• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Klonopin vs. Xanax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking 4mg of Xanax???? Ohhhh jeez. Thats considered almost an OD.
Or did you mean 0.4mg?

Xanax is something I will no longer mess around with. I have been on and off benzos for over 20 years. I have crippling anxiety issues that make it impossible to function socially w/o them. I was on xanax for nearly a year along with klonopin. As stated over and over again, xanax is a prn med that is used when an impending panic attack or whatever you are being treated for is likely to happen.

It works fast and the effects wear off fast. It also creates more of a "buzz" than other fast acting benzos I have tried. The main problem with it is that it is very addictive and can create dependency very quickly. Not that clonazepam cannot do the same but I found that k-pin will keep my 'overall' anxiety down during the day and I never feel the need for more as I did with xanax. It is a long acting benzo and docs in the psych. field will often prescribe it along with a fast acting benzo for prn use. I have also found that fast acting benzos are likely to create tolerance much faster than long acting benzos. I have been on k-pin for several years now and have never felt I needed more. That was not the case with xanax. It didn't taKe long before the dose of xanax I was using was not as effective. I remember a guy that had been through treatment referred to xanax as "The Satan of all benzos".

I recall coming off of xanax under medical supervision and as with all benzos the wd's are absolute hell but xanax was particularly evil. What was strange is that I still had a fair bit of Klonopin which I didn't let anyone know about. I thought I could use it if things got really bad and I needed some sleep. When I ran out of it using `1mg/day for a month, the WD issues were no greater than the ones I was already suffering from. The strange thing, if this makes any sense, is that it didn't matter how much of the k-pin I took, I couldn't stave off the WD's of the past 3mg/day of xanax. That is why when I hear 1mg=1mg I do not agree because they are entirely different in their action.

After I had been off of xanax for months, I was prescribed a small amount but enough to get me hooked again, so I thought. I couldn't believe how fast I was hooked. It could have been because I was on it previously but after taking it for a few weeks at 1-3mg/day with occasional days of sobriety, I ran out. I was certain that I wouldn't experience the WD's again. WRONG.

They were not as severe but I would have nerve pain in my feet that was unbearable. It felt like someone was jamming nails into my toes. There was a severe burning feeling in my feet as well. I just threw in the towel at that point and found a doc that put me back on a benzo regimen but this time I was given 2-3mg of k-pin/day with ativan (lorazepam) for breakthrough anxiety. They wanted to give me xanax again but I said "no way".

Xanax is usually the choice of recreational users because it is so fast acting and does produce a more noticeable sense of sedation but I think it is so addictive that it should only be prescribed as a last resort. I see docs handing it out like candy and I cringe.

I don't know if that answers your question but I wanted to weigh in since I have extensive experience with both meds.

Taking 4mg of Xanax???? Ohhhh jeez. Thats considered almost an OD.
Or did you mean 0.4mg?
It's not really in OD territory unless the person has zero Benzo tolerance and they mix it with Alcohol/Opiates. Even then, 4mg Xanax is not a high dose.

It's not really in OD territory unless the person has zero Benzo tolerance and they mix it with Alcohol/Opiates. Even then, 4mg Xanax is not a high dose.

Now I can drink the hell outa some beer om Xanax but let me have 3 beers on a Klonopin and I'm gone for at least 8 hours.

When Im on Xanax, I gain weight, and not by the drug. I used to do hardcore workouts when I was off of them. But whenever Im on them, I loose all my energy and tend to doze off and fall asleep and dont feel like working out which = gaining weight....

Xanax is not recreational whatsoever. I get the same effects like if I was taking antihistamines. It just knocks me out. Period.

