• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Alternative to tramadol

mouthpiece

Greenlighter
Since summer I've been taking tramadol daily. Dose range: 200 - 400 mg. Usually I pop 100 mg after breakfast and 100 mg in the evening. It isn't much, but it gets me through the day.

I'm looking for an alternative to tramadol. You see, tramadol has two types of effect: sedating (because it's an opioid) and kind of stimulating (wiki: affects reuptake at the noradrenergic and serotonergic systems). I'm looking for a drug that has the stimulating properties of tramadol without the sedation. And that I could take every day, prescribed by doctor. How do you think: should go to a psy-doctor and tell this to him? Maybe there's an antidepressant type drugs with the tramadol-like effects? I've researched Bupropion (wellbutrin) - seems that It's closer to tramadol than any other drug. What do you think?

Some background info:

I remember there was a time in my life when I didn't use tramadol. And that time sucked big... time. I was an apathic person, a bit anxious, unemotional. I couldn't enjoy all the simple things in life like love, sex, etc. There was no satisfaction, for example, I didn't feel good after I had completed some papers in university, not to mention my lack of care for good grades. And then came the tramadol and solved all my mental problems.

Theoretically now I'm living a life that many would dream off. At least I dreamt off It when I was a fat kid interested only in video games. Now I'm a 6th semester student in law school, I'm playing in two nice experimental rock bands, have a great girlfriend. Life's good. But it's temporal.

Have you ever tried codeine before? Or any other actual opiates? If you had tried opiates, maybe you could figure out which set of effects is responsible for the medicinal effects?

Yes, from opiate/opioid class I've tried codeine, heroin, morphine. None of them made me feel like tramadol does. It's not the sedating opiate effect that I'm looking for. It's the lightly stimulating, mind-altering effect of tramadol I'm looking for. An effect that let's me concentrate on the stuff I like and generally feel alive. Not numb (as opiates make me feel).

Well, There's Tapentadol, but other than that there's not really much else out there that bares the same similarity to Tramadol that you would require.
Upon looking, I found out about Bromadol (BDPC)
... And boy, does this sounds tasty:
Bromadol is a potent narcotic analgesic with a distinctive chemical structure. Considered 10,000 times the strength of morphine, it was first reported The Upjohn Company in 1979. BDPC is a cyclohexanol derivative bearing some chemical similarity to Tramadol and Venlafaxine....

Due to its structural differences from other opioid drugs it would be difficult to represent as being "substantially similar in chemical structure" to any controlled drugs, although it does retain the high-affinity opioid pharmacophore. Its structural distinctiveness from controlled opioid drugs makes it likely that BDPC would be legal throughout the world.

**Dribbles** I wonder if anyone else is thinking what I am....? ;)

Oh, it sure does look tasty : P ~

But I think you misunderstood me. I'm looking for a drug that has nothing to do with μ-opioid receptor. I only want the noradrenergic and serotonergic properties (no more opiate wd's for me), because I think those are responsible for my mental well-being when I'm on tramadol.

Maybe some kind of stimulant Add drug would be right for you. There's a whole shitload of them and they seem to posses the effects you are looking for.

Maybe an amphetamine like adderall could be prescribed for concentration, but I guess that's not quite what you're looking for either... know what you mean about the tramadol. I've only done it a few times, I am usually into stronger (real opiates) stuff. Really motivated and productive/ alive. I used to get that feeling from a really low dose of methadone before I went and got myself all addicted to opiates....

I'm not too sure what your doc could prescribe you for that tho, more of like your own personal use gets you those effects.

But I think you misunderstood me. I'm looking for a drug that has nothing to do with μ-opioid receptor. I only want the noradrenergic and serotonergic properties (no more opiate wd's for me), because I think those are responsible for my mental well-being when I'm on tramadol.

Oh, sorry. Well other than a Stimulant (as mentioned) there's only Antidepressants.
I'm on Dosulepin, which is an SNRI which may work for you. It may not ofcourse but there are plenty of Antideps to choose from.
Purely for the sake of them having a lot of research under their belt and them working well for me (as well as any Antidep I've tried anyway), I'd suggest Tricyclics.
They are quite sedating though, so maybe look into something like Bupropion:
"It acts as a strong norepinephrine and weak dopamine reuptake inhibitor, as well as α3β4-nicotinic receptor antagonist."

I have also heard about the codeine being a good alternative. But the times I tried it I cant say I really fellt that much, although it depends from person to person I found Kratom to be a better alternative, especially the kind called Krypton, taking a large dose of it at the same time like 2 grams reminds me of tramadol in some ways. Though it did not make me any stimulated!

