• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using opiates as an antidepression

For everyone that says i would be fine for a while but when the withdraws kicked in it would be another story: I have gone through withdraws 3 times already after coming off 80mgs of oc everyday and let me tell you, i would rather have the satisfaction of living those days while "under the influence" then to not have taken them at all. I can deal with withdraws and just the fact that i know i feel like shit due to the fact that im withdrawing is ten million times better then just feeling like shit because im depressed. For anyone who has experienced severe depression they would know withdraws is like a cake walk compared to dealing with depression.

Ive been trying to get this point across to people all day long!

I've been diagnosed with "severe" depression, I've cut my wrists and been hospitalized for extended periods and the whole nine. I respectfully disagree with your stance here. My own opinion. Also in my humble opinion, 80mg of oxycodone a day is child's play, wait until you've experienced wd's from a more significant daily dose of opiates. Like say a half a gram of good heroin a day. If you keep going down that road you will eventually see what I'm talking about. Again this is just my opinion I'm not bashing you. All the wd's do is add insult to injury man

Um....not everyone that tries opiates or medicates themselves with opiates for depression ends up doing heroin, in fact I would say its the people that have some addictive personalities that end up shooting heroin, I could be wrong tho.

I would use almost anything to rid myself of the depression I have. Right now I'm just sobbing. I see a psychiatrist and a therapist and I'm on meds. But guess what? I can't find a job and I can't afford weed and I'm lonely even though I've been married 31 years. So at this place in my depression I would take a shot of heroin if someone came over right now with one. I would rail an oxy or some coke or some glass. I would do anything to make the tears stop. Drugs stop emotional pain and I have no drugs because I have no money so I have to hang out with my emotional pain all evening. Thank you, drugs, for the many evenings like this you have spared me.

I would use almost anything to rid myself of the depression I have. Right now I'm just sobbing. I see a psychiatrist and a therapist and I'm on meds. But guess what? I can't find a job and I can't afford weed and I'm lonely even though I've been married 31 years. So at this place in my depression I would take a shot of heroin if someone came over right now with one. I would rail an oxy or some coke or some glass. I would do anything to make the tears stop. Drugs stop emotional pain and I have no drugs because I have no money so I have to hang out with my emotional pain all evening. Thank you, drugs, for the many evenings like this you have spared me.

Um...you can do without the heroin & coke. Stick with the lighter opiates & sorry to hear about the depression in your life. Hopefully you can make a 180 turn & get your life back on track & yes, life without money is uneventful to a point.

By the way, what kind of meds are you on?

I've been diagnosed with "severe" depression, I've cut my wrists and been hospitalized for extended periods and the whole nine. I respectfully disagree with your stance here. My own opinion. Also in my humble opinion, 80mg of oxycodone a day is child's play, wait until you've experienced wd's from a more significant daily dose of opiates. Like say a half a gram of good heroin a day. If you keep going down that road you will eventually see what I'm talking about. Again this is just my opinion I'm not bashing you. All the wd's do is add insult to injury man

The fact of the matter is i would never put myself in the posistion to ever do "good H" because im more than aware as to where that road would leave me. If i had that kind of personality i would have already OD'd on H at this point. Plus, if i were prescribed some sort of opiate to help with my depression i would take it as prescribed so i dont leave myself empty handed with withdraws and my depression to deal with. I feel like you arent giving me any credibility for my own health. Im not trying to shoot myself in the foot, im trying to get past the point of being extremely depressed and get on with my life.

If you dont mind me getting personal, let me put it this way: Instead of slitting your wrists would you not think it to be more conceivable to take a pill rather than going through that whole mess?

xanax, lexapro, clonazepam, temazepam and propranolol. What I would like right now is a fat rail of oxy to nod out on. But no job equals no money equals no oxy. or weed. I spent all day applying for jobs again. I am discouraged to the end of my rope.

xanax, lexapro, clonazepam, temazepam and propranolol. What I would like right now is a fat rail of oxy to nod out on. But no job equals no money equals no oxy. or weed. I spent all day applying for jobs again. I am discouraged to the end of my rope.

I dont think weed is good for depression but I really dont know. I dont like weed, alcohol or benzos myself, I cant stand them.

Obviously your biggest concern at this point is money from what I gather & money problems can cause severe depression. Do you have family or friends willing to help you with money for a while, even if it isnt as much as needed, it should get you by the hard times for now.

I'm with you on the alcohol. I don't like to drink. We just filed bankruptcy. Maybe things will get easier after that goes through. I am looking hard for a job. That would make a big difference. I've called in all the favors I could already. I'm just watching the clock tick.

Insinuating that oxycodone is a "lighter" opiate and thus has less addictive potential than heroin is retarded. There are several subtle differences, but the only important difference is the price.

Last edited:
Sooo much ignorance here...

Antidepressants don't exist to "make you happy," they exist to correct neurochemical deficiencies/imbalances.

Taking an opioid only works as an "antidepressant" in the sense that it hijacks your endorphin system to create pleasure/euphoria. This is NOT a true antidepressant effect, it's essentially just getting high.

OP, I'd suggest continuing to work with psychiatrists and psychologists to find treatment that works for you. Different medications work better for different people, so it can take some time to find the best one for you. I think therapy could really help you as well.

