• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax and tobacco?

Fuzati

Bluelighter
Hi guyz

I've alrealdy made a research trough the search engine, but didn't manage to find anything usefull.

Here is my question. I've read somewhere that tobacco make alprazolam (not the other benzos) weaker and shorter lasting).
As a smoker and xanax user(i'm prescribed 2mg/day for my anxiety and panic attacks) i'm concerned about that...

I've tried to go a full day only with my xanax without cigs to see if there is any change, but my anxiety got somewhat worse because of me being inhable to smoke :|

So does anyone now anything about that? If it is indeed theorically true and if it is, is it really obvious in pratic?

Tell me your experiences about that please
Regards
Fuzati

i use benzos and smoke (nothing compared to what i was like a few years ago) and have also heard this on bluelight before. i myself and others have never noticed a difference and i personally would never expect for it to happen.

i'm not sure of any of the science behind the theory (plus im pretty high atm) so all i have is first hand experience and other peoples opinions i've had. myself and Mr Blonde (another mod) had a conversation about this a month or two back iirc but i cant remember what we eventually came to saying about it.

how long have you been smoking and taking benzos together?

Nicotine is a cyp 450 1a2 enzyme inducer, so if alprazolam is metabolised significantly by 1a2 then there may be an effect. But AFAIK 1a2 doesnt metabolise alprazolam, and I really dont know how potent of an inducer nicotine is.

Hi guyz

I've alrealdy made a research trough the search engine, but didn't manage to find anything usefull.

Here is my question. I've read somewhere that tobacco make alprazolam (not the other benzos) weaker and shorter lasting).
As a smoker and xanax user(i'm prescribed 2mg/day for my anxiety and panic attacks) i'm concerned about that...

I've tried to go a full day only with my xanax without cigs to see if there is any change, but my anxiety got somewhat worse because of me being inhable to smoke :|

So does anyone now anything about that? If it is indeed theorically true and if it is, is it really obvious in pratic?

Tell me your experiences about that please
Regards
Fuzati

First of all, smoking more than 10 cigarettes a day increases your likelihood of actually having anxiety in the first place several fold over. Many people have found great reduction in their anxiety by quitting smoking cigarettes all together.

With that being said, yes, smoking cigarettes after you are on alprazolam will decrease its effects substantially. This is no bullshit.

It's also better to save alprazolam for the night time anyways (IMO), so try to get the last cig of the night in before you dose, and you should be fine. Quit smoking too though, it's for your own good (that is, if you care about your own physical health even a little bit). Finally, 2mg alprazolam / day is pretty sweet, if I were you, I'd quit smoking cigarettes to just do alprazolam. That way, your anxiety will be as low as possible (as long as you don't abuse the shit out of the xanax, so you don't have rebound anxiety, and remember to taper before quitting it).

I'm on 0.5mg alprazolam right now, and it's a beautiful feeling. 0.25mg and I can feel it, but it isn't all that great. 1mg and I'm having hypnagogic hallucinations in my sleep (8o:|), I would rarely even consider taking a whole mg of it.

Thanks for you answers people :)

how long have you been smoking and taking benzos together?

Well i'm 22, started to take benzo for my anxiety at 18 (been prescribed several of them over the years (prazepam, oxazepam, bromazepam, lormetazepam, lorazepam and finally alprazolam). I started to smoke cigs about the same time, so that's why I cant' really tell... =/

Nicotine is a cyp 450 1a2 enzyme inducer, so if alprazolam is metabolised significantly by 1a2 then there may be an effect. But AFAIK 1a2 doesnt metabolise alprazolam, and I really dont know how potent of an inducer nicotine is.

Thank you for the insight... So it is indeed true, but we don't know of weaker it makes the alprazolam? If it only a little bit, no bid deal...

Quit smoking too though, it's for your own good (that is, if you care about your own physical health even a little bit). Finally, 2mg alprazolam / day is pretty sweet, if I were you, I'd quit smoking cigarettes to just do alprazolam. That way, your anxiety will be as low as possible (as long as you don't abuse the shit out of the xanax, so you don't have rebound anxiety, and remember to taper before quitting it).

Hi, well I'm trying to stop cigs but I can't manage to do it right know... A couple of month ago I tried for good, I resisted for just a little over a week... I'm buying a E-cig soon and hopefully it will be helpfull (because other nictone substitues have failed).

