• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How does Ativan compare to Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin?

i used to take ativan and valium before once a week or so, but now i take the xanax bars (2mg) in awhile and i've also taken klonopins. Ativan is suppose to last a bit longer, and doesn't hit you as hard as xanax. Some people say they hallucinate and get visuals from ativan, i've never experienced that at all, and believe it's false. Me personally, i hate klonopins, i love valiums and i love xanax, ativan just falls in between, they are not that amazing, but certainly are better than nothing.

i used to take ativan and valium before once a week or so, but now i take the xanax bars (2mg) in awhile and i've also taken klonopins. Ativan is suppose to last a bit longer, and doesn't hit you as hard as xanax. Some people say they hallucinate and get visuals from ativan, i've never experienced that at all, and believe it's false. Me personally, i hate klonopins, i love valiums and i love xanax, ativan just falls in between, they are not that amazing, but certainly are better than nothing.

why do you hate kpins?

I've never had Ativan orally, just IV'd... it is crazy stuff... hallucinations, amnesia and talking to people that aren't there a lot. It's probably like one of the weirdest feelings because I can put myself where I want to be and everything is how I want... it's like I can make my imagination real. I've never swallowed any though, so I don't know if it's because it's IV'd...
Compared to Valium, Ativan does a lot more for me. I don't really see any results from Valium.

Last edited:
I honestly took 4mg of Ativan and did not feel SHIT...maybe calmness but not euphoric at all like Xanax and not extremely muscle relaxing like klonipin

I took 4mg of Ativan on two separate occasions. And notice i had 0 tolerance. I didn't really feel any different besides when i stood up I'd lose my balance alittle. Nothing really noticeable and i wasnt even tired. Then after like 8 hours i completly forget what happened.

the parts i do remember i never remember feeling good. Maybe i was messed up but didnt notice I was? I dont know but if i was then whats the point of taking it? One of the few things i remember was having my head on a table and someone asking me if i was alright and i said yes.

I once took Ativan about 20 years ago and i was totally outa my nut. I was used to valium and rohypnol and tuinol at the time so I had a reasonable tolerance but I took about two or three Ativan and I was all over the place. I've no idea what strength they were, if I remember correctly they were blue and a sort of diamond or triangle shape. I have'nt heard of them for years, I'm surprised they are still about.
If anyone says they took Ativan and didn't feel anything, I definately would not believe them, unless they were stitched up and really took asperin or something.

I've never had Ativan orally, just IV'd... it is crazy stuff... hallucinations, amnesia and talking to people that aren't there a lot. It's probably like one of the weirdest feelings because I can put myself where I want to be and everything is how I want... it's like I can make my imagination real. I've never swallowed any though, so I don't know if it's because it's IV'd...
Compared to Valium, Ativan does a lot more for me. I don't really see any results from Valium.

Hallucinations, talking to people who aren't there? I was given an IV of 2mg Ativan at rehab and just felt calm, like I wasn't worrying about things & subtly sedated. But mostly relaxed. I was chained up because I was given it to prevent seizures. I was taking 60mg of Penobarbital and 20mg of Diazepam every 4 hours at the time so that may have had something to do with it.

IMO, Ativan ranks way below any of them. But that's b/c IME when I took it, it literally did nothing, no matter the dosage I took.

I guess it really does vary person to person.

Okay, if so then show me one single study that states lorazepam is an inferior anxiolytic to any single one of the three other benzos.

Fact is, lorazepam is a superior anticonvulsant than all three. It's a superior muscle relaxant than Xanax and Klonopin, but not Valium. It's sedative action is stronger than Klonopin's, about equal to Xanax's, and slightly inferior to Valium (International Insomnia Prescribing Guidelines - Klonopin isn't included for a reason). it's anxiolytic properties are as good as all 4 of them. Lorazepam is a superior amnesic than all 4 (in fact, it's on par with midazolam and triazolam on this one).

Just because lorazepam sucks recreationally, that doesn't make it a poor therapeutic agent. Lorazepam is an highly potent benzo with amazing therapeutic value.

I have a study here that says lorazepam is JUST AS EFFECTIVE as alprazolam for panic disorder:

Sixty-seven patients with panic disorder were treated with single-blind placebo for one week before being randomized to 6 weeks of double-blind treatment with either lorazepam or alprazolam. Both drugs showed significant and comparable antipanic efficacy throughout the course of the study. With the exception of sedative effects, both drugs were well-tolerated at a mean daily dose of 7 mg for lorazepam and 3 mg for alprazolam. Lorazepam appeared to be as effective as alprazolam in the acute treatment of panic disorder.

