Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Bay Leaves - First time - My conclusion of the subject

Languish

Greenlighter
We've all heard it. Bay leaves supposedly get you high, not insanely high, but just mildly. Like I said, we've all heard, but have we all tried it?

I ran out of weed yesterday and figured I'd give this a shot, I mean why not? So I pack a nice little bowl of the leaves, light up and take a few hits. This is about 15 minutes later I'm writing this, and honestly, I do feel somewhat clouded. Mostly my vision is odd, like looking up and down from the keyboard is really trippy, and it seems like I was just in the sun and came inside (You know, that solarized feeling.) Kind of craving a sandwich too.

So yeah, this was just for experimentation and exploration with something I had sitting in the cabinet. I should clarify, I used freshly store bought bay leaves.

I guess that's it. This is my first post and I hope it wasn't completely useless ;D.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_bayleaves
substancecode_ethnobotanicals
explevel_firsttime
exptype_neutral
roacode_smoked
roacode_inhaled

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it, though I've never heard of it before.

Actually, it seems unusual that more of the strong spices don't have recognized psychedelic effects.

If you aren't poor, next time you go to the grocery store buy a pack of whole vanilla beans ($15 for two) Then when you get home, nibble on the end of one for a bit. This wraps my whole head in a weird feeling instantly, and the complex mix of flavors and smells drugs me the fuck out.

HOWEVER a warning: I believe you can ruin spices for yourself if you use them to get high. I don't know if I'll ever be able to handle nutmeg again. Chai tea, oatmeal raisin cookes, pumpkin pie... I ruined like half of my favorite foods by experimenting with nutmeg.

Ah, I had thought many people heard of this. Maybe not.

Haha, I haven't heard of the vanilla bean. I'll try it.

Luckily for me, I don't like any of the things you listed hahaha. I have been wanting to try nutmeg, but only have old ground up nutmeg in containers (Possibly a year old.) Would that still work for me, if I use the correct dosage of course? And you can sleep on nutmeg, right?

I have three friends who also 'got into' nutmeg in highschool, and we all had real difficulty ever judging a proper dosage. All the powders have different potencies; different nuts from the same container seem vary in strength widely, and it takes hours and hours to kick in sometimes.

I've fallen into troubled, feverish sleep on it, it was like being sick but not as bad as the flu.

Last edited:
Have you ever thought about all the things an abstract term like 'placebo effect' must represent?

Considering the link between thoughts and the physical state of the brain, I think we do ourselves a disservice throwing around the term 'placebo effect' with assurance that we know what we're talking about.

My favourite example illustrating what I mean: Heroin addicts who have a large tolerance can die from a variant of the 'placebo effect' if they take their usual dose in an unusual setting. Check it out!

I believe it, though I've never heard of it before.

Actually, it seems unusual that more of the strong spices don't have recognized psychedelic effects.

If you aren't poor, next time you go to the grocery store buy a pack of whole vanilla beans ($15 for two) Then when you get home, nibble on the end of one for a bit. This wraps my whole head in a weird feeling instantly, and the complex mix of flavors and smells drugs me the fuck out.

HOWEVER a warning: I believe you can ruin spices for yourself if you use them to get high. I don't know if I'll ever be able to handle nutmeg again. Chai tea, oatmeal raisin cookes, pumpkin pie... I ruined like half of my favorite foods by experimenting with nutmeg.

I've got some vanilla bean extract here. Can't find too much info on what effects it has - other than it can increase adrenaline.

The jar says 1 teaspoon = 1 whole vanilla bean. Perhaps I should try just a bit? How much do you eat and what is the onset/expected reaction?

Nutmeg is also ruined for me :) Custard tarts will never be the same.

The beans are long, black, oily things that REEK of vanilla. I didn't even eat any, only chewed on it till all I could taste or smell was vanilla- Which only took like 2 millimeters worth of bean. You can probably imagine what that would be like already.

If I only had the extract I'd probably just smell it for a few long, slow inhales. I wouldn't expect anything too much though-- even if you had the beans-- because who really believes in aromatherapy, right?

One caveat- imitation vanilla contains only one of the probably thousands of esters (flavour chems) in the real deal, so it doesn't work. (imo)

there's only 3 components which create the natural vanilla pod bouquet, and none are esters. vanillin (which can be either natural, or artificial), is by far and large the main one. the other two are also aldehydes.

The point of that was to say the two taste really different.

Have you ever thought about all the things an abstract term like 'placebo effect' must represent?

Considering the link between thoughts and the physical state of the brain, I think we do ourselves a disservice throwing around the term 'placebo effect' with assurance that we know what we're talking about.

My favourite example illustrating what I mean: Heroin addicts who have a large tolerance can die from a variant of the 'placebo effect' if they take their usual dose in an unusual setting. Check it out!

