• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Filling my Oxycodone RX in FL

macd610

Bluelighter
Hello, All!
I've read some stuff recently about it getting increasingly difficult to get prescribed opiates/opioids in Florida. I'm going to be visiting a family member there from July 30th through August 7'th, and during that time I will need to get my rx filled for #150 30mg Oxycodone IR.

I have a pain management contract with my md, and have to use the same pharmacy for all of my medications. I am sure HE won't have any problem with me getting it filled out of state, especially considering my pharmacy is a giant chain.
My question is- Do you guys think the pharmacies THERE may refuse to fill it? My family member in FL said that a friend recently went through a very hard time getting her pain medicine filled, but that's kind of a "he said, she said" deal. I searched online about FL and Oxycodone, and it didn't look very promising. Apparently some places aren't even allowed to keep any forms of Oxy in stock!

I'm wondering if it's better to ask my MD to allow me to have it filled early to avoid any hassles I may run into in FL? I have a great relationship with him, but naturally, it's possible for him to see a red flag. In the past, I've had to get my fentanyl patches early due to adhesion issues, but that's a bit different.

Basically, do you guys think I should take my chances in Florida, or use up one of the few "free passes", so to speak by requesting an early fill?

Thanks for reading, and for any input you may have. Hope everyone is having a good & relatively pain-free

I would call your pharmacy and ask for a pharmacy number in florida that will fill it. Call them a head of time and be sure they will fill it. Make sure it's the same chain to keep in compliance with your agreement.

Edit: further thought, don't you have to see the dr before you get the prescription? If so fill it before you leave.

Zoe is totally right! I've been to Florida. Roxys in particular but opiates in general were easy as candy on halloween to get. It is not like that anymore. Better you be safe than sorry.

Have a good trip.

Honestly I would ask your doctor to write you another prescription to fill prior to leaving the state. That's just me though being extra cautious, if anything happened and my oxys fell through that would not be good.

I agree with Tricomb. Most pharmacys will not tell you on the phone that they have oxycodone in stock, even if they do.

Even in my area of brooklyn, sooo many pharmacys actually have signs on the front door saying "We do not carry any formula's containing Oxycodone Hcl". I can only imagine how it is in Florida.

That's interesting bro. Hard times call for hard measures.

If ur out o state forget it bro unless u goto mom and pops no way ur getn filled at a chain .. But don't take my word by all means

The in Florida are long gone they are really lockIng down hard

I would call your pharmacy and ask for a pharmacy number in florida that will fill it. Call them a head of time and be sure they will fill it. Make sure it's the same chain to keep in compliance with your agreement.

Edit: further thought, don't you have to see the dr before you get the prescription? If so fill it before you leave.

After reading your replies, I went ahead and made an appt. for the 25'th.
And yes, Zoe, you're absolutely correct- I DO need a written rx for my Oxycodone. My Dr. gave me 2 months worth of prescriptions last time I saw him. The first ones are filled right away. The second ones have notes on them saying "Fill on or after X date", a day or two short of a month from my appt. For example, if I see him on Aug. 8'th, he'd give me a rx with that date on it, and another that can't be filled til September 7'th.
Luckily, I'd Have to see him again anyway. to get more prescriptions... It's just a little earlier than normal. But I'm sure he will understand :)
Thank you all for the feedback!

Last edited:
Problem is dwn here dry wont fill u if ur out of county much less out of state. If ur over 40 try small mom n pop pharmacy but expect to pay out the ass as most don't take insurance. roxies are still everywhere though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem is dwn here dry wont fill u if ur out of county much less out of state. If ur over 40 try small mom n pop pharmacy but expect to pay out the ass as most don't take insurance. roxies are still everywhere though.

Thanks, Chase-
I was hoping to hear from some members who live there. Yeah, I think I've definitely got many good, legitimate reasons for the early fill. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
do all your homework, you are going to encounter some pretty sticky red tape but the good thing is that if you do your homework you will find out whether or not you will have medication while out of state, this may involve speaking with your doctor and or calling pharmicies and getting the necessary signatures or what ever you will prbably have to have your doctor fax the pharmacy in fl you intend to deal with if you want everythnig to go smooth

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

If you use "Walgreens" down here, wouldn't "Walgreens" in Florida be able to see all your info? Or is it just state wide they do can do this?

^I'm pretty sure that scheduled prescriptions can't be filled across state lines. I just really would not chance it, it's a schedule II narcotic. Be on the safe side and call or email your PM doc and have him write you an extra month's worth.

^I'm pretty sure that scheduled prescriptions can't be filled across state lines. I just really would not chance it, it's a schedule II narcotic. Be on the safe side and call or email your PM doc and have him write you an extra month's worth.

My CII scripts I get from NY and fill in NJ, and vica versa...Just FYI. I think it depends on the pharmacy or pharmacists "rules"

If her contract with her pain management doctor is like mine, she can't just fill it at any pharmacy. It's written in my pain contract that I'm not allowed to fill the prescriptions out of state, a violation of that rule would result in my termination from the program.

If her contract with her pain management doctor is like mine, she can't just fill it at any pharmacy. It's written in my pain contract that I'm not allowed to fill the prescriptions out of state, a violation of that rule would result in my termination from the program.

Oh wow,ok. I know I'm allowed to fill out of state, it's not stated in my contact, plus I asked and they said it was fine. Also to only use 1 pharmacy when possible, but if my usual pharm is out I'm allowed to find a diff one for that RX's for that month only.

Good Morning (or afternoon, or evening lol!)

I just wanted to give you all an update on my situation. I saw my MD on the 25'th. He was already printing my script for my oxycodone before I was finished talking! He agreed with me, and said there was no good reason to even chance it.
Although it IS quite a bit early, it wasn't even a problem at my pharmacy. The way it's written is: "Oxycodone HCL, 30 mg/Take 2-2.5 pills every 4 hours as needed for breakthrough pain with Fentanyl patch."

So because he writes them this way, it's a 15 day supply as far as insurance and the pharmacy are concerned. Now I will Be able to enjoy my vacation with my family without the worry of running out, and putting everyone through hell bc of my withdrawaling, lol.

Thanks for all the feedback :)

Always nice to hear when people have nice reasonable doctors. Glad to hear it worked out fine for you and enjoy your vacation.