Source

Ativan is very subtle. It is a weaker anxiolytic compared to the other more potent benzodiazepines like clonazepam and alprazolam. It doesn't make for a good hypnotic either. It does have good myorelaxant qualities. If I take enough, in which I need well over 6mg to get anything out of it, I feel relaxed from my head to my toes. I no longer have aches or tension. Better than clonazepam and alprazolam for this reason but I find Diazepam to be the superior benzodiazepine for muscle relaxation.

From a 1-5 scale I'd rate the following (IMO):

Clonazepam

Generalized anxiety - 5
Panic Disorder - 3
Myorelaxant - 4
Anticonvulsant - 5
Hypnotic - 3

Alprazolam

Generalized anxiety - 2
Panic Disorder - 5
Myorelaxant - 3
Anticonvulsant - 2
Hypnotic - 2

Diazepam

Generalized anxiety - 3
Panic Disorder - 2
Myorelaxant - 5
Anticonvulsant - 5
Hypnotic - 3

Lorazepam

Generalized anxiety - 3
Panic Disorder - 2
Myorelaxant - 4
Anticonvulsant - 4
Hypnotic - 2

Lorazepam is as effective as alprazolam for panic disorder. The study above proves it.

People severely underestimate lorazepam because it sucks recreational, you know what? I hate it recreational aswell, but fact is fact. Lorazepam is a powerhouse of a benzo therapeutically. Diazepam and clonazepam are not superior to it as an anticonvulsant, I don't have the time right now, but I will prove it. Just like how you thought alprazolam was a superior benzo to lorazepam for panic disorder and you were wrong, you are wrong about a lot of the other "numbers" which you just put together based on your opinion.

You just came up with those numbers on your own - pulled them out of thin air and put them on a forum board.

it's better than xanax and kpin but tied with valium--scientific fact.

no, the study above suggests it.

Yes, it suggests that lorazepam is as effective as alprazolam for panic disorder based on the study they conducted. That is proof.

Other studies have been conducted, many in fact, that have shown lorazepam to be a superior a anticonvulsant to clonazepam, equally effective, if not better then some, as an anxiolytic. It's amazingly powerful for therapeutic purposes.

Yeah, it's not all that great recreationally, but we aren't talking about that here.

^what this guy and hydroazuanacaine said.

I've used all three of those benzos listed for anti-anxiety purposes and lorazepam is the best, at least for me. Benzos affect everybody very differently.

It's an amazingly powerful benzo, like I said. It possesses powerful anticonvulsant, muscle relaxant, and anxiolytic effects. It's amnesic effects are so powerful, they are on par with midazolam and triazolam. It's got great sedative effects, that's why it is the preferred agent for IV to patients in psychosis. It's a 3-hydroxy benzo - they all are powerful benzos. Oxazepam seems to be an exception.

Before I had my xanax-provoked seizure, I would have said that I preferred xanax to klonopin and klonopin to ativan...

I still believe that xanax may be the most recreational benzo of the three, but now it sort of scares the hell out of me. It was my fault, of course, for abusing my prescription and I know that I could have avoided the whole thing if I had been smarter, but it still scares me.

Now, I would prefer klonopin over ativan and ativan over xanax. Ativan isn't all that bad, but it is very subtle. I am pretty sure that it has some intranasal bioavailability as well for all the snorting fetishists, so that's kind of neat lol. Xanax and klonopin, of course, have virtually no intranasal bioavailability.

Uhh I love this benzo threads...
Weeeell, Kpin is amazing for generalized anxiety, that is, if you have GAD or PTSD. Anxiety all day long.
Valium is mostly better if you have insomnia or want to counter the effects of stimulants or for a hard comedown, and mostly used for epilepsy.
Xanax is best for panic attacks or social phobia: anxiety you have but only in certain specific moments.
Lorazepam has the same indications as xanax, and works better for social phobia and even better for panick attacks, as it has a relatively short half-life.

Before I had my xanax-provoked seizure, I would have said that I preferred xanax to klonopin and klonopin to ativan...

I still believe that xanax may be the most recreational benzo of the three, but now it sort of scares the hell out of me. It was my fault, of course, for abusing my prescription and I know that I could have avoided the whole thing if I had been smarter, but it still scares me.