^not sure how this "disproves" the placebo effect. The placebo effect is actually very strongly scientifically documented.

anyway, to the op, ive never heard of bay leavesgetting you high before. ive tried many of the "legal smoke's" and all i ever got off any of that was a sore throat.

The beans are long, black, oily things that REEK of vanilla. I didn't even eat any, only chewed on it till all I could taste or smell was vanilla- Which only took like 2 millimeters worth of bean. You can probably imagine what that would be like already.

If I only had the extract I'd probably just smell it for a few long, slow inhales. I wouldn't expect anything too much though-- even if you had the beans-- because who really believes in aromatherapy, right?

One caveat- imitation vanilla contains only one of the probably thousands of esters (flavour chems) in the real deal, so it doesn't work. (imo)

Wow, just tried that with a vanilla bean and it was disgusting :)

The extract tasted nice, but neither had any sort of effect. Not that I was expecting anything! :p

I wouldn't expect anything with bay leaves either, but if you get a good placebo, more power to you mate.

I actually learned about this in psych.

This is actually an effect of classical coniditioning in which your brain gets used to injecting the drug in a particular environment such that it prepares itself with a compensatory response before you even inject the drug. This is to maintain homeostasis. It is a conditioned, pavlovian response.

Because the user is used to injecting that dose, they think it is fine in a new environment but because this preparatory response is absent in a unrecognized environment the effect is absent. This causes the drug to be more effective than they are used to and can result in accidental overdose.

If you wanna read more about it look at 'drug overdose' on wiki under 'misconceptions'.

This isn't really a variant of the placebo effects. Don't be quick to dismiss the idea of placebo, it is a well documented and common phenomenon.

Last edited:
i used to work with a guy who would drink vanilla extract while he was at work to stay drunk.

The term "smoking bay leaves" is not intended to imply smoking them in an attempt to get high, a buzz, etc.
It's meant to suggest lighting the leaves and allowing them to smolder (smoke). Burning/smoking bay leaves is a part of Ayurveda which is simply "good in, good out". The effect most commonly achieved by smoldering a few bay leaves is similar to a sage smudge. It cleanses the senses, clears the mind and can in some cases give a "buzz" of energy from the clarity achieved.
This is just another substance that through urban myth and bad distortion of the actual effects has been unfortunately confused into the drug culture.
It is not a placebo effect in that it does cause definite and discernable effects to the body and mind it''s more likely that the experimenter is expecting a "high" and is associating the results to that effect.

The term "smoking bay leaves" is not intended to imply smoking them in an attempt to get high, a buzz, etc.
It's meant to suggest lighting the leaves and allowing them to smolder (smoke). Burning/smoking bay leaves is a part of Ayurveda which is simply "good in, good out". The effect most commonly achieved by smoldering a few bay leaves is similar to a sage smudge. It cleanses the senses, clears the mind and can in some cases give a "buzz" of energy from the clarity achieved.
This is just another substance that through urban myth and bad distortion of the actual effects has been unfortunately confused into the drug culture.
It is not a placebo effect in that it does cause definite and discernable effects to the body and mind it''s more likely that the experimenter is expecting a "high" and is associating the results to that effect.

thats fascinating, thanks for your input. i just read a page on bay leaves from an online ayurvedic book and marvelled at the many healing and energetic properties, that i had never heard of from bay leaves. and my parents have had a big bay leaf tree in our backyard all this time.

i'll have to pick some to dry so i can try burning some.

I grind em up real fine sometimes and add a lil to the tip of my j??... gives me a lil extra buzz!? it's weird?‍♀️ how it relaxes ? my body and my mind ?‍♀️ but at the same time it gives me energy ??⛽??and motivates ??‍♀️me to get up and take care of business... lol but ??only if I'm smoking the right strain of weed?, I'm stuck on the green crack ?⚖ right now <everybody else in my house hates it when i smoke it like that cause I'm on top of my s#*t??, constantly goin behind everybody?‍?‍?‍? cleaning an bs?....drives em crazy ? but I'm in my own world happy and content hahaha??> mix em with a strong indica? tho an u gone bee couch?? ?lock like a mutha an den sleep ? like a baby? ????

I smoke bay leave in a pipe as well as in my fire , the chemical linalool is a soother ...however i also suck on the leaves , and crush them up and soak them ,along with whole nut meg and thyme ... I use whole dry bay leaves and whole dry nutmeg, i have had instances where i ate an entire nutmeg , such as , stepping on a rusty nail , or a chipped tooth... the pain relief is unbelievable! it also helps your body regulate multiple systems , as for the high .. when combined with a cbd hemp oil (i typically soak a half of a dried nutmeg in hemp oil untill its soft and them chew it up and swallow it)it relaxes the central nervous system, its beyond stress relief, but the taste is powerful -drinking milk is wicked good with it and cuts the flavor. ... now when it comes to smoking plants you should try dried juniper berrys , and meditation