• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

wellbutrin and cocaine

the reftangle

Bluelighter
since they are both dopamine-related, would i be able to feel the same when doing coke if i was taking 300mg wellbutrin for over 6months?

would there be a diminished, weakened high, no high at all, or no changes?
or maybe even hightened because theres more dopamine available (or something..?)

Based on personal experience, I would say diminished. I was on Wellbutrin 150mg x 2 a day for a little over a year, and the times that I did coke were decidedly lackluster. It was relatively uncut cocaine, as well.

But then again, I've never been a huge fan of cocaine to begin with. I haven't tried it since I stopped taking the Wellbutrin.

As far as the actual neurological reasoning behind this phenomenon goes, I'm afraid I don't have much to contribute. :)

^ That reports sounds like exactly what I would have geussed.

Curious, does anyone else out there take bupropion (Wellbutrin) and (d)-amphetamine concomitantly? In theory, bupropion should attenuate the effects of amphetamine, but some people report a potentiation.

I used to take it with Adderall as well... It did seem slightly potentiated, but I say this primarily because the combination produced significantly greater levels of anxiety and overstimulation with much lower doses for me.. It almost seemed to potentiate the side effects, if that makes any sense.

Adderall seems to have many complaints of side effects even without wellbutrin potentiation.

I would be curious to hear of anyones experiences of concurrently taking wellbutrin and methamphetamine.

IU: I took wellbutrin shortly after stopping welbutrin. I am currently taking it again, and it is my first day. I will tell you how it is after I take it for a month or so. Two of my friends who were on welbutrin and did meth seemed to experience VERY VERY euphoric effects, about as intense as ecstasy rolls.

I have also been prescribed Zoloft, but I refuse to take it, as it would cause problems between my ecstasy use, and there seems to be contradicting reports on how it affects meth use.

^^ i would take the SSRI (i am on celexa in addition to the wellbutrin) because i believe serotonin plays a bigger role in dealing with depression/anxiety and, well...i dont like ecstacy.

The welbutrin was prescribed to me for the depression. The SSRI was prescribed to me for anxiety.

Xenoc said:
I used to take it with Adderall as well... It did seem slightly potentiated, but I say this primarily because the combination produced significantly greater levels of anxiety and overstimulation with much lower doses for me.. It almost seemed to potentiate the side effects, if that makes any sense.

Bingo. I used to love Dexedrine. Got switched to Cymbalta (SSNRI), and it feels like pure shit now.

Riemann Zeta said:
Curious, does anyone else out there take bupropion (Wellbutrin) and (d)-amphetamine concomitantly? In theory, bupropion should attenuate the effects of amphetamine, but some people report a potentiation.

My girlfriend does this and it works fine with her (I assume you are referring to adderall?)

I think it's because in relaity bupropion doesn't act by DAT inhibition. Bupropion reachs a plasma concentration of around 600nM (150µg/L [1] at 239.75g/mol) and an affinity (Ki) of somewhere between 550-3000nM mean ~1500nM [2]. Seeing as brain peak concentration aren't going to be as high as plasma peak, we can see that the concentration of bupropion doesn't get up around it's dopamine transporter affinity and hence isn't going to have much of an effect their.

This is mirror by studies which show that in humans in vivo occupancy of bupropion probably only reaches 7-22% [3].

For cocaine to have a noticable subjective effect it must block more than 50% occupancy of transporters, and common recreational usage leads to occupacy of closer to 75% [4] and SSRIs probably need to reach around 80% SERT occupancy to be clinically effective [5].

So yeah.

I used to take Buproprion, 600mg a day, from the time I was 12-15... I find I don't get as high as everyone else from cocaine, well rather I do, but it takes alot more for me to feel it nice and good.

This is weird, I have tried MDMA,MDA and Cocaine both on and off of Wellbutrin and I've never felt any difference. I don't know why this is but I've never had any problems with my wellbutrin interacting with anything else.

Reviving an ancient thread.
I RULE at this!

I used to be prescribed Wellbutrin. I found it highly addictive (as in when you take it for a couple years and try to stop you're hit with instant depression, like you've been on speed all your life and suddenly it's over). I believe it was derived from amphetamines after all, and is the only NDRI approved for depression. Most are used for a.d.d., but this one is too weak and does nothing for my attention issues, hence its use as an antidepressant instead (with off-label approval for a.d.d.).
It's good, but it's bad. I don't know what it is, but something tells me not to take that drug every day, so I stopped and continued with Zoloft and Remeron.

Now I have shitloads of WB for no reason. We used to snort it back in the day, as it provided a mild coke-like stoning.
We always thought it would be a good cut (for ourselves, not to sell) to mix with yay.
Combining two dopamine reuptake inhibitors would cause more euphoria, correct?
Seems like the logical train of thought.

I'm not talking about being on it every day, I'm talking about mixing it with a line of coke (as I have now) and take little bumps at a time. So far I'm feeling incredibly alert and am lacking the constant urge to redose [cocaine].

Thoughts? Questions? Comments? I had a very small amount of cc hcl to begin with and this seems to be a nice way to stretch it while I wait for my benzos to work.

This is weird, I have tried MDMA,MDA and Cocaine both on and off of Wellbutrin and I've never felt any difference. I don't know why this is but I've never had any problems with my wellbutrin interacting with anything else.
When I was prescribed bupropion, I didn't notice any diminishment of effects from substances either. Quite the opposite, stimulants, entheogens, THC, all seemed to work better, and carried that extra "oomph" or slight speedy feeling (without anxiety however, which is something I had never experienced until more recent years).

Taking unregulated, illicit drugs is one thing. Taking such an unidentified substance while on a medication for a legitimate mental disorder is quite another.

I used to be prescribed Wellbutrin. I found it highly addictive (as in when you take it for a couple years and try to stop you're hit with instant depression, like you've been on speed all your life and suddenly it's over).

Now I have shitloads of WB for no reason. We used to snort it back in the day, as it provided a mild coke-like stoning.
We always thought it would be a good cut (for ourselves, not to sell) to mix with yay.

I'm not talking about being on it every day, I'm talking about mixing it with a line of coke (as I have now) and take little bumps at a time. So far I'm feeling incredibly alert and am lacking the constant urge to redose [cocaine].

Not to be a dick, but there's a difference between addiction and habituation; withdrawal and discontinuation symptoms. Supposedly only ~30% of people experience any discontinuation symptoms from bupropion. You may be part of that 30%

Snorting it is not a good idea. It has mild effects at best but disproportionately decreases your seizure threshold. Cutting coke with it would be thoroughly irresponsible, as some who use may have (un)known factors predisposing them to seizure. Their seizure and/or death may find its way back to you as well.

When I was prescribed bupropion, I didn't notice any diminishment of effects from substances either. Quite the opposite, stimulants, entheogens, THC, all seemed to work better, and carried that extra "oomph" or slight speedy feeling (without anxiety however, which is something I had never experienced until more recent years).

Everyone is different. This may be the result of therapeutic effect. If you had experienced drugs while depressed and noticed lackluster response, experiencing them after successful treatment with an antidepressant would reasonably increase or energize their effects.