• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why do opiates make me itch something awful?

xHippiexchildx

Bluelighter
I'm just wondering. Everytime I take some opiates, they make me itch sooooo bad. And most of my friends who take them don't itch at all even if they take the same dosage as me! This is rather annoying. Is there anything I can do to avoid this feeling? 8(

It is due to histamine release; there is indication for anti-histamines such as diphenhydramine(benadryl). For best results, dose the anti-histamine thirty minutes before dosing the opiate. There will be some potentiation of the opiate's effects, but if you keep the dosage of the anti-histamine low there should be no need to adjust the dosage of opiate.

I enjoy the itch, but yeah as Venrak said it is all histamine related. An anti-histamine will do the trick.

I have noticed I get the itches way more than most people, and I also have really bad allergies. I suspect people who don't have as bad of allergies don't get as itchy as people with severe allergies. Anti-histamines taken prior to using opiates never helped me that much.

The next day I would have scabbed scratch marks everywhere and my face would peel and break out really bad like I was a lizard, and this always happened on opiates.

For some reason, I find that heroin and morphine make me a lot more itchy than other, synthetic opiates. Yu can counter it like other people said with benadryl, or loratadine. Heroin would make me itch so much, that the entire right Side of my face would be swollen to the point where I could hardly see out of my right eye. Bu I do like the itch. To a point.

Yeah, it's an antihistamine, hydroxyzine, diphenhydramine, promethazeine etc...

Yea well, it didn't seem to make any difference. I take 100mg of vistaril everyday and 50mgs of diphenhydramine at night to help me sleep. I was still itching like mad all night. I've always been that way on opiates. I itch so fucking bad, and I sweat really bad for some reason. It pisses me off!

i dont seem to get them as bad as some ppl...but i have pretty sensitive skin and the next day it can be pretty irritated from teh experience so eff that....

i do a couple of things that ive noticed help prevent them for me.. first of all i always make sure to take a shower before i plan to get high if i can, then get some good lotion and apply all over arms and face... if i still find myself itching.. i put some hydrocortisone on the areas that are the worst.. usually my balls haha. nothings worse then waking up the next day witha chaiffed scrotum hahaha. basically, good hygiene goes a long way.

i dont seem to get them as bad as some ppl...but i have pretty sensitive skin and the next day it can be pretty irritated from teh experience so eff that....

i do a couple of things that ive noticed help prevent them for me.. first of all i always make sure to take a shower before i plan to get high if i can, then get some good lotion and apply all over arms and face... if i still find myself itching.. i put some hydrocortisone on the areas that are the worst.. usually my balls haha. nothings worse then waking up the next day witha chaiffed scrotum hahaha. basically, good hygiene goes a long way.

Omg.. my nuts itch like fucking mad!

I would stay the away from Hydroxyzine as it is an analog of the Benzo drug making it a significant CNS depressant. Also, it has a terribly long half life so it will make you feel like complete shit the next day for some time. Also also, it is extremely sedating and will make you very tired especially when combined with opiates. Also also also, it is the inferior antihistamine when compared to most.

I've noticed that I only get teh itchies the 1st night I use. Like i'll usually be on sub 4-14 days before I pick up dope again..and that first shot gets me so itchy. The next day I don't have that side effect no matter hwo much I do. I only get some acute itching right after I shoot a good shot

Codeine might be the worst offender in this case, the second worst being morphine (by a cat's whisker). I personally enjoyed the sensation of my fingers swelling up and parts of my skin feeling really itchy; it's something nice to do when you're in the mindset - just scratch away happily despite the fact that you're clawing at your skin. I've had plenty of blood drawn, though obviously nothing serious.

Wake up the next day and there're long scratches across ones thighs, etc, and it's easily stoppable with anti-histamines as explained. Also, consider Scopolamine, a motion-sickness drug, which is also capable of potentiating the sedative effects of opiates/opioids! It's a highly dangerous toxic substance, however, and so I'd probably stick to safer pills and whatnot. However, even astronauts use Scopolamine, from what I've read, 'cause it's the best at preventing vomiting... whilst passing through the cold vacuum of space, or along a highway. :)

If the allergic reaction is too intense, I wouldn't wait around at home instead of heading to the Emergency Room. Say, you've never tried this before and then suddenly your hands are ballooning with sausage-fingers and your skin's turning red? You may be allergic to that drug or something in it, so get to a hospital ASAP! I know this is common sense, but a lot of people prefer the "wait and see if it gets better" method of remaining healthy, and that can be way too dangerous. :-(

I get "the itch" on just about every opiate I've tried. It goes away with time...well not totally. I didn't itch as much in the later days of my usage but I could use it as a gauge. Basically more itch = better high.

Like others, I've come to enjoy it over the years and you might as well. Some people find it too much to deal with though, and take something to prevent it. Even as someone that enjoyed the itch there were times during my use where it was so intense that I'd scratch myself raw. I did that to my ankle once and it took a good month to heal up.

It depends on the person and their tolerance for sure. Remember, Xmg of your opiate of choice is going to have a different effect for you than it does everyone else. Everyone is different, know your body, know your mind, and take what you need to reach desired effects based on that.

Not to preach to you but: As someone that's used these for years I'll go ahead and advise you not to make it a regular thing. Be very careful with opiates, they have a way of tricking you into using them, and then once they get those claws in you it stops begin fun and with time will take over almost every aspect of your life. Be safe out there!

Last edited:
I get "the itch" on just about every opiate I've tried. It goes away with time...well not totally. I didn't itch as much in the later days of my usage but I could use it as a gauge. Basically more itch = better high.

Like others, I've come to enjoy it over the years and you might as well. Some people find it too much to deal with though, and take something to prevent it. Even as someone that enjoyed the itch there were times during my use where it was so intense that I'd scratch myself raw. I did that to my ankle once and it took a good month to heal up.

It depends on the person and their tolerance for sure. Remember, Xmg of your opiate of choice is going to have a different effect for you than it does everyone else. Everyone is different, know your body, know your mind, and take what you need to reach desired effects based on that.

Not to preach to you but: As someone that's used these for years I'll go ahead and advise you not to make it a regular thing. Be very careful with opiates, they have a way of tricking you into using them, and then once they get those claws in you it stops begin fun and with time will take over almost every aspect of your life. Be safe out there!

Been there done that.. still battling drug addiction now after 6 years. :(

The itches imo are one of the best feelings ever to a certain extent .

If you're ever doing opiates for a longer period i could imagine this feeling would just get annoying eventually and would probably also maybe help assist in the development of some skin problems like a rash or something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised anyway. sometimes back in th good olde days I have woken up the next day with my buddy who was the only person I ever will use opiates with/again covered in red scratch marks all over. Now that can't be good for me now had assume despite the nice relieving feeling from them.

But yes oh shit and on your actual question - What you will need to help stop these is a antihistamine cream or pill like Benadryl also known as diphenhydramine.

Adding this to the nodding combo can knock some people out too and ur wasting ur nod then . It is used as an Otc sleep medication by many even tho it shouldn't be as it wasn't designed for that . And long term use will fuck you and your brains cognitive abilities up.
Not to mention for me and many others it makes pissing hard while ur on it and bungs you up lol.

But yes if u MUST use something use a moisturizer and or an antihistamine

Last edited: