• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Least Toxic, Most Effective, Most Concealable Alcohol?

seep

Bluelighter
DISCLAIMER: I'm drunk.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm powerless over my inhibitions and that a higher power exists that can restore me to sanity. That higher power is booze. But I can't drink at work, and drinking at school got me sent home from lab last week (and my idiot lab partner screwed up the recrystallization and we got a meager 18% yield, but that's OT).

And then so then but then there's scattered all over ADD proposals and testimonials concerning Alcohols that are less toxic, more efficacious and less smellable-on-the-breath than ethanol. These are scattered pell-mell on this blog and as far as I know they've not formally been gathered into one thread. I know that Hammilton, F&B and Negrogesic have written about substances such as chlorbutanol, 2-methylbut-3-yn-2-ol and some lavishly-praised cyclic alcohol. These are examples.

And then so then but then I was wondering if we can't settle on an alcohol which can be consumed as chronically as ethanol is consumed but that is easier on the liver and lighter on the olfactorium. A room-temperature solid would be especially fantastic, as one could just stir it into his or her or my beverage of choice.

Thanks.

I don't think any other alcohol than ethanol is drinkable. And many are highly toxic.

The word "alcohol" only designates a function in organic chemistry (the -OH function), ie the family of compounds to which ethanol belongs. Families of organic compounds will contain few members which are drinkable/eatable, and a majority of members which cannot be swallowed or even inhaled without causing harm.

I know that GBL and GHB feel a lot like alcohol for some people.

Gabapentin and Pregabalin are also similar...but a substance that feelx exactly like alcohol..hmm dunno.

I know of a new research benzodiazepine that supposively mimics the effects of alcohol.

The problem with alcohol toxicity isnt majorly the damage dome during intoxication but the damage made by their metabolites.
ethanol is metabolized into acetaldehyde which is further on metabolized into acetic acid.

Ethanol and acetic acid aren't really toxic per se but acetaldehyde is.

I don't think any other alcohol than ethanol is drinkable. And many are highly toxic.

The word "alcohol" only designates a function in organic chemistry (the -OH function), ie the family of compounds to which ethanol belongs. Families of organic compounds will contain few members which are drinkable/eatable, and a majority of members which cannot be swallowed or even inhaled without causing harm.

What do you mean that there are no other alcohols besides ethanol that are drinkable? There are tons. Some are more toxic then others, but ethanol isn't exactly non-toxic.

Sorry seep, Im not much of a drinker so I dont know much on this subject.
GHB/GBL might be a good suggestion since these have a somewhat similar profile to ethanol, and are not terribly toxic. Unfortunately if you are in the US, these are illegal.

If you want to go the legal route, then phenibut, mixed with a smallish amount of ethanol can produce effects pretty similar to higher dose ethanol intoxication.

It depends on what you are looking for though really. If you want to be walking around absolutely smashed, then something like phenibut will not do the trick. If however you are looking for just a minor head change and something to take the edge off, then phenibut plus a bit of ethanol or another alcohol might be perfect.-DG

A few years back someone told me about AWOL which is alcohol with out liquid. It's some kind of device that vaporizes the booze I guess, google it.

A few years back someone told me about AWOL which is alcohol with out liquid. It's some kind of device that vaporizes the booze I guess, google it.

The very happy girl with the pigtails and the small dress must be the inventor.

That thing is cool. I'm getting one! I'll tell people it's for asthma. Thanks North.

Guys, a few things:
  1. I'm restricting my focus to monohydric alcohols without higher-priority functional groups because
  2. AFAIK, none of these are controlled (except ethchlorvynol)
  3. Potable/ingestible alcohols other than ethanol have been discussed here before (I give a few examples in my OP).
  4. As Navarone points out, I'm trying to avoid toxic metabolytes. I'm gonna get drunk repeatedly--the question is with what.

DG, I like the phenibut + low dose ethanol idea.

I know that someone here on Bluelight ordered some 1-propanol (propyl alcohol) from a vendor and said that it took less for him to get drunk than regular ethanol. I could be mistaken--it might be 2-butanol that he ordered. I can't remember.

Captain Obvious moment: when ingesting any new alcohol, it's important to figure out what metabolites the alcohol is converted into by alcohol dehydrogenase. I believe propanol does not create any especially toxic metabolites. Butanol should convert into butyraldehyde, and then, what, butyric acid? You might just fart rancid butter smell for a few days. Is butyraldehyde toxic?

Even 2-propanol (isopropyl, or rubbing alcohol) is not especially toxic, and somewhat more potent than ethanol in causing inebriation. The primary metabolite of isopropyl alcohol, acetone, does not have a high toxicity, but probably contributes to the intoxicating properties and thus the CNS-depressive toxicity of the alcohol itself.

