• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methaqualone

jspun

Bluelighter
I was wondering what the high from methaqualone is like. How would one with experience in such matters compare it to the high from seconal, amytal, nembutal,
and other barbituates, chloral hydrate, placydyl, glutethamide, ect... In otherwards please describe the colors or nuances of the high. I suspect that the pharmacolgy of MQ is unique based on what i have read in old editions of Goodman & Gilman and other sources maybe exerting its action at unique targets. Thanks! I'm new to bluelight by the way.

Last edited:
never done it, unfortunately.
but from what i gather, it's better than most barbs, except pentobarbital and secobarbital.

i think pento and seco might be marginally better, but i'm just going off what i have heard.

General information

Methaqualone was introduced into the pharmaceutical market as non- addictive ‘sleeping pills’ in 1965. It was listed in the US Federal Register of March 1966 as an approved sedative-hypnotic under the trade name Quaalude. The abuse potential of methaqualone soon became apparent, resulting in the drug being listed in the 1971 United Nations (UN) Convention on Psychotropic Substances. It was subsequently banned in most UN member countries. Methaqualone is currently listed in the UN Convention on Psychotropic Substances of 1988.

Methaqualone is the synthetic drug of choice among South African drug users. Methaqualone represents more than 60 per cent of all drugs seized on the street and that are submitted to the National Forensic Science Laboratories (FSL) of the South African Police Service. In 2002, a total of 6 064 methaqualone-related cases involving more than three million dosage units were submitted to the FSL.

Methaqualone was introduced into the South African pharmaceutical market under the trade name Mandrax, a formulation containing methaqualone (250 mg) and diphenhydramine hydrochloride (25 mg). Following the identification of its abuse potential, methaqualone and its isomers were removed from the legal market in 1971. Methaqualone is currently regarded as an Undesirable Dependence-Producing Substance and is listed in Part III of Schedule 2 of the South African Drugs and Drug Trafficking Act, 1992 (Act No 140 of 1992).

The methaqualone seized in South Africa comes from the Middle-East, South and Central Asia, South Africa and other countries in Southern Africa. The product is sold in South Africa as tablet formulations, usually in combination with the antihistamine diphenhydramine and sometimes with diazepam.

Methaqualone is highly addictive. The abuse of this drug gives rise to a barbiturate-type dependence. In South Africa, methaqualone is often mixed with cannabis and smoked as witpyp, that is, white pipe.
The effects of methaqualone
The sought-after effects of this drug are -

* relief of tension, mental stress, and anxiety; and
* relief of the side-effects of over-stimulation or withdrawal symptoms associated with other drugs.

The possible short-term and long-term effects of this drug are similar to the effects of other CNS depressants. The effects include a reduction of mental activity, cardiac and respiratory depression, a growing tolerance to the drug, and psychological and physical dependence on the drug.

Laboratory research has revealed that the majority of the dosage units of this drug on the South African market contain notable quantities of the precursor chemical toluidine. Toluidine is reasonably anticipated to be a carcinogen (that is, a substance that can cause cancer) according to the Ninth Report on Carcinogens

LightTrailz said:
General information

Methaqualone was introduced into the pharmaceutical market as non- addictive ‘sleeping pills’ in 1965. It was listed in the US Federal Register of March 1966 as an approved sedative-hypnotic under the trade name Quaalude. The abuse potential of methaqualone soon became apparent, resulting in the drug being listed in the 1971 United Nations (UN) Convention on Psychotropic Substances. It was subsequently banned in most UN member countries. Methaqualone is currently listed in the UN Convention on Psychotropic Substances of 1988.

Methaqualone is the synthetic drug of choice among South African drug users. Methaqualone represents more than 60 per cent of all drugs seized on the street and that are submitted to the National Forensic Science Laboratories (FSL) of the South African Police Service. In 2002, a total of 6 064 methaqualone-related cases involving more than three million dosage units were submitted to the FSL.