First of all, smoking more than 10 cigarettes a day increases your likelihood of actually having anxiety in the first place several fold over. Many people have found great reduction in their anxiety by quitting smoking cigarettes all together.

With that being said, yes, smoking cigarettes after you are on alprazolam will decrease its effects substantially. This is no bullshit.

It's also better to save alprazolam for the night time anyways (IMO), so try to get the last cig of the night in before you dose, and you should be fine. Quit smoking too though, it's for your own good (that is, if you care about your own physical health even a little bit). Finally, 2mg alprazolam / day is pretty sweet, if I were you, I'd quit smoking cigarettes to just do alprazolam. That way, your anxiety will be as low as possible (as long as you don't abuse the shit out of the xanax, so you don't have rebound anxiety, and remember to taper before quitting it).

I'm on 0.5mg alprazolam right now, and it's a beautiful feeling. 0.25mg and I can feel it, but it isn't all that great. 1mg and I'm having hypnagogic hallucinations in my sleep (8o:|), I would rarely even consider taking a whole mg of it.

since quitting tobacco my anxiety has gone down significantly, by about tenfold. i find cigs give me panic attacks when i smoke them nowadays as i'm not tolerant and the dopamine rushs feel like i'm gonna die. except when i am on alcohol hence the gaba vz acetlcholine/dopamine
overload (also maoi in tobacco smoke).

still i take 150mg of tramadol each day and it reduces my anxiety and depression and hypomania.

............................................=D=D=D

leftwing said:
myself and Mr Blonde (another mod) had a conversation about this a month or two back iirc but i cant remember what we eventually came to saying about it.

I think the consensus was if it feels good, fuck it, do it. :D

Tobacco smoking may somewhat increase the clearance of xanax and certain other benzodiazepines from your system. I have never noticed a difference so I'm willing to bet in most people it's slight and non-noticeable.

Xanax makes me hiccup when I smoke cigarettes. Any benzo tends to, really, as I've taken valium in the past month.

If I'm smoking pot, I do not hiccup. ONLY tobacco smoke.

So sense smoking cigarettes can increase the metabolism of most benzo's does this mean that the benzo will be eliminated from your system faster? Basically someone who smokes cigs and takes xanax or whatever benzo will have the benzo out of their system faster then someone who doesn't smoke?

So sense smoking cigarettes can increase the metabolism of most benzo's does this mean that the benzo will be eliminated from your system faster? Basically someone who smokes cigs and takes xanax or whatever benzo will have the benzo out of their system faster then someone who doesn't smoke?

I guess so, I mean i know if I take too much alprazolam (xanax) one night and sometimes will wake up the next morning feeling kinda 'groggy', i call it the xanax hangover.. And if I smoke one or two cigs it makes the "xanax hangover" go away and wakes me up a lot.. So there's defiantly something to cigarettes making xanax clear out faster or lessen its effects. But I know a lot of people that smoke cigs while on xanax and they don't seem to notice much of a difference, i never noticed until I researched it and found a few articles saying cigarettes actually reduce alprazolam in the blood by up to 50% (it was in some science of medicine journal, or something)

i've noticed they kinda cancel each other out. Not completely but there is definetly a less pronounced benzo feeling.

I'm not a daily smoker/ only occasionally. Like 1 a month maybe haha

Cigs and benzos don't go together as well as cigs and opiates

tobacco completely ruins my xanax/klonopin experience; i don't know why....

Iv'e heard this many times aswell and was a tad concerened, im smokin upto 20 cigys a day im building up to quit, but im on 6mg a day have one of the most accute cases of panic disorder/ severe anxiety and i find on the ammount im on ciggys actualy help me its nice to have a smoke after ur fulla xanax, maybe on lower doses this is more noticable that it cleans it out, but in my case the 6mg i take daily is the only thing that gets me out the door, And without ciggys im fucked as. Spewin atm ive given up pot for a set term, coz nothing mixes beta with a benzo than weed but for me its for the better atm:|

I actually read a article in some medicine journal saying smoking cigs can decrease the xanax in ones blood by up to 50%... And i know when i have a xanax hangover from the night before and smoke a cig in the morning it takes the "xanax hagover" away a lot faster and wakes me up out of the zanny grogginess u can sometimes get the next morning. what u guys think? I can post the journal article where it explains it... it also says smoking while on valium makes it go outta ur system faster and weaker or what not... anyone else read/heard bout this?

Sorry for the bump, i know its old but my news is NEW! :)