• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tolerance, Will i ever feel Hydrocdone again?

Jayman

Bluelighter
Just wanted to make a quick bit about a question i have been toiling over. I have been using op's for about 3-4 years, in which the latter part 1-2 has been heavier. I had started with 10mg of hydro getting me where i wanted to be and now it takes about 120-160mg of Oxy to feel like i want. I have done mainly hydro at start to roxi, oxy, and fent now.

My question is in a nut shell will i ever be able to feel hydrocodone if i were to quit now for say 1-2 years and then only use infrequently? I know that if i were to use again at a frequent basis my tolerance would come back to its present state, and i wish to avoid that. I have used the search engine in search of this question but i could not find a direct answer just a bit about tolerance and such. So has anyone any anecdotal experience with this type of predicament?

Any time contributing to this question is greatly appreciated.

Yea you would definitely be able to get high off it again if u take a year or more of a tolerance break. But if you use frequently your tolerance will shoot back up. So you could probably get away with 20-80mg of hydrocodone 2-3 times a month max and you would get high. But are you really going to take a year or more break? It would be worth it. And if u can do that you might as well quit while you can.

Yes in theory it would work. But like was said it wouldn't take long for it to go back up once you started using again.

Personally I also started with hydros for years then went onto oxys and other stronger opiates/opioids and now I cannot take enough hydrocodone for me to get any effect from it. You definitely would have to stop for awhile and then use very infrequently.

I've found that w/d off a small amt. of hydro, 20mg to be specific, knock me on my ass like I'm in full blown addiction again, even when I haven't used for quite some time. Just a note.

I've found that w/d off a small amt. of hydro, 20mg to be specific, knock me on my ass like I'm in full blown addiction again, even when I haven't used for quite some time. Just a note.

Withdrawing? What? He was asking about being able to lower his tolerance...I'm confused.

YES, you can get a high again from Opioids again, if you withdrawn completely from the drugs you are abusing. But the best bet is, if you withdraw from a drug YOU better stand of the drug even if this is hard, for the best you will appreciate life better without drugs.

yes, a break for that long would lower your tolerance but it wont feel the same as it did when you started out. Once you open pandoras box you cant shut it all the way again.
Having said that, a break from recreational drug use isnt a bad thing....

As the above poster said DXM will help but ketamine would be better. Not at the same time as the opiate btw, its been anecdotally reported that NMDA antagonists can cause reverse tolerence in the opiate receptors.

Here is my experience bro because I literally did what you are talking about but not an entire year. More like 3-4 months. I was on an IV oxy and Dilly binge for months. Shot 16mg of Dilly's at a time and 100 mg oxy at a time no problem and that didn't even get me blown and I could do that like every 5 seconds until I was out haha. Well after I went through the terrible pain of withdrawal and truly getting over acute and paws and becoming a real person again (which I might add is probably an impossible to understand feeling until you reach that point of sobriety again) I have been rehospitalized for major surgeries and avoided any and all narcotics for fear of addiction. However, I have mad respect for opiates now and their unbelievable power to control even the smartest and most sensible people such as myself. So when the pain got really really bad I asked for something for pain...doctor had a standard dose of 10mg norco. Dude I actually FELT that shit, made me talkative and warm! I couldn't believe it bro because I took 100mg of norco at a time or more (without killing my liver, luckily) and never even felt it. However, as mentioned above...your tolerance will SKYROCKET back up EXTREMELY FAST! I cannot stress enough HOW UNBELIEVABLY FAST it will go back up to a high level. In my experience, it was only 6 doses (4 hours apart for a total of 24 hours) that I already needed Percocet (oxy+tylenol) at 5mg. 3 doses of that and I already needed 10mg of Percocet (oxy+tylenol). 4 doses of that and I already decided to save up and pill and combine it for a total of 20mg percocet (oxy+tylenol) to feel good AND take away the pain. Now 20mg of perc (as long as I keep it to twice a day 12 hours apart) will still make me feel good, not great, but good. And because of the pain I had to be given IV Dilaudid (Pure pharmacy grade, it makes a big difference between pills and pharmacy grade please remember that) at .5 which didn't even touch me. That went to 1.0 that same night. That made me feel it a little bit. 1 to 2 days later, I was on 1.5, and 1 day after that I am now on 2.0.
Summary: Massive IV Oxy and Dilaudid Habit to sober, felt NORCO right off the bat, went to OXY and DILAUDID at standard maximum for hospitals within 1 week. So all in all, the answer is absolutely yes, but repeated use WILL skyrocket straight back to your standard tolerance (maybe a little under like in my situation, but only because I do not have access to more to continue to rocket jump it) so if you are ADDICTED I do NOT advice even testing the waters with some norco here and there, unless you make sure you have a limited supply and no way to get more quickly. In the interest of harm reduction, tell a good friend your plans and give them the drugs bro and let them dish them out to you just like the nurses do here for me. Because of my mad respect for these medications I am NOT pushing it past this point and ABSOLUTELY am not addicted again and will be able to stop instantly tomorrow upon discharge, but I was able to first-hand see how EASY IT IS TO BECOME ADDICTED AGAIN once you stop. Happy trails bro, happy trails. Peace from Riverside, California.