Xanax and Klonopin are STILL just as potent as eachother, MG/MG wise. The reason why a lot of people feel Xanax is so much more stronger than Klonopin is because it is fast acting and it kicks in fairly fast and provides quick intense relaxation, due to it's short-acting anxiolytic properties, while Klonopin is slow acting, it lacks that "kick of intense relief like Xanax, however it due to it being long acting it gives you smooth anxiety relief all day, and also, Klonopin is more of a "sedative/hypnotic" benzo unlike Xanax which is more of an anxiolytic, with fast acting properties- so that's why people have this theory Xanax is stronger. it's like apples and oranges, just because 2mg of klonopin don't mess u up like 2mg of Xanax doesn't mean Xanax is stronger, they have different modes of action, and te slow, fast acting properties play a huge role also

short-acting anxiolytic

Last edited:
Klonopin or Xanax

Valium.

But seriously though, of those two I'd have to say the least shitty is Xanax. Go with the Xanax next time - you can take enough Klonopin to be equivalent but it's not going to be the same.

I have not taken K-pins however was prescribed .25mg Xanax and really didn't see a point in taking it, however, I am also prescribed oxycontin and I suppose nothing really is going to top that as far as euphoria and relaxation. I was completely un-affected by the xanax, and told my doctor "No Thank you" when it came time to renew.

even tho they r MG to MG equivalent, u may still feel more off 2mg of Xanax VS 2mf klonopin . one because its fast acting, and it has diff sedating properties, but they are just both as potent

Sorry for bringing up a 2 year old thread, but better than posting a new one.

I has to chime in on here. It might be different for me, because ive been an opiate addict for 7+ years, now im on methadone 80mg daily.

I know methadone and benzos are a VERY dangerous combo, and I don't recommend it to anybody. I have the tolerance to opiates which really helps not OD'ing. I've tried Benzos here and there but never got addicted to them, until now. The past 2-3 months ive been taking Xanax OR K-PIN 3-6mg daily.

Both of them have there ups and downs.

If you're looking for instant relief, Xanax wins.
If you're looking for a long term anxiety med, Klonopin wins.

You know what I mean.

Basically, Xanax is better for panic attacks and, helps more with depression.

But overall, I am now RX'd 1mg klonopin 5 1/2 pills a day (currently tapering) I can say I Like klonopin better, here's why.

1. Half life is 24+ hours for Klonopin, Xanax is 4-6 hours.
2. Klonopin doesn't fuck up my memory like Xanax does.
3. You look less like a zombie on klonopin (literally, when I take too much Xanax I walk and look like a zombie)

Of course like I said both of them have there ups and downs, and meds effect everyone differently. Like what im basically saying is, someone can say the exact opposite answer of mine and still be right. Theres no right or wrong answer to this question, it depends on the person.

If someone walks in doctors room and suffers terrible panic attacks, he's more than likely getting Xanax.

If someone has chronic anxiety, or is looking to taper off all benzos together like I am, klonopin is the way to go.

Last edited:
As for potency i think 1 mg of xanax is like 2.5 mg of kpin. I find xanax way stronger and personally can barely stay up more than 1 and a half to 2 hours on it. Once i made it about 5 hours really fighting the sleep.I can take kpin and stay awake all day though, i think some people find kpin stronger but i would hate to take 4 mg of kpin be pretty good and then think i can take 4 mg of xanax and do the same because id be fucked up off 4 mg xanax and pass out fast.

I think Xanax and klonopin are equipotent, but Xanax comes on harder and lasts for a significantly shorter period of time.

I prefer kpins personally because even at doses of 6-7mg I get great relaxation and hypnotic effects but any dose of alprazolam above 2mg almost always entails a few hours of a benzo blackout.

Just my 2 cents

I prefer kpins personally because even at doses of 6-7mg I get great relaxation and hypnotic effects but any dose of alprazolam above 2mg almost always entails a few hours of a benzo blackout.

Just my 2 cents
How do you take 7mg of clonazepam and not black out lol.

Question, 1st timer to kins tried 1mg and notable. Also how long is it out of ur system to be clean for a UA. Thanks feedback246

Xanax is the devil in disguise. I lost my mind and nearly lost my life when I come off Xanax cold turkey after a 2 week binge of around 20-30mg per day.

Clonazepam never really worked for me. :( Even when I had very little tolerance I could take 40mg and not feel a thing..

Status
Not open for further replies.