• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Loud thoughts/hearing voices from Opiates?

Krowsnose

Bluelighter
Does this happen to anyone else?

Whenever I've got a heavy nod going on or am falling asleep on opiates I can feel my brain drifting off into blissful sleep mode and my thoughts start going on their own. I'll hear sentences and phrases in my head that I don't consciously think and they sort of just freely flow into my mind. It's a sensation of someone actually whispering these phrases to me as I sleep. It's kind of creepy but I'm very used to it and usually too nodded out to care. I'll also have pretty vivid semi-conscious dreams or images in my head before I'm asleep all the way. I also often have some pretty crazy dreams when I do fall asleep.

Is this a common trait with opiates? I always see in the movies someone shooting up heroin and having images of running through fields or flying on clouds. It's kind of like that except the images are more random. Thoughts or experiences?

Are you taking any other medication?

Are you diagnosed with any mental conditions?

Wow, i seriourly thought i was freaking out, same happens to me!!! im on methadone, i have crazy ass dreams, almost like the stuff in my dreams happens. and i have heard some phrases, but not in my voice, like someone else is saying it. it started when i was taking bunch of norco 10 mg , then continued through my methadone treatment. mostly weird dreams. can it be the medicine giving us weird dreams??

I've never had anything like that happen to me while I nod.pni.spoololife.nfo Only a blissful nirvana.

Are you taking any other medication?

Are you diagnosed with any mental conditions?

As far as I know I don't have any mental disorders. I'm a bit paranoid sometimes but that's about it.

And yea wildman, it's definitely like other people are saying it. A lot of times it's like a small child is whispering something.

I just woke up from a nod induced sleep and had a particularly graphic and disturbing dream. I won't go into details because no one likes listening to other peoples dreams. :p I didn't hear too many voices this time, I was falling asleep well after the peak.

I have expericenced this when I was prescribed pain meds for knee surgery. I have an anxiety disorder but I am almost certain that it has nothing to do with it. Being a light weight and having never done opiates before, I heard voices and could hear myself think. I never thought that anyone else expericenced what I did. I heard my mother calling my name among other things right when I was about to drift off to sleep. Quite creepy, I honestly could not tell if it was real or in my head.

i have this happen when finally laying down from awake a couple days. like when doing speed/tripping for two days then finally going to sleep.

its like im limbo, not really asleep. and i hear full sentances. i think its actually you beginning to fall asleep, but the sleep is so shallow that the strangeness of the event pulls you back out of the sleep very easily.

ive been thinking of making this thread for a while. thank you.

I have experienced this yes. Either while really high and going to sleep or in a nod.

Yeah, I've experienced this when I was trying to go to sleep after a pretty heavy opiate dose. It's like your not really asleep, but you can hear faint noises/voices. Pretty weird.

Wow, yep! I sure have experienced this, usually when I have taken too many and been awake for too long. It seems to happen just as I am drifitin off to sleep, and it has startled me awake more than once.

The first time I ever took percocet, following a nasty dental procedure, I was lying down to sleep with a World Series game on tv in the background. My team, the Indians were in it; this was 1995. Anyway, I distinctly "heard" Omar Vizquel warn me about the end of the world. I got this bottomless pit of fear in my stomach that haunts me to this day, and I swore off percs for years after that. It may sound humorous now, but it was the blackest, coldest most frightening feeling then.

"Hearing" the "voices" has happened many times since then, but the horrible accompanyin fright has not returned with such a vengeance. Sometimes the words are profound, though. It is obviously my subconscious unloading.

So we can all agree it's relatively common depending on the circumstances.

A constant side effect for me, regardless of the dose I've taken for the most part. Even on suboxone I still experience it.

It's one of the main reasons I like opiates.

I used to get this before I started doing opiates. When I would lay down and start to drift off I would get it, like spoken sentences of random jibberish and all that crap. Usually these voices belonged to friends that I knew.

On opiates it seems I'm too stimulated to actually fall asleep sometimes. Even when taking high enough doses to nod, the only strange effect I get is that free falling sensation where you snap awake immediatly. I get that one sometimes.

It's six in the morning and i've been hearing voices in my half lucid state of sleep. Although I have a perfectly healthy grasp on reality, I've found myself hearing voices while under the influence of opiates and drifting into sleep. I also get opiate induced insomnia, or at least i believe i do.
I hope this thread isn't dead, because I'd like to discuss this a little more with the others who have experienced this. My initial reaction is the assumption that I'm going insane, and so it is comforting to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this.
Here is my theory: Opiates raise your dopamine levels. Dopamine has been linked to sociability within mammals. Ever find yourself doped up and babbling on to an audience who hardly wants to hear you talk anymore because you've been ranting for hours? That's what dopamine does when there is an excess amount of it in your brain. So, I believe that when you decide to go to sleep, you stop talking and create new dialogue inside of your head. The dopamine wants you to communicate with others, and once you've given up on that, your brain begins to create it's own dialogue, hence the voices. Technically, this is basically like being chemically imbalanced the way that a schizophrenic person who hears voices is. But, if this doesn't occur during sobriety, then it is obviously not an actual mental disorder, but rather a reaction to the excess dopamine in your brain. I'm figuring that there's nothing to be alarmed about. I thought I might be going insane, but I'm always fine when I'm sober. But that doesn't mean that a mental disorder cannot be induced. So maybe quiting the dope will be a good way to avoid any further discontent (for those of us who are scared shitless when they hear voices). Personally, I think I'm straight done with pills and heroin. There's no reason to prolong the nastiness of a drug which can turn your life in a steaming pile of shit. It'd be real nice if you guys didn't forget about this threat because it really comforts me to know that I'm not the only one and that I may have other people to assure me that I'm not a fucking wacko. Salute.

Have you also noticed bright flashes of light, followed by the intense feeling that you've just traveled back in time?

anytime I'm half sleep and bout to slip into a dream and snap out of it, I can hear the voices that I would normally hear in my dream. no biggie

Have you also noticed large, swirling columns of black smoke that sounds like a monster?

It all starts with hearing voices in the jungle - err, I mean in your head.