• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Valerian Root - Night terrors

5-HTP converts along to N-Acetylserotonin. Acetyl dictates whether serotonin stays at that current state of existence or further continues the enzymatic alterations that eventually produce melatonin.

I have personally noticed that causing a rapid influx in melatonin levels naturally via L-Tryptophan made me dream alllootttt. (L-tryptophan>5-HTP>N-Acetylsero...>Serotonin/Melatonin>Tryptamine) ---Conversion road simplified....

Now the benefit of supplementing at the beginning of the chain is tryptophan's mechanics on reducing serotonin reuptake. The more control you have on the receptors dictating the rate of serotonin reuptake, the more serotonin your body has to enjoy. However, I would say anything that may cause an influx in serotonin during a specific period of time associated with your circadian rhythm (N-Acetyl is dictated by your internal clock along with other variables) such as 5-HTP may lead to an unnecessary amount of natural melatonin interacting with the brain. Also, from my personal experience causing an influx in natural melatonin vs. supplementation with synthetic melatonin is more potent and effective at inducing sleep while also inducing extremely vivid dreams that may have the possibility of creating abstract nightmares/terrors. This could explain the mechanics of valerian root leading you to your incidences.

^Interesting theory. I've no idea on how these things work, but personal experience is definitely the same. In no way do I get the same vivid dreams when using synthetic melatonin.

^Interesting theory. I've no idea on how these things work, but personal experience is definitely the same. In no way do I get the same vivid dreams when using synthetic melatonin.

I'm glad someone else has also experienced this situation with ingesting exogenous melatonin via supplements vs. increasing the body's natural melatonin production. Helps me validate my original thoughts that struck me a while back.