Methaqualone was introduced into the South African pharmaceutical market under the trade name Mandrax, a formulation containing methaqualone (250 mg) and diphenhydramine hydrochloride (25 mg). Following the identification of its abuse potential, methaqualone and its isomers were removed from the legal market in 1971. Methaqualone is currently regarded as an Undesirable Dependence-Producing Substance and is listed in Part III of Schedule 2 of the South African Drugs and Drug Trafficking Act, 1992 (Act No 140 of 1992).

The methaqualone seized in South Africa comes from the Middle-East, South and Central Asia, South Africa and other countries in Southern Africa. The product is sold in South Africa as tablet formulations, usually in combination with the antihistamine diphenhydramine and sometimes with diazepam.

Methaqualone is highly addictive. The abuse of this drug gives rise to a barbiturate-type dependence. In South Africa, methaqualone is often mixed with cannabis and smoked as witpyp, that is, white pipe.
The effects of methaqualone
The sought-after effects of this drug are -

* relief of tension, mental stress, and anxiety; and
* relief of the side-effects of over-stimulation or withdrawal symptoms associated with other drugs.

The possible short-term and long-term effects of this drug are similar to the effects of other CNS depressants. The effects include a reduction of mental activity, cardiac and respiratory depression, a growing tolerance to the drug, and psychological and physical dependence on the drug.

Laboratory research has revealed that the majority of the dosage units of this drug on the South African market contain notable quantities of the precursor chemical toluidine. Toluidine is reasonably anticipated to be a carcinogen (that is, a substance that can cause cancer) according to the Ninth Report on Carcinogens

thanks for quoting wiki, the OP is looking for people experienced with the drug, not just regurgitating information someone could find with a quick google search.

OP: I've tried some lemons before and to be honest they were nothing special. I MUCH prefer secobarbital, I find it to be more "cozy" without the brute force of MQ.

When the drug was popular I remember users reporting a so-called "jellyfish" effect, ie limbs and muscles seemed relaxed to the extreme. I took some in my youth (it was OTC!), in therapeutic doses of course, don't remember anything particular. I think it had become ubiquitous among the American armed forces stationed in Europe and that may be one of the reason why a fierce prohibition came into force.

The French may remember the infamous Mandrax.

Last edited:
My wife got Mandrax when she was living in Tuscon in the 80's or early 90's. They called it "Mex-X" b/c it came from Mexico and apparently some felt the high approximated E- She said he had alot of euphoric energy but didn't feel tired. Her mom was a seious user in 77'. Said they would make you feel really "floaty" like heroin but really mess up your gait. I have tried Seconal and found the high to be energetic like when I am first coming on to the EtOH rush but without the heavyness or mental dullness. Also a feeling of relaxation and warm-calm at the same time. Placydyl was fun and euphoric in a swimmy sort of way. I could relate with the previous post pertaining to Jellyfish limbs that were pervaded by a certain warmth. And when the caps disolved in your stomach you could feel a warm sensation in the pit of your stomach. Would feel effects in 15-20 min and would come on fast.

Last edited:
Isn't it true most (if not all) ludes on the street are now nearly exclusively diazepam (according to DEA Microgram bulletins)? I read a report that there were real ludes on the streets of CA in 1999, from Indian labs.
This is one drug i'd love to try. It must be good if they banned it outright

Yeah they banned it outright due to the fact that they were relatively dangerous but mostly due to the fact that they were outrageously abused.