Hmm, since you got to know "good life", maybe you can sustain this state without tramadol-like substances?
I think you should give it a try. Remember you may not feel the best for some time, as you'll be probably going through some kind of wd, but I think it's worth at least to check.
Or maybe even better, some medical help (talked over with a good doctor), sth like anitdepressants may help? Tramadol has some antidepressing propieties.
If after many tries you'll still find it bad, maybe it's worth to try some "upper opiates"?
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=475166

pzdr ;]

Try cymbalta its a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbalta

Butalbital, aspirin, caffeine, and codeine phosphate- Fioricet
I have found to be an similar mix. The Barbs and codeine provide the down with the caffeine providing the up. However, its not the same. I personally don't react well to it.
But its worth a try.

Butalbital, aspirin, caffeine, and codeine phosphate- Fioricet
I have found to be an similar mix. The Barbs and codeine provide the down with the caffeine providing the up. However, its not the same. I personally don't react well to it.
But its worth a try.

the drooling wreck i become while on any barbiturate more than makes up for any small dose of caffeine they throw into these.

personally if i were to try to emulate the experience of tramadol i'd go for codeine+citalopram or something like that, but since the OP wants just the stimulatory SSR/SNRI effects, i'd say cymbalta hits pretty close to the mark there.

I have the opposite effect. The caffeine effects me so much that I HAVE to throw the codeine in to even feel the down because the barbs don't cut it.

Methadone gives me that similar 'push' of tramadol. It's not exactly the same- tramadol is very unique. It's worth a try if you can find some.

Tramaol v Cymbalta

Try cymbalta its a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbalta

Have you ever been prescribed Cymbalta? I did a few weeks on it, and several months on all the other SSRI/SNRI drugs. All, except venlafaxine made it impossible to experience orgasm

Cymbalta, I found to be absolute shite, and gave fuck all effect when taken at normal, and well in excess of normal doses. I binned it, and was put on to venlafaxine - which is totally shite at higher does -
10 or 15 times the 150mg capsule size. It just made me jittery, anxious and deprived me of sleep for 36hours. Cymbalta made it almost impossible to orgasm, and my mate binned it after a few weeks because of this reason.

On my last hospital admission for gbl coma (ended up in icu for two days in gbl then profopol induced coma, and I took ten 150mg venlaxine and 9 propanalol 40mg tabs, and I got zero effect. The docs wondered why my heart bpm and blood pressure plummeted!

When I was hooked on tramadol, I was taking up to 30 x 50mg per day - it took me from June (when I was prescribed it after surgery for two broken ankles) to January to get to that dose. When I started on it, 200mg would produce a reasonable euphoria, along with boundless energy, and it stayed that way for a few months. I stayed on it for the effect, and also because it killed my appetite, and I lost 4 stone in 6 weeks.

When I withdrew from it cold turkey, because I moved countries, I had almost zero withdrawals - just a bit of anxiety and four days of insomnia. After that, I was good to go. Nothing like withdrawing from dihydrocodeine - which made me very ill for two weeks, then feeling like shite for another two, in a rehab centre. So you need to consider that when changing drugs. I wouldn't recommend the tramadol dose I was on though. IF you are going to take it long term, I'd recommend breaks of at least 4 days every two weeks.

It does however kill anxiety, which has always plagued me, and it was a good anti-depressant as well.

I have some experience of methadone, when I was hospitalised after drinking a bottle of whiskey and a bottle of vodka, when withdrawing from codeine. I was given meth after telling the docs I was addicted to codeine as well as booze, after two days after I saw a psychiatrist. I enjoyed meth, although it made me drowsy as fuck - nothing like the energy codeine gave me as well as the high. But once I was transferred to a detox hospital, the bastards stopped the meth telling me they had detoxed a lot of addicts! Cunts.

Last edited:
Methadone gives me that similar 'push' of tramadol. It's not exactly the same- tramadol is very unique. It's worth a try if you can find some.

Same here. Actually levorphanol is even better in that respect since it acts at mu-opioid and sigma receptors and is an SSRI and SNRI. Complex mechanism of action...plus...

feels good man.

I should have mentioned that I'm looking for a pseudo-legal, legitime alternative for tramadol. And not something stronger and more addictive like methadone. By "pseudo" I mean that it would be possible to acquire these meds from doctors/online pharmacies (these work - my tramadol suppliers).

Btw, daily tramadol users, how do you maintain your health? For example, "4 day breaks in 2 weeks". Vitamins? If I go cold turkey from trams, it's usually a really painfull process. Not physically (excluding the diareah and chronic fatigue) but mentally I feel really fucking shitty.

SnrG, have you tried Wellbutrin? I've read that it increases sensations therefore sex is great on it (http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=40335). Or maybe any other that works as serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor?

^^ Dude the only thing thats gonna be like tramadol is Tramadol. 2nd, tramadol is easy to get prescribed so just keep getting it like you already are.. whats the problem??

oxycontin is an extremely stimulating opiate, makes you very energetic and focussed. but on the downside very addictive and habbit forming.