• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Smoking embalming fluid??? Not PCP, embalming fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Mr Blonde said

also, don't quote law enforcement as "sources", they get their information from the same people that think they're smoking embalming fluid in the first place. 8)

Smoking formaldehyde will not get you high. I bet a lot of those articles were actually about PCP or a similar substance, not embalming fluid.

Hopefully if someone does try smoking actual embalming fluid, they use formalin which at least doesn't have volatile solvents in it as it is just an aqueous solution of formaldehyde.

And smoking ibuprofen will not get you high. Maybe the oxygen deprivation will give you a 'buzz', but there is no feasible reason why a COX inhibitor would get you high.

This thread is making my brains explode. :|

I have nothing to gain from lying about getting a buzz from smoking the motrin in prison. I am also not speaking from a third party perspective. I did it and know what happened but will say oxygen deprivation would be a good way to describe the buzz. Head was very foggy, was a little disillusional, etc. Maybe that was it but it was a regular Friday night thing for people so it definitely had an effect.

motrin is not a active narcotic ,taking somthing that is legal that isnt getting u high orally will not get u high just cause u add heat and inhale it ....i think BL needs to have a interview before adding new people

do your research son ,have no idea how people started calling it embalming fluid but its PCP ill say it again ITS FUCKING PCP PCP PCP PCP

im tapping the smack button like a motha:)

do your research son ,have no idea how people started calling it embalming fluid but its PCP ill say it again ITS FUCKING PCP PCP PCP PCP
"Do your research" -- that's exactly what I did, gathered what evidence is readily available, even though it is not always very high quality, direct evidence.
It is reasonable to debate the quality of the evidence, and like I said I don't think it's conclusive one way or another and none of the evidence above is particularly strong. I'm interested in the evidence in either direction, as I've said in my first post, since I'm truly not invested one way or the other whether embalming fluid is a "real drug." I do happen to be invested in logic and the scientific method, just based on my personal background.
If you accept logic as the guide to reason, then I think gleaning what evidence you can is better than simply saying "PCP" four times fast (actually five). How about this: Embalming fluid, embalming fluid, embalming fluid, embalming fluid, embalming fluid,embalming fluid, embalming fluid. There, I said embalming fluid more times than you said PCP. Does that mean I "win"?
If no one is really interested in an evidence-based answer, then I'll exit the discussion, but again, if there is actual evidence (or some logical explanation) against the "smoking formaldehyde" hypothesis, I'm open to it, since I've seen this debate before on bluelight, but never seen any real justification for either position.
A simple google search shows a great deal of evidence that would be relevant, and it's not like you need to have an MD or PhD to find and use it. Not trying to bash anybody, but this is starting to go the same way as all previous embalming fluid threads (and most loperamide threads): substituting opinion for reason.

Minimally, it is clear that people do smoke embalming fluid-dipped cigarettes and marijuana. What remains unclear to me (and researchers) is whether and how often it is smoked alone, as opposed to mixed with PCP. If people believe it works, it seems highly plausible that some people would sell it and consume it alone, even if they are mistaken about the effects.
Here are two reports.

The second suggests that embalming fluid is indeed smoked, but almost excluvely as an additive to PCP.

The first suggests that formaldehyde/embalming fluid has psychoactive effects of its own, but it is very hard to tell for sure, since the researchers are studying people have smoked it outside the laboratory, so they cannot control for the formaldehyde & PCP content of the smoke. (What university Institutional Review Board would approve such a laboratory experiment?):

Marceaux et al. 2008. "Neuropsychological effects of formaldehyde use." Journal of Psychoactive Drugs.Formaldehyde is ... a well known neurotoxin which has recently become popular among substance abusers for its rapid onset euphoria, availability, and low cost; it is known on the street as "wet" or "fry." However, the neuropsychological and cognitive effects of formaldehyde are not well known....
Inhalation of industrial formaldehyde has been shown to cause exposed individuals to have a decrease in performance, lack of concentration, loss of memory, disturbed sleep, impaired balance, variations in mood, and irritability (Wilbur et al. 1999)....

