a daily smoker myself, unless availability or money is an issue, and most of the time it isnt. Im on my third day of a break, so far i have had alot of trouble sleeping, VERY vivid realistic dreams, that i remember very clearly the next day and still do, hot/cold feeling, very very annoying, sweating, head ache and short temper and ALOT of nervous energy. Its a bitch sometimes, but it will be worth it in the next day or two when i smoke up and get alot more stoned.