• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

golf-ball sized lump 1 inch below left ribcase

bipolair

Bluelighter
Hi there, I catched the flu a few days ago and am recovering now. However, since yesterday I've got a dull pain below my left rib case, on the left side of my abdominal. Today I suddenly felt a lump there. It's quite a large lump and hurts slightly when I press it. I've had pains in that exact area for a couple of years now that has been coming and going, nothing severe.. just discomfort. I went to a physician once for this and he told me that I should probably just drink more water.
I was wondering what this might be as it got me slightly worried. I figured that it might be a hernia caused by the intense coughing cause of the flu. Or maybe a weak spot in my stomach that turned into a stomach ulcer?
I can't really afford to go to a physician at the moment so thats why I'm asking here.

Thanks

Last edited:
We aren't doctors, you should go see one. It could be something serious, or something minor like a pulled muscle that just gets repeatedly hurt so it forms a hardish mass. But, not a single one of us, doctor or not, can evaluate over the internet. You need to see a doctor for answers.

if it is a herniation of the gastric area that is very serious and you could need a upper gi panel , i have a herniation of the cardiac sphincter and occasionaly i will get a ball of what feels like fluid filled sac under my ribcage near the transition between the solar plexus and the radius under the bottom rib and i presented at the ER and they kept me for 3 days doing tests never did get a precise diagnosis but the meds they gave me help.See a Pro and to hell about the cost .. not to be ignored..M.

edit1: ulcers are really unpredictable 3 days and you may feel fine or they could go bleeding and get so painful that it will double you over so bad that you look like a human beach ball.

Last edited:
Oke, so I just came back from the doctor. Its a lump at the subcostal area and I've got an appointment set for an ultrasound at the 14th of Sep. He suspects it's a hernia.

The pain has disappeared btw for some reason

Thanks for all your replies!