EFFECTS OF INTENTIONAL EXPOSURE
Formaldehyde is a known toxin that has become popular among drug users; in its various forms, it is known on the street as "wet" or "fry." Formaldehyde embalming fluid is legal to purchase and possess and is easily accessible; individuals can obtain it through retail sale and staff of morgues, hospitals, and funeral homes (Klein & Kramer 2004). From these resources, formaldehyde is available to those who want to use or sell it for its euphoric and hallucinogenic effects....
This embalming fluid is often laced with PCP (Elwood 1998; Holland et al. 1998). The term fry will be used in the majority of this article in reference to this specific use of formaldehyde. The symptoms of fry intoxication are nearly identical to those seen following PCP use....
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_6831/is_2_40/ai_n31462573/

The other:
..., increasingly there have been reports of adolescents who use marijuana or tobacco cigarettes dipped in embalming fluid. Unfortunately, most of these reports involve young people coming for drug treatment, many of whom were incoherent. The purpose of this report is to increase the knowledge level of embalming fluid by synthesizing the literature on the subject; reporting on interviews with law enforcement officials, funeral directors, and other community members; and interviewing 20 Houston adolescents who use embalming fluid. The findings that emerge from this investigation are that the embalming fluid compound found on the street contains PCP (phencyclidine) and that adolescents do not know this.
-- "Fry:" A Study of Adolescents' Use of Embalming Fluid with Marijuana and Tobacco. Texas Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse Research Brief. 1998.
www.tcada.state.tx.us/research/populations/fry.pdf
I think the evidence is overwhelming that people DO smoke embalming fluid-laced tobacco & marijuana. What's unclear to me is the degree to which the psychoactive effects can be attributed to PCP alone, or whether embalming fluid adds effects.

I remember reading a post once not on this forum but somewhere else, and the poster who seemed incredibly knowledgeable explained that the embalming fluid would vaporize immediately upon contact with a flame and never reach the smoker's mouth.

I'm not basing this on a huge amount of fact, but maybe it goes in a category similar to inhalants? I've tried to smoke benadryl-laced cigarettes, zopiclone-laced joints, was thinking of trying some prazosin-laced shit. It works, it just sucks.

This has got to be a myth. I mean, embalming fluid must be highly combustible in the same way that, I don't know, rubbing alcohol or something similar is highly combustible. The embalming fluid would evaporate almost the second that it catches the flame, no?

My first smoking experience was with "wet stick" it is actually embalming fluid and it does get you high. The smell of the cigarette is nasty and a chemical taste, I saw them get dipped in a vial, and I'm sure it wasn't pcp because the guy knew was pretty smart and knew what he was doing, plus who sells pcp for cheap...?
Pcp hardly exists anymore, however, embalming fluid is almost everywhere in Texas.
"Got gallons of the wet". - Big Tuck
:D

verso said:
I remember reading a post once not on this forum but somewhere else, and the poster who seemed incredibly knowledgeable explained that the embalming fluid would vaporize immediately upon contact with a flame and never reach the smoker's mouth.

This has got to be a myth. I mean, embalming fluid must be highly combustible in the same way that, I don't know, rubbing alcohol or something similar is highly combustible. The embalming fluid would evaporate almost the second that it catches the flame, no?

Good point. It is a highly volatile substance, with a boiling point of -21C in it's pure form. When it is mixed with water or other solvents (as is the case with formalin), it's boiling point rises to 96C.

So how hot is a cigarette or a lighter?

See this.

It is pretty clear that the formaldehyde is going to burn off. It's decomposition products are CO2 and CO.

Formaldehyde is already present in cigarettes as it is, and the formaldehyde that doesn't decompose is responsible for some of the irritant effects cigarette smoke has on the eyes, nose, throat.

verso, thank you for helping me to think scientifically about this. I am highly dubious about those studies posted on the first page.

Good point. It is a highly volatile substance, with a boiling point of -21C in it's pure form. When it is mixed with water or other solvents (as is the case with formalin), it's boiling point rises to 96C.

how can something boil in a temp below freezing?
or is that just a typo?

^ It's not a typo. 0°C is the freezing point for water. Absolute zero is −273.15°C.

Think about it like this: when the temperature outside reaches below zero, it snows which is water turned into a solid. However, it doesn't start snowing nitrogen or hydrogen, does it?