Methaqualone... something I've always wanted to try! :)

I remember reading somewhere on BL that it's like the best of alcohol and barbiturates; sounds like gold to me. ;)

I've read on Rhodium synthetic routes for synthesizing or cooking MQ. Not to advocate this despicable, deplorable act... but interesting from an intellectual standpoint. One seems very practical utilizing relatively easy to obtain precursors- some from common sources (eg hardware store) hint, hint.

jspun said:
I've read on Rhodium synthetic routes for synthesizing or cooking MQ. Not to advocate this despicable, deplorable act... but interesting from an intellectual standpoint. One seems very practical utilizing relatively easy to obtain precursors- some from common sources (eg hardware store) hint, hint.

without going into synth you have to realise that N-anthrallic acid is banned solely because it is the precursor in making methaqualone. you ain't gonna find that or acetic anhydride at your hardware store 8)

JASS92 said:
thanks for quoting wiki, the OP is looking for people experienced with the drug, not just regurgitating information someone could find with a quick google search.

OP: I've tried some lemons before and to be honest they were nothing special. I MUCH prefer secobarbital, I find it to be more "cozy" without the brute force of MQ.

Its not from wiki , it was done from taking 5 minutes and searching the internet for a answer WHICH SO MANY PEOPLE DONT SEEM TO KNOW HOW TO DO ! so save you comments for other people and not just try to show someone up when they try to help .

***Edited - Mr Blonde***

Last edited by a moderator:
^

I dont think offence was meant. The OP was looking for personal experiences

***Removed quote - Mr Blonde***

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats not what his post said and thus is why i posted that information .. he never asked for first hand accounts of the experience , theres no difference between me posting that .. and saving him some time .. instead of waiting a week for people to post stories of RL experiences.

djsim said:
The OP was looking for personal experiences

Light Trailz said:
Thats not what his post said and thus is why i posted that information

Actually, he did ask for people with experience with methaqualone and with other substances that they might be able to compare it to:

How would one with experience in such matters compare it to the high from seconal, amytal, nembutal,
and other barbituates, chloral hydrate, placydyl, glutethamide, ect... In otherwards please describe the colors or nuances of the high.

While I agree with you Light Trailz, in that it's annoying that you go out and find some info and post it for someone, and people then assume you just copy and pasted from wiki, I'm gonna have to edit your post to remove the abusive content.

JSPUN-you were scripted Seconals? looking thru my old PDRs, thoes 100mg Secobarbitals (Red Bullets) were discontinued in New Zealand in 1991!! along with Tuinals, Amytals:( no mention of Nemmies bbeing here at all. I guess They are still around in the USA?

"I have tried Seconal and found the high to be energetic like when I am first coming on to the EtOH rush"-Oh man too much!!!!

"And when the caps disolved in your stomach you could feel a warm sensation in the pit of your stomach. Would feel effects in 15-20 min and would come on fast."
-MMMMM you liked Secs over Quaaludes? I thought Ludes' were 'the bomb'

Cheers-nice post THANKS

I read from Erowid that combining wine with methaqualone was an activity called 'luding out'. Does anyone know how much the wine brought to the methaqualone high i.e. was combining methaqualone with wine (or alcohol in general?) significantly better than methaqualone by itself? I think it was dangerous, at least. 8)

The only way I'd trust some tablet being methaqualone, would be to find an unopened can of Quaaludes from somewhere (boy that bottle lookes NICE). :D

Survival0200 said:
I read from Erowid that combining wine with methaqualone was an activity called 'luding out'. Does anyone know how much the wine brought to the methaqualone high i.e. was combining methaqualone with wine (or alcohol in general?) significantly better than methaqualone by itself? I think it was dangerous, at least. 8)

I get the idea that it was more winos drinking cheap wine and taking luudes (which, according to Time Magazine, worked out at only 50 cents each when they were banned)
Apparently it was smoked as well. Of course a lot of the people who did this well and truly fucked up their lungs.
LOL, words can't describe how much I want to try this drug! I guess its cos there's relatively 0 chance of ever getting to do so...
^^ OMG a bottle of 500 tabs? I wish Ebay had that kinda shit :))

YER- i read about college kids 'luding out' Quaalualudes+wine in the early 70s, lucky joes, went to the Doc today to get my Valliums, wonder if 'Ludeing out' was more fun than Cider+Valium?

Thoes lucky 70s College kids with their Ludes N Meth N all:(