Serotonin is not the sole contributer to happiness.

Happiness is created when the neurotransmitters in the brain have reached specific levels of activity; acting synergystically together

If one NT (IE GABA) is low, you can feel more anxious, poor rest/sleep and unable to wind down.

Insinuating that oxycodone is a "lighter" opiate and thus has less addictive potential than heroin is retarded. There are several subtle differences, but the only important difference is the price.

I should clarify that I have been stating opiates for depression in this thread & should have been stating that hydrocodone should be used for depression. From the successful stories I have read & seen, the people have used hydrocodone for depression.

The only people I know of that do oxy is for pain or to get high.

I feel I have to repeat what I said earlier...

CODEINE! For depression you don't have to take a 'recreational' dose ie to get high!

A moderate dose (about 150mg for someone opiate experienced, less if you havent taken opiates before) can take the edge off a bad day, & like I said before, its kids stuff compared to oxy, hydro, morphine, heroin etc.

Just try not to take it every day...just when you need it. & its a damn sight safer than benzo's too.

I feel I have to repeat what I said earlier...

CODEINE! For depression you don't have to take a 'recreational' dose ie to get high!

A moderate dose (about 150mg for someone opiate experienced, less if you havent taken opiates before) can take the edge off a bad day, & like I said before, its kids stuff compared to oxy, hydro, morphine, heroin etc.

Just try not to take it every day...just when you need it. & its a damn sight safer than benzo's too.

I agree that codeine works great but codeine doesnt agree with everyone that does other opiates & I would never recommend benzos to anyone!

I'll rephrase my last post to fit this current topic here.

Insinuating that hydrocodone is a "lighter" opiate and thus has less addictive potential than heroin or oxy is retarded. There are several subtle differences, but the only important difference is the price. All opiates are potentially addictive and deserve due respect. Arguing that hydrocodone is some mystical opiate that transcends all of the negative effects of other opiates is just wrong, it is just wrong. The effects profile of hydrocodone and oxycodone are very similar man. And for that matter, the effects profiles of all opiates are very similar. Yet, you say that hydrocodone (and codeine now too I guess?) is THE opiate drug to be used for anti-depression. Which I guess is a sound argument, but that is negated by the fact that using any opiate as a long term antidepressant is just a terrible idea. I think this thread has had it's day in court so to speak, and I think it's been found guilty.

Codeine I guess makes a little more sense, that, I will regretfully concede to you animals . But saying that essentially forfeits my entire argument doesn't it

Last edited:
no doc in their right mind xill prescibe opiates as an anti-depression medication... yes it temporarily drives the depression away but you have to be realistic;;; they are powerfll narcotics with a very high abuse potential

I wouldn't give a "depressed" person a bottle full of opiates (they could easily commit suicide with) to alleviate depression.. Leaving the abuse potential out of it..it's a good way to get sued and getting you license yanked and or wind up in prison.

Serotonin is not the sole contributer to happiness.

Happiness is created when the neurotransmitters in the brain have reached specific levels of activity; acting synergystically together

If one NT (IE GABA) is low, you can feel more anxious, poor rest/sleep and unable to wind down.

I don't believe that I said it was, but you are correct--dopamine, norepinephrine, and GABA all play roles as well. This is why combinations of medication can often work well, as more than one neurochemical can be at incorrect levels.

no doc in their right mind xill prescibe opiates as an anti-depression medication... yes it temporarily drives the depression away but you have to be realistic;;; they are powerfll narcotics with a very high abuse potential

We know no doctor would ever prescribe opiates of any kind for depression & yes, opiates are powerful & can be very addictive.

The question to ask all the depressed people is this: would you like to live the next 10 years content with the happy go lucky attitude codeine or hydrocodone brings to your life & hides any depression you have & knowing that you could very well risk you future with serious addiction.

Or would you rather live in misery the next 20 years trying to figure out why you're depressed knowing the doctors have tried every anti-depressant out there. Most would choose happiness with an opiate "if it worked"

My point is that anti-depressants dont work for everyones depression & neither do opiates. I dont think we should play judge & jury with someones depression because if they found something that works, so be it.

We know no doctor would ever prescribe opiates of any kind for depression & yes, opiates are powerful & can be very addictive.

The question to ask all the depressed people is this: would you like to live the next 10 years content with the happy go lucky attitude codeine or hydrocodone brings to your life & hides any depression you have & knowing that you could very well risk you future with serious addiction.

Or would you rather live in misery the next 20 years trying to figure out why you're depressed knowing the doctors have tried every anti-depressant out there. Most would choose happiness with an opiate "if it worked"

My point is that anti-depressants dont work for everyones depression & neither do opiates. I dont think we should play judge & jury with someones depression because if they found something that works, so be it.

That hypothetical choice that you're offering is a lie though, those aren't a persons two options.

That hypothetical choice that you're offering is a lie though, those aren't a persons two options.

They are not 2 options because we as a society are scared to try & help others. We only help thers as we see fit, or should I say what we are educated on whether its the full truth.

The people I was reffering too are people that have exercised all avenues & have no where to go but down & yes I know that if you get addicted to opiates its bad but some people would rather take that option of trying them & see what happens.