Just wanted to make a quick bit about a question i have been toiling over. I have been using op's for about 3-4 years, in which the latter part 1-2 has been heavier. I had started with 10mg of hydro getting me where i wanted to be and now it takes about 120-160mg of Oxy to feel like i want. I have done mainly hydro at start to roxi, oxy, and fent now.

My question is in a nut shell will i ever be able to feel hydrocodone if i were to quit now for say 1-2 years and then only use infrequently? I know that if i were to use again at a frequent basis my tolerance would come back to its present state, and i wish to avoid that. I have used the search engine in search of this question but i could not find a direct answer just a bit about tolerance and such. So has anyone any anecdotal experience with this type of predicament?

Any time contributing to this question is greatly appreciated.

I'm sure there's a way, probably by putting you into a coma, loading you up with high doses of naloxone for a week or two and then waking you up from the coma. Listen, society does not invest in euphoria. Human knowledge on pleasure and euphoria is that of a mental retard. They believe it's more important to know the wavelength of the light coming into the Hubble telescope from some red dwarf 4 million light years away. What do you want me to say...it's idiotic but these are the people we have to live and deal with every day. They are stressed, overworked souls who know nothing else but they are our friends, mothers and sisters. We love them, stupid like they are.

It's a tragicomedy. Life gives the utmost clue on it's reason: Pleasure. And people are so blind that they seek everything except that. I feel sad for them.

I had a horrible back injury in '05 that resulted in some major problems for me by related affect (2 DVT's, both PE's, etc).

I weened myself off (my myself no less) from MS ER 280mg/day to 0 in a little under 19 months. In the six years it took me to heal my back (Tore L5S1/S2 up), I took the gamut of pain killers, Hydromorphone, Opana ER, everything from 180mg OXY /day to 150mcg worth of Fentanyl patches every 48hours. I started weening off in October of 2011.

Two months ago, about the same time as when Ohio State QB Braxton Miller bruised his knee this year, I tore my MCL, ACL, and four other obscure tendons in my left knee (playing indoor with kids half my age :D, thought I was in an over 35 league).

At first I was given Oxy 5mg x 5 PRN, but they were frankly too strong, and I'm responsible for my 19 month old son during the day, so I gave those back to the doc, and switched back to Hydrocodone 10/325 x 6 PRN.

It's been about 4 months since I got off everything and was down to zero and I can say that the Oxy was way too strong for me. I'll probably go back to them after my knee surgery on Nov 21, but I was quite surprised with how effective they actually were....

Withdrawing? What? He was asking about being able to lower his tolerance...I'm confused.

Thanks for pointing that out. That should've been a side note; must've gotten off the original track.

I've been off subs for a month after a year and two months daily use and a slow taper. Before that was taking ~360 mg hydros daily, pretty consistently for two years or so. Didn't take a lot of oxys b/c they always spelled trouble for me, but I definitely thought the subs would mess up my tolerance. Now I don't notice a mood lift or even increased energy with 10mg, nothing at all, but was surprised to find I can still get a somewhat decent opiate buzz at 20mg. Based on my experience, a year or two completely off all opiates might return someone to almost early-use levels. Even still, if I could stay tidy for 1-2 years, I would probably consider carefully before starting the whole cycle over again.

Ive had the same experience, just a couple months off all meds and One day swallowed two hydro 10s . extremely high. Pain free! LOveD it!

As for DXM, i have tried it, 90mg with 80mg oxy. The DXM was overpowering and nauseating. I have tried 60mg of DXM and it was better but... not a miracle.

And Also thanks for the time invested. Appreciate every post. Hawk, your story is incourageing. Thanks all.

As for DXM, i have tried it, 90mg with 80mg oxy. The DXM was overpowering and nauseating. I have tried 60mg of DXM and it was better but... not a miracle.

Not only does it potientate, it lowers tolerance to opioids. The regiment I like too do is 60-120mg dxm every other day for a couple weeks/as long as your comfortable, then if you've been abstaining from opioids also, after this period your tolerance will significantly decrease. Dxm helps suppress opioid wd too which I love. Dxm has trivial mu-opioid agonism but one of its metabolites, 3-methylmethhorphan, looks pretty interesting to me.

It goes to show at how much our tolerances have grown wild. IMO, hydrocodone is rather weak in binding affinity and rec activation...

And Also thanks for the time invested. Appreciate every post. Hawk, your story is incourageing. Thanks all.

You are welcome bro, I was really tired and med'd up when I wrote that so I apologize for the long run-on sentences and no paragraph structure.