• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What happened to Quaaludes?

Rio Fantastic

Bluelighter
They were so popular in the 60s and 70s, what happened to them? Why are they unheard of now?

It became illegal and the clandestine chemists who were making it after its scheduling stopped making ludes and started making other shit. The methaqualone analogs are still to be found if you know where to look, but for the most part, methaqualone is dead. I have read there are still some illegally-made pills in portions of Africa, but aside from making it yourself, it's almost impossible to ever stumble across it.

They became illegal. It was capable to produce them in Cladistine labs, as some people did, but the process was much harder than producing other popular illegal drugs like methamphetamine or MDMA. The low profit margin simply wasn't worth it and they slowly died away.

I guess they got taken over by barbs, which in turn got taken over by benzos

They were destroyed by a single DEA agent, who still works for the DEA. He is somewhat of a legend around the agency. He is currently trying to do to Pseudoephedrine what he did to Methaqualone.

Qualuude (brand name for Methaqualone) was a sedative-hypnotic that was very popular as a recreational drug. Similar to how popular Ambien is today. The biggest difference is that Methaqualone is much more likely to cause death from overdose, the therapeutic dose isn't much different from the recreational dose, which isn't much different from the fatal OD dose.

Like PSE, Methaqualone was manufactured in only a handful of factories. By tightening the regulations surrounding importation, and moving Methaqualone to CII then CI status on the Controlled Substances Act, this single agent brokered the end of Qualuudes as a recreational drug in the US.

There was some clandestine Methaqualone lab activity in the '70s/'80s, but eventually counterfeit Qualuudes were just filled with Diazepam, and other downers took over in popularity.

^ Damn, nice info Tchort. What was this DEA agents name?

I believe the 'Mandrax' label brand created in South Africa is a remaining lively Quaalude producer. Do you know anything about that? Maybe it is not Methaqualone? That's just what ive heard over the years and on these boards at times.

The guys name escapes me. I'll look it up later on.

Yep, Mandrax is a brand for Methaqualone, available in Europe, South Africa, various other places. Methaqualone is still used medicinally in Canada if I'm not mistaken.

I guess they got taken over by barbs, which in turn got taken over by benzos

On the contrary, Methaqualone was introduced in 1965 as a safe barbiturate substitute. Pharmaceutical use was stopped in 1984 due to the addictive qualities and severity of withdrawal symptoms. Barbiturates however are just as addictive and produce the same severity of withdrawal symptoms. Benzodiazepines began to replace the potent barbs in the '80s. Few barbiturates are still prescribed these days, Phenobarbital the most common. The Schedule II barbiturates are nearly only reserved for hospital situations. As hypnotics are concerned, now Ambien has basically replaced the benzodiazepines.

My friend used to smoke Mandrax pills in South Africa when he was younger (10-15 years ago)...

he said they'd crush them up and sprinkle it ontop of weed or tobacco and nod right out!

Do you mean methylmethaqualone or methaqualone? Methaqualone is schedule one, but methylmethaqualone is widely available on the "RC circuit." I haven't seen (m)any legit sources for methaqualone, but I guess it isn't impossible.

Maybe it was methylmethaqualone , but I'm pretty sure it wasn't

This was from a source that had all kinds of illegal stuff

Like Ketamine and Rophenol

Your right but buying it off the streets or internet is , and thats pretty much what I meant

The guys name escapes me. I'll look it up later on.

The guys name is Gene Haislip. In the early 80s as assisitant deputy director for the DEA Hairlip initiated a program of attacking the global trade in methaqualone. It was determined that at the time the majority of quaalude pills on the scene in the US were bootlegs pressed in Columbia from real methaqualone powder. Bulk methaqualone was being exported to Colombia by legitimate pharmaceutical concerns that were aparently unaware of its illicit use. The DEA had success, first with a factory in Hungary, and then other countries including West Germany and the PRC. When legitimate sources of methaqualone dried up, the supply of ludes on the streets of America vanished, presumably because the cartels didn't have the capability, technical and otherwise, to make the drug themselves. :(Tried to do this with pseudo but not as successful. The traitor no longer works for the DEA, if I'm not mistaken, but as a private consultant.

The guys name is Gene Haislip. In the early 80s as assisitant deputy director for the DEA Hairlip initiated a program of attacking the global trade in methaqualone. It was determined that at the time the majority of quaalude pills on the scene in the US were bootlegs pressed in Columbia from real methaqualone powder. Bulk methaqualone was being exported to Colombia by legitimate pharmaceutical concerns that were aparently unaware of its illicit use. The DEA had success, first with a factory in Hungary, and then other countries including West Germany and the PRC. When legitimate sources of methaqualone dried up, the supply of ludes on the streets of America vanished, presumably because the cartels didn't have the capability, technical and otherwise, to make the drug themselves. :(Tried to do this with pseudo but not as successful. The traitor no longer works for the DEA, if I'm not mistaken, but as a private consultant.

Thank you. A recent (maybe 8 or 9 months ago?) issue of Rolling Stone magazine had a long article about the fight against Methamphetamine, and had a little write up about him, and his efforts to do to Pseudo what he did to 'Luudes.

Good to hear he has moved on.

Good to hear he has moved on.

Yea my man, ultimately, I think he's still doing work for the narco swine, its just as a private consultant the American People get stuck with a bigger bill.