• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

potentiating tramadol

second650

Bluelighter
what can i use to potentiate tramadol. i tried to search but havent got a specific answer....

Anything that induces CYP2D6 (generally the opposite of what you do for most opiates... because you want it to metabolism to M1, which is stronger)

Also, anything else that is used for other opiates. Maybe not potentiating as in the actual definition of the word, but antihistamines, benzos, etc, will all work.

So the same as any other opiate/opioid except don't use cimeditine.
Search for "CYP2D6" (on google/wikipedia/anywhere) for a list of inhibitors (which you don't want to take with tramadol) and inducers (which you DO want to take with tramadol)

A couple of shots of alcohol help.

But the best thing I have found would have to be Phenibut.

Phenibut really kicks you in the arse when using tramadol.

Just to give you an idea of dose. Tramadol <400mg, Phenibut<2000mg.

I think there is something special going on between tramadol and phenibut that I cannot explain, because it seems to potentiate tramadol far more than both valium and xanax.

It gives me a head high, very much like a large dose of morphine.

Let us know how you go.

Considering both tramadol and alcohol lower the seizure threshold, I wouldn't say that is a safe combination by any means.

i have promethazine and ativan. ill experiment right quick. be right back!! thanx folx!

nabollocks said:
A couple of shots of alcohol help.

But the best thing I have found would have to be Phenibut.

Phenibut really kicks you in the arse when using tramadol.

Just to give you an idea of dose. Tramadol <400mg, Phenibut<2000mg.

I think there is something special going on between tramadol and phenibut that I cannot explain, because it seems to potentiate tramadol far more than both valium and xanax.

It gives me a head high, very much like a large dose of morphine.

Let us know how you go.

Pheni what?

I would really like to see some numbers about tramadol alcohol interaction.

JC I have been on tramadol for about 1 year now, and have never had any trouble drinking. In fact tramadol seems to be quite stimulating when drinking alcohol. I have no problem with the 'lowering seizure threshold' bit of your argument, but I am yet to hear of anyone having a seizure from this combination.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also I talked to my doctor regarding this matter, and she said the reason the 'Avoid Alcohol' notice was printed on the box was because of the potential effects of a narcotic + alcohol. She told me it was fine to have a few drinks.

I agree that alcohol helps potentiate tramadol due to the fact that it induces the CYP2D6 enzyme. Don't drink too much though, because supposedly the combo of alcohol + tramadol puts you at a greater risk for suffering a seizure. I used to enjoy taking about 15mg of valium, 75mg of tramadol, and 1-2 drinks of alcohol. It felt pretty good, although taking alcohol + a benzo isn't too safe because the combo causes a lot of CNS depression, that is why I took low doses.

I don't know if there's anything specific about this combo, but ethanol on it's own (except in really high doses) does not raise the risk of seizure:

Abstract:
The relationship between alcohol and seizures is complex and multifaceted. The prevalence of epilepsy in alcohol-dependent patients of western industrialised countries may be at least triple that in the general population, whereas the prevalence of alcoholism is only slightly higher in patients with epilepsy than in the general population.

The seizure threshold is raised by alcohol drinking and declines on cessation of drinking. As a result, during withdrawal from alcohol, usually 6–48 hours after the cessation of drinking, seizures may occur. Alcohol acts on the brain through several mechanisms that influence seizure threshold. These include effects on calcium and chloride flux through the ion-gated glutamate NMDA and GABA receptors. During prolonged intoxication, the CNS adapts to the effects of alcohol, resulting in tolerance; however, these adaptive effects seem to be transient, disappearing after alcohol intake is stopped. Although the relationship of seizures to alcohol use is likely to be dose dependent and causal, the available clinical data do not suggest that alcohol use results in seizure genesis. However, a genetic predisposition to alcohol withdrawal seizures is possible. Other seizures in alcohol-dependent individuals may be due to concurrent metabolic, toxic, infectious, traumatic, neoplastic and cerebrovascular diseases and are frequently partial-onset seizures. Alcohol abuse is a major precipitant of status epilepticus (9–25% of cases), which may even be the first-ever seizure type.

Prompt treatment of alcohol withdrawal seizures is recommended to prevent status epilepticus. During the detoxification process, primary and secondary preventative measures can be taken. A meta-analysis of controlled trials for the primary prevention of alcohol withdrawal seizures demonstrated a highly significant risk reduction for seizures with benzodiazepines and antiepileptic drugs and an increased risk with antipsychotics. A meta-analysis of randomised, placebo-controlled trials for the secondary prevention of seizures after alcohol withdrawal showed lorazepam to be effective, whereas phenytoin was ineffective. Because withdrawal seizures do not recur if the patient remains abstinent, long-term administration of antiepileptic drugs is unnecessary in abstinent patients. The first seizure not related to alcohol withdrawal should not result in permanent drug treatment in an alcohol-dependent patient, because of poor compliance and the high likelihood of remission. The treatment of alcohol dependence is more important and should be prioritised before the prevention of further seizures

^ Good point. I believe I read that alcohol + tramadol increased the risk of seizure on dea.gov, but it did seem logical to me that it was true. They were probably trying to hype up the dangers of tramadol in an attempt to get it scheduled.

Pheni what?

Phenibut. I think it was made by the Russians, it's basically GABA with a phenyl group allowing it to cross the BBB.

SO yeah, it's a drug for pinkos and commies. ;)

Ham-milton said:
I don't know if there's anything specific about this combo, but ethanol on it's own (except in really high doses) does not raise the risk of seizure:

Thanks for that ham. This article seems to say what I suspected.

This is a question I have had for some time, but have never got around to researching.

Cheers again ham.

Q.E.D.

I tried 200 mg of tramadol and 25mg of prometh and i didnt really enjoy it. i usually become more social and energized off tramadol but this combo made me sleepy as fuck! im going to try tramadol and ativan later on today....

Liver Killer

Tramadol is about 100 times harder on your liver than the old barbituates, seconal , Nembutal , etc. Be careful , maybe you should get a real opiate :p

^ Where did you come up with that number? It hasn't been proven that tramadol is anymore hepatoxic than morphine. As a matter of fact, take a look at this study:
The mean MDA level was significantly higher in morphine group compared to the tramadol and control groups (P < 0.05). Light microscopy revealed severe centrolobular congestion and focal necrosis in the liver of morphine and tramadol groups, but perivenular necrosis was present only in the morphine group. The main histopathologic finding was vacuolization in tubular cells in morphine and tramadol groups. Our findings pointed out the risk of increased lipid peroxidation, hepatic and renal damage due to long term use of opioids, especially morphine. Although opioids are reported to be effective in pain management, their toxic effects should be kept in mind during chronic usage.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15886461

They could only show hepatoxicity in rats by giving them massive doses of morphine or tramadol.

I also say alcohol, but Im dangerousssssssssssssssssssss

probably not a good idea since the side effects may incude, puking, and death

johanneschimpo said:
Considering both tramadol and alcohol lower the seizure threshold, I wouldn't say that is a safe combination by any means.
Agreed. I'd imagine a seizure would be a bit of a buzz kill lol. Be safe.