Look up the boiling points for nitrogen, hydrogen, chlorine... they are all below 0°C.

Hell this sounds like a corrupt dealer's dream come true... convince people that the thing which is usually used to cut pcp is actually doing the job. Then instead of getting pcp cut with a little embalming fluid they get embalming fluid cut with a little pcp. Maybe it's not true but I think it sounds a little shady...

^ It's not a typo. 0°C is the freezing point for water. Absolute zero is −273.15°C.

Think about it like this: when the temperature outside reaches below zero, it snows which is water turned into a solid. However, it doesn't start snowing nitrogen or hydrogen, does it?

Look up the boiling points for nitrogen, hydrogen, chlorine... they are all below 0°C.

oh iight.. yeah, forgot that was for water. my b. i was also confused cuz i go by Fahrenheit so i was converting the temp at the same time as i don't know Celsius temps. All i know is 0 is freezing for w a t e r . lol

^ No problems brother. I don't mind passing on chemistry knowledge where possible. :)

i don't understand why anyone would choose to smoke embalming fluid. if they wanted pcp i can understand that. but knowingly ingesting somethings thats as toxic as embalming fluid. and pay good money for at that....

it seems like it would be much worse for your help than even crystal meth...

motrin is not a active narcotic ,taking somthing that is legal that isnt getting u high orally will not get u high just cause u add heat and inhale it ....i think BL needs to have a interview before adding new people

im tapping the smack button like a motha:)
Weed is legal in some countries and for medicinal purposes.

Weed won't get you high if you eat it but if you add heat and inhale what happens?

I'm done with the motrin thing because it seems to be bringing out the stupidity in some people. Maybe it was vicoprophen, I got no idea. It was 1992 but I smoked the cigarette with what I was told had crushed motrin in it and everyone else did too and did every Friday night which was movie night and they didn't do it because it gave them good skin or made anyone's sentence shorter. They did it because they got hi and I participated once and it got me hi. Ok son?

Let me ask this, has anyone that says "smoking ibuprophen won't get you hi" ever smoked it? Have any scientific evidence that it doesn't? Then how do you know? In hindsight I would of never said it but I did, so anyone that says it can't get you hi elaborate further please or just shut up about it and stick to the topic.

*edit* - http://www.chacha.com/question/can-you-get-high-from-smoking-ibuprofen

I googled it seeing if I can find info but in November someone asked the question and got one reply (one with nothing to back it up as the claims on here), but somehwere someone asked the question maybe because they heard it can or knew someone that did it and told them, whatever. I can say from experience, and my experience was, in jail every Friday a group of people rolled cigarettes with what I was told was motrin and I tried it and it got me hi. I am talking from experience, not out of ignorance or lack of experience. When you have data or experience saying otherwise elaborate. I can sit here and say the sky isn't blue but that doesn't make it so.

Last edited:
^ Heating up ibuprofen and inhaling it doesn't change how it works in the brain, which is inhibiting cyclooxygenase in order to inhibit the production of prostaglandin hormones to reduce inflammation. Nowhere in there is any part of the brain associated with recreational substances involved.

It probably wasn't ibuprofen if it did actually get people high.

^ Heating up ibuprofen and inhaling it doesn't change how it works in the brain, which is inhibiting cyclooxygenase in order to inhibit the production of prostaglandin hormones to reduce inflammation. Nowhere in there is any part of the brain associated with recreational substances involved.

It probably wasn't ibuprofen if it did actually get people high.

Could of been something else. Like I said I was told it was motrin. In the jail I was in the strongest pain killer they would offer was vicoprophen so maybe it was that. I don't know.

Thank you for elaborating instead of just saying "smoking ibuprofen can't get you hi". I expect more from Bluelighters I guess. Like HYDRO_CHRONIC said, maybe people should be interviewed first so people like him that make statements and expect them to be accepted without any logical backing could be weeded out. I know he has been a member for over 9 years and probably thinks that makes him smarter than everyone else but a retard can join a message board and remain an active member for 10 years and it won't make them have higher IQ's.

For the record the topic is Bluelight > Focus Forums > Other Drugs > (misc) Smoking embalming fluid??? Not PCP, embalming fluid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.