• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

origin of the phrase "tripping balls"?

It just sounds like drug culture adding generic slang to tripping. Balls is/has been used as a slang word for as long as I can remember. Adding it to tripping just seems like it would naturally happen from a number of people.

Tripping balls, rolling balls, high as balls, juggling some balls, playin' with my balls, etc. etc.

You can add the word 'balls' to just about any phrase to make it catchier and/or more interesting. :D

I constantly remark that I'm sweating my balls off (though it is partly true) in the summer.

I believe it comes from the latin words Tripnus (To fry) Balsinus (nuts)

I didn't understand it until I started TRIPPING BALLS. Then it made perfect sense :)

i'd say that the expression is not cool enough to care about where it comes from :)

It comes from the idea of people being in a room tripping over tons of little bouncy balls. It would give someone a confused and uncoordinated movement similiar to TRIPPIN BALLS!

I believe it comes from the latin words Tripnus (To fry) Balsinus (nuts)

coffee just shot out of my nose...

and vegan said... i'd say that the expression is not cool enough to care about where it comes from

Now that you mention it, you're right.... ha.

I wonder if it was one of those phrase's someone coined when tripping where it makes absolute sense to the people involved, in how it perfectly described each ones state of mind or situation.

I thought Neil Patrick Harris coined the phrase in Harold and Kumar where he was in a car and told them he had "been trippin balls" from some X someone had laid on him at a party.

I can tell you 30 years ago we used the phrase "I'm tripping my balls off". Or "I was tripping my balls off at that Dead show". So the shortened phrase came after probably to.. um... just shorten it.

I wonder if it was one of those phrase's someone coined when tripping where it makes absolute sense to the people involved, in how it perfectly described each ones state of mind or situation.

Every single person who I've tripped with, especially their first time has at some point during the trip used the phrase. It's one of the best ways to describe your feelings at that moment 8o

It usually goes something like this:

NSFW:
paper-ditb.gif

I'm quite sure the phrase resulted from shortening "tripping my balls off."

Saying "I was tripping my balls off" was used for decades in my circles not only to describe using hallucinogens, but to describe incredulity in all sorts of situations, LONG before the first dufus decided to say "Duh, I'm tripping balls."

Actually I think the "tripping balls" phrase is quite gratingly retarded and makes the speaker sound about 6 years old.