There's also a relatively easy substance to make called chloral (trichloroacetaldehyde) that was famously once used as a common tranquilizer, and probably feels more or less identical to alcohol. From there, it's one step away from chloral hydrate, of course.

Yeah i would opt for a secndary alcohol with low toxicity. i-propanol (which is converted into acetone seems quite toxic) compared to alcohol.

Have a look at a list of GABAa allosteric modulators and see what you can find.

I know that someone here on Bluelight ordered some 1-propanol (propyl alcohol) from a vendor and said that it took less for him to get drunk than regular ethanol. I could be mistaken--it might be 2-butanol that he ordered. I can't remember.

Thanks. I'll check these out.

Captain Obvious moment: when ingesting any new alcohol, it's important to figure out what metabolites the alcohol is converted into by alcohol dehydrogenase. I believe propanol does not create any especially toxic metabolites. Butanol should convert into butyraldehyde, and then, what, butyric acid? You might just fart rancid butter smell for a few days. Is butyraldehyde toxic?

2-butanol's a secondary alcohol, so it'll be oxidized to butanone (assuming it'll undergo oxidation like ethanol). 1-propanol should be just like ethanol: propanal and propionic acid.

Even 2-propanol (isopropyl, or rubbing alcohol) is not especially toxic, and somewhat more potent than ethanol in causing inebriation. The primary metabolite of isopropyl alcohol, acetone, does not have a high toxicity, but probably contributes to the intoxicating properties and thus the CNS-depressive toxicity of the alcohol itself.

To be precise, I'm worried about toxification (and of course toxicity (carcinogenicity, neurodegradation, etc). "CNS-depressive toxicity" (read "intoxication") is kinda the goal, no?

The "tox" morpheme gets tossed around a little loosely. Originally it was a Scythian word for an archer's bow (or the wood it was made from, or the tree (yew) that produced the wood). Hence the greeks would call the poison on their arrows toxikon, a substance which was also known by the name pharmakon, which is the origin of our word "pharmacology". Drug technology has its roots in hunting.

Jesus I'm stoned.

Last edited:
Have a look at a list of GABAa allosteric modulators and see what you can find.

Yeah, are any of these available?

But damnit, you guys keep straying from the monohydric alcohols. Chloral: aldehyde. Chloral hydrate: diol. GABA-A-PAM's: aromatic, polyheterocyclic, etc.

:) Thanks though.

Undecanol is around the same in terms of intoxication.
It is insoluble in water.

2-Methyl-2-butanol, is 20 time stonger than alcohol, plus it has the smell of mint. :)

Undecanol is around the same in terms of intoxication.
It is insoluble in water.

That must smell and taste like slow death.

2-Methyl-2-butanol, is 20 time stonger than alcohol, plus it has the smell of mint. :)

Yes, that's exactly the kind of tree I'm trying to bark up. Let's look into how safe it is. Thanks.

Edit: And so but then how is a tertiary alcohol metabolized? They're far less reactive in the lab.

seep said:
2-butanol's a secondary alcohol, so it'll be oxidized to butanone (assuming it'll undergo oxidation like ethanol). 1-propanol should be just like ethanol: propanal and propionic acid.

Ah, okay, interesting. Not a pharmacologist here; still learning, thanks. :)

seep said:
To be precise, I'm worried about toxification (and of course toxicity (carcinogenicity, neurodegradation, etc). "CNS-depressive toxicity" (read "intoxication") is kinda the goal, no?

I'm not sure if acetone has been proven to be carcinogenic. I don't know about long term health effects, though. I mean, alcohols have negative effects all over in the long term, anyway. I'm sure acetone is in the same ballpark or slightly worse.

It seems like most simple alcohols have relatively benign metabolites, not counting chronic, long term effects, of which ethanol is no stranger to. Methyl alcohol seems to be an anomaly in that regard. I know that someone here mentioned that butanol might have some relatively more toxic metabolite...someone might want to fill in on that.

EDIT: Ah, butanone is a synonym for methyl ethyl ketone. Wiki claims that toxicity only occurs at very high levels; I wonder if it is really that toxic compared to other alcohol metabolites or acetone.

fastandbulbous mentions in another thread 1-ethynylcyclohexanol. Might be worth looking into.

Yeah, I am going to get some 2-Methyl-2-butanol, because based on the info, the is no noticeable to note. Plus long duration is a plus for me.

STR8UP-x4.jpg

Yeah I figured they won't solve everything but at least they are effective and concealable (work, school, etc)