Now, I would prefer klonopin over ativan and ativan over xanax. Ativan isn't all that bad, but it is very subtle. I am pretty sure that it has some intranasal bioavailability as well for all the snorting fetishists, so that's kind of neat lol. Xanax and klonopin, of course, have virtually no intranasal bioavailability.

It's not "subtle". Lorazepam has poor lipid solubility and high degree of protein binding (85-90% ) mean that lorazepam's volume of distribution is mainly the vascular compartment, causing relatively prolonged peak effects. So even though it is a short-intermediate benzo, it has a prolonged effect and for some (most actually) people, it takes over an hour for it to kick in and it peaks at about 3-4 hours, for some who metabolize drugs slowly, it would peak about 5-6 hours after ingestion.

Last edited:
Lorazepam is as effective as alprazolam for panic disorder. The study above proves it.

People severely underestimate lorazepam because it sucks recreational, you know what? I hate it recreational aswell, but fact is fact. Lorazepam is a powerhouse of a benzo therapeutically. Diazepam and clonazepam are not superior to it as an anticonvulsant, I don't have the time right now, but I will prove it. Just like how you thought alprazolam was a superior benzo to lorazepam for panic disorder and you were wrong, you are wrong about a lot of the other "numbers" which you just put together based on your opinion.

You just came up with those numbers on your own - pulled them out of thin air and put them on a forum board.

What the fuck are you on? Just because some book says different, it doesn't matter because you know what? THOSE ARE MY OPINIONS dufus. I didn't pull those out of hat, I've taken benzos probably longer than you have. I've been on all benzos available in the US, have tons of experience and those are my opinions. I don't give a shit what some dumb links you've read say. Don't be such a dick thinking you know everything 8) Experience is a better indicator then studies.

Lorazepam blows for panic disorder, I suffer it and it would not do shit for me.

What the fuck are you on? Just because some book says different, it doesn't matter because you know what? THOSE ARE MY OPINIONS dufus. I didn't pull those out of hat, I've taken benzos probably longer than you have. I've been on all benzos available in the US, have tons of experience and those are my opinions. I don't give a shit what some dumb links you've read say. Don't be such a dick thinking you know everything 8) Experience is a better indicator then studies.

Lorazepam blows for panic disorder, I suffer it and it would not do shit for me.

Well, clinical and scientific studies prove you wrong. Lorazepam is a superior anticonvulsant than both clonazepam and diazepam, as effective for panic disorder as alprazolam, equal to, if not greater than, clonazepam and diazepam anxiolytic as anxiolytic. Superior muscle relaxant than clonazepam and alprazolam, but about equal to or lesser than diazepam.

You did pull those numbers of of thin air, based on your experiences - yes, that's still thin air and not scientific.

BTW, that's no way to talk to a moderator.

Well, clinical and scientific studies prove you wrong. Lorazepam is a superior anticonvulsant than both clonazepam and diazepam, as effective for panic disorder as alprazolam, equal to, if not greater than, clonazepam and diazepam anxiolytic as anxiolytic. Superior muscle relaxant than clonazepam and alprazolam, but about equal to or lesser than diazepam.

You did pull those numbers of of thin air, based on your experiences - yes, that's still thin air and not scientific.

BTW, that's no way to talk to a moderator.

I don't care, when you act like you think you know everything I will defend myself. Based on experience, is not out of thin air lol, out of thin air is when you just make up something. And didn't I just say I don't care what studies show? And anyway, I dare you to provide links saying that lorazepam is a "better" anticonvulsant than clonazepam and diazepam and that its "better" for panic disorder than alprazolam. I don't think you will come up with anything providing that, I bet the studies just say its good for panic disorder and an effective anticonvulsant, I'm sure that's true but I doubt anything will say its "better". I am positive you have nothing stating that.

I don't care, when you act like you think you know everything I will defend myself. Based on experience, is not out of thin air lol, out of thin air is when you just make up something. And didn't I just say I don't care what studies show? And anyway, I dare you to provide links saying that lorazepam is a "better" anticonvulsant than clonazepam and diazepam and that its "better" for panic disorder than alprazolam. I don't think you will come up with anything providing that, I bet the studies just say its good for panic disorder and an effective anticonvulsant, I'm sure that's true but I doubt anything will say its "better". I am positive you have nothing stating that.

I don't need to prove anything to you, especially after the way you verbally lashed out at a moderator. I know the facts, I have the facts and after you learn how to talk to a moderator, I will share them with you so you know will know the facts aswell.

For now, I am only going to have my superior deal with you.