• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

David Nutt announces research on 'synthetic alcohol'

i'm more interested in the "antidote," especially if tis a reverse gaba agonist. i'm curious to find out if reverse agonists for other NT systems have the same kind of 'reversal' effects as the reverse mu agonist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flumazenil
It has been used as an antidote in the treatment of benzodiazepine overdoses.[1] It reverses the effects of benzodiazepines by competitive inhibition at the benzodiazepine binding site on the GABAA receptor.

And here's what whoremoaning was talking about
Many benzodiazepines (including midazolam) have longer half-lives than flumazenil. Therefore, repeat doses of flumazenil may be required to prevent recurrent symptoms of overdosage once the initial dose of flumazenil wears off. It is hepatically metabolised to inactive compounds which are excreted in the urine. Subjects who are physically dependent on benzodiazepines may suffer benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, including seizure, upon administration of flumazenil.

How common are unintentional benzo OD's? From what I've heard, and from experience, you'd probably pass out before you get to that threshold...

^I'd imagine not all that common, maybe hospital fuckups when injecting. Suicide attempts with them on the other hand... sure that happens quite a bit

It reverses the effects of benzodiazepines by competitive inhibition at the benzodiazepine binding site on the GABAA receptor.

how fucking boring. i was hoping for a real advance in pharmacology.

^ We agree again.

If mr. Nutt is suggesting to us that we can use his neo-alcohol and then take flumazenil before driving and be perfectly happy and safe, well I can only laugh...

Flumazenil is no joke.

This is like saying, "hai look heear. I make a opiate you can use happy, then just take naloxone when u wanna drive sage, I mean safe!"

Maybe i'm being cynical, but I half expect Professor Nutt will be discredited again... (I can see the headlines: Nutty Professor Pushes Pills)

The alcohol industry has far too much to lose - unless, of course, they get behind it. Surely this would be the most logical course for them.

i can't imagine a bar full of people sipping solutions of benzos...

wouldn't even be fun.

^ We agree again.

If mr. Nutt is suggesting to us that we can use his neo-alcohol and then take flumazenil before driving and be perfectly happy and safe, well I can only laugh...

Flumazenil is no joke.

This is like saying, "hai look heear. I make a opiate you can use happy, then just take naloxone when u wanna drive sage, I mean safe!"

I don't think he's suggesting that the Flumazenil will be available to the public to take after their night out. I'd say it's more when people turn up at the hospital, like thousands do all over the UK every weekend, fucked off their nuts on Ethanol close to overdose, that they will be able to administer it to them via a continuous I.V. solution and practically bring them out of their intoxicated stupor instantaneously (like they do with Opiate OD's).

That was the impression I got from the Documentary I watched with him testing it on the presenter (a drug abuse psychologist). It was called "Do I drink too much" if it's not already been mentioned.

I notice that he failed to mention the many proven good effects of some kinds of alcohol, such as the cholesterol-reducing properties of red wine.

I would rather drink good ol' red wine than take some synthetic benzo that has side-effects that we haven't discovered yet.

This seems dumb to me, there are already shitloads of sedatives that are safer than alcohol. What makes this one so special? The "antidote"? I'm sure they have that for a number of already existing sedatives, could be wrong though...

Any current sedative drug will have some sort of stigma attached to it.
If you come up with a "completely new compound", the gov. will think it's been designed for this purpose only. Meaning it's more likely to get funding (which it has) and is more likely to be considered by the drugs council (which is probably unlikely).

I don't think he's suggesting that the Flumazenil will be available to the public to take after their night out.

I would sure hope his idea isn't to have the bartender giving out flumazenil to people so they can drive. Anyone addicted to benzodiazepines receiving a drug to instantly knock all the benzos / related compounds off the receptors, sounds like a recipe for seizures imo.

On the article, while it'll be nifty to see what mr nutt comes up with....i have a hard time believing it'll get anywhere.

I would sure hope his idea isn't to have the bartender giving out flumazenil to people so they can drive. Anyone addicted to benzodiazepines receiving a drug to instantly knock all the benzos / related compounds off the receptors, sounds like a recipe for seizures imo.

On the article, while it'll be nifty to see what mr nutt comes up with....i have a hard time believing it'll get anywhere.

Exactly man. I doubt it would be legal to do so anyway.
And I too have a hard time thinking that it will get much further than these experiments and the latter report (which will be ignored most likely).

I notice that he failed to mention the many proven good effects of some kinds of alcohol, such as the cholesterol-reducing properties of red wine.

that's not the effects of alcohol but of polyphenoles and other compounds contained in grapes. you can have the same cholesterol-reducing properties but drinking grape juice.

I can scarely believe this is serious. Even if this drug is not as toxic as alcohol, there will still be negative effects. The less negative effects there are, the more easy it will be to become addicted. Imagine when an alcoholic finds there is a drug which can give him the high of alcohol but with much less of the negatives? He is just going to use it that much more often. Then when tolerance gets to be too much of a problem, he will switch back to alcohol. Of course there might be some people who stop using alcohol in favor of this but assuming it will totally replace alcohol and be used in the exact same way, is ridiculous in my opinion.