• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Map of prominent veins on arms?

Saran Wrap Method is you wrap saran wrap around the part where's you're hoping to find some veins and the heat/insulation will make them pop out , once you found it proceed as usual.

It's handy when you have to find a new vein and can't or don't want to take a hot shower etc.

I went to the bookstore and found a great book on anatomy on sale. It has many great pictures and explanations of the vascular system, and lots of information I might find useful in the future.

Thanks for the saran wrap idea, must try that myself as my veins are near invisible too.

Those machines that make veins visible were exactly what I was on about earlier. If anyone happens to come across the kind of light required for that effect, please PM me or reply to this thread. I think that would be extremely valuable for people with few visible veins. OR...if you spot a cheap one, I might order it and find out for myself the proper spectrum/intensity of light required.

Looks red in those pictures, red light seems to have a wavelength of 620-740 nm and a frequency of 480–400 THz. I imagine what they use is something that can penetrate skin layers and veins, making veins visible due to the concentrations of blood they contain. I'll look into this too, even though the EM spectrum is not one of my strong points.

Anyway, I finished my "guide", but for now nobody will distribute it. The drug laws changed in my country recently, and handing out this kind of information can be considered inciting a drug crime. Trying to sort it out, but might take a while.

Outside of that, I am still interested in these techniques that can be used to make veins more visible. So if you have any nice tricks, keep them coming.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, once again.

good posts guys! thanks for having a map.... maybe someone should upload a vein map to the IV comp mega thread??

i like hitting my medial antebrachial vein. radial vein is also nice and visible for me. i usually rotate between 6-7 different sites. i lke the vein right under my thumb, and my wrist veins pop out too

good posts guys! thanks for having a map.... maybe someone should upload a vein map to the IV comp mega thread??

i like hitting my medial antebrachial vein. radial vein is also nice and visible for me. i usually rotate between 6-7 different sites. i lke the vein right under my thumb, and my wrist veins pop out too

I will upload some very nice vein maps from the anatomy book I bought once I have access to a scanner. Tried taking pics of the pages with phone, but it's just not the same as a scanner. The book doesn't have like one map with all the veins, each arm/leg/hand/neck/etc. is portrayed separately and dissected into several parts. I found that very nice for this purpose. I will forward one of these vein maps here at the thread you mentioned.

Those machines that make veins visible were exactly what I was on about earlier. If anyone happens to come across the kind of light required for that effect, please PM me or reply to this thread. I think that would be extremely valuable for people with few visible veins. OR...if you spot a cheap one, I might order it and find out for myself the proper spectrum/intensity of light required.

Looks red in those pictures, red light seems to have a wavelength of 620-740 nm and a frequency of 480–400 THz. I imagine what they use is something that can penetrate skin layers and veins, making veins visible due to the concentrations of blood they contain. I'll look into this too, even though the EM spectrum is not one of my strong points.

The lamps I have seen in person have a visible green light reflected off the skin and veins show nicely. So the spectrum is quite variable considering the pic I posted shows red light. It needs to be a spectrum that can penetrate the skin and show what is underneath, but not so deep to show bones or deep arteries etc. So on a broad scale, the spectrum is way above x-rays, and somewhere within visible light or that refracted/reflected by the skin. I assume soft x-rays or the likes could be used along with visible light of some specific colour? But still, to me that makes no sense, as x-rays usually need an absorbent material to display the result of refracted/reflected energy passing through and/or absorbed by the subject. In the case of the lamps, it is definitely reflected light of some sort that one sees. Perhaps simply a high intensity green bulb or red bulb will do, within the visible light spectrum. Anyone who knows what spectrum the vein lamps are produced with, chime in!

^Cool you got an anatomy book. Everyone should have a decent edition of one lying around. Can you give the title and author(s) of the one you bought?

Last edited:
The lamps I have seen in person have a visible green light reflected off the skin and veins show nicely. So the spectrum is quite variable considering the pic I posted shows red light. It needs to be a spectrum that can penetrate the skin and show what is underneath, but not so deep to show bones or deep arteries etc. So on a broad scale, the spectrum is way above x-rays, and somewhere within visible light or that refracted/reflected by the skin. I assume soft x-rays or the likes could be used along with visible light of some specific colour? But still, to me that makes no sense, as x-rays usually need an absorbent material to display the result of refracted/reflected energy passing through and/or absorbed by the subject. In the case of the lamps, it is definitely reflected light of some sort that one sees. Perhaps simply a high intensity green bulb or red bulb will do, within the visible light spectrum. Anyone who knows what spectrum the vein lamps are produced with, chime in!

^Cool you got an anatomy book. Everyone should have a decent edition of one lying around. Can you give the title and author(s) of the one you bought?

Sure, I'll send them to you as soon as I get home. Back in the hospital again. Nothing serious as someone asked about earlier, just a broken wrist and doing some tests for upcoming surgery (concerning osteoporosis and general heart condition). I'll be out by tomorrow.

I do remember one anatomy book I have, it's from the 80's and it's called something like "MEDI - ihminen anatomian kuvasto" - from the 80's. It's some of the student material my mother had when studying to be a nurse, but it has very little on what I need. Of course, if any of you need some pictures in particular from an anatomy book, feel free to ask.

But, while I'm posting, here's an interesting link for any IDUs out there: An interactive online map of the body, including circulatory system

Last edited:
are half unit syringes ok? 50 units 1/2 cc's
im thinking they would be
but i always see 1 cc in all the posts..
1 cc is what i typically use
but this was all i could get my hands on

sorry guys im getting used to this search engine
found the answer
tried to delete prev post but didnt work
someone told me half units wont work
in my head i knew that wasnt logical but just wanted to ask
i will not be asking them anymore questions ;)