• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Paraphernalia How to store Medical Cannabis

Lysergaman

Bluelighter
I just bought a couple ounces of cannabis from a local dispensary, and dumped it into a few mason jars stored in my closet. Ive never stored this much before so I was wondering if there was anything else I should do to keep it preserved. Do I need to burp the jars to prevent mold? Does medical cannabis come already cured? And if so does that mean it wont mold?

Thanks, i appreciate any Info

Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job. The cannabis is cured, but a burp every couple days won't hurt just to make sure all the moisture is out.
Another product you might look into is a Boveda pack. They control the humidity inside the jars so it won't get dry or moldy. Since you're in a medical state they shouldn't be too hard to find at a dispensary or head shop, but if not you can buy them online. They are pretty nice to have around.

Oh if you have a vacuum sealer put the glass jars in a bag and vacuum seal them! Though idk how common they are.

Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job. The cannabis is cured, but a burp every couple days won't hurt just to make sure all the moisture is out.
Another product you might look into is a Boveda pack. They control the humidity inside the jars so it won't get dry or moldy. Since you're in a medical state they shouldn't be too hard to find at a dispensary or head shop, but if not you can buy them online. They are pretty nice to have around.

You definitely don't want "all the moisture out" lol. Well-cured weed still has some water content and if it didn't it would burn/vaporize like complete shit and be harsh as fuck. Also every time you open the jar you're losing probably dozens of micrograms of terpenes, open it up say 20 times and there's not a lot left.

Oh if you have a vacuum sealer put the glass jars in a bag and vacuum seal them! Though idk how common they are.

Thing #1 not to do with weed is vacuum seal it. You just turned micrograms of terpene loss into instant 100% volatile compound loss.

The curing process only takes a couple weeks and is done prior to sales. The mason jars in your closet should be sufficient for storage, just try to keep it out of light and never open unless necessary.

Boveda packs and other humidifying products is an easy way to make mold. Stay away from them unless your weed is garbage. And by garbage, I mean brown seedy flat brick weed from Mexico. Bottom shelf weed from stores should still be good enough stuff that you want to take care of properly.

You definitely don't want "all the moisture out" lol. Well-cured weed still has some water content and if it didn't it would burn/vaporize like complete shit and be harsh as fuck. Also every time you open the jar you're losing probably dozens of micrograms of terpenes, open it up say 20 times and there's not a lot left.

Thing #1 not to do with weed is vacuum seal it. You just turned micrograms of terpene loss into instant 100% volatile compound loss.
You want to maybe offer some advice then? If you have some information that could help this person IDK why you wouldn't share it.

False. Just false.

I have jars of herb that are vacuum sealed from December 2017 that are still loud and dank when I pop the jar.

We also vacuum sealed all the pounds on the farm last year. It's an excellent way to preserve terpenes.

Sure, there's way you can do it that damage the herb, but just don't vacuum it into a brick... Consumer vacuum sealers are not strong enough to vacuum terpenes off cannabis.

False. Just false.

I have jars of herb that are vacuum sealed from December 2017 that are still loud and dank when I pop the jar.

We also vacuum sealed all the pounds on the farm last year. It's an excellent way to preserve terpenes.

Sure, there's way you can do it that damage the herb, but just don't vacuum it into a brick... Consumer vacuum sealers are not strong enough to vacuum terpenes off cannabis.

Lol sorry, you're just completely wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatility_(chemistry)

After all that fuss, a basic wiki link is really disappointing.

I was hoping you had something more substantial to say.

All bud sold from a medical dispensary will already be cured. There shouldn't be any benefit from curing it any further. You don't want to dry it out and it shouldn't grow mold under normal conditions. A sealed plastic bag is probably the best way to store it. A mason jar or a prescription bottle is also fine unless you're keeping it for more than a month.

^ Yeah the prescription bottles are handy but don't do much for long term preservation. The plastic bag used with the mason jar is a good combo as SheWasLvL18 suggested.

I usually place the sealed plastic bag inside the mason jar.

https://www.kushbottles.com/products/packaging-flower-poptop-usa-30

This is the type of bottle almost all dispensaries here use. Some of them use a mylar bag for say a quarter ounce or more, but those are worthless because once you break the heat seal it's just pissing out terpenes left and right and the weed ends up smelling like dust after a couple weeks. I'm not sure how well sealed the pop top bottles are but you really, really have to try hard to smell anything from a sealed one. I'm guessing it's 98% of the way to completely airtight. I've had nearly year old weed in these, a bit of terpene loss from being opened dozens of times, but perfectly good weed.

My distillate syringes come little tubes like that. It works pretty well for sealing keeping stuff fresh.

Funny that you should say that. I also have had Rick Simpson Oil in my fridge for about a year so far. Just outta curiosity, how long do you think that it will maintain its potency? Its in an airtight bag so Im assuming its got a long shelf life, but Ive never had it that long before.

The potency will last for years to come if it's in an airtight, dark container in the fridge.

It will slow the decarboxylate and other natural synthesis processes down considerably.

I don't know about oil, but with hash that's stored in the fridge you have to let it return to room temperature before you open it otherwise the moisture will cause it to "grease" up.

Very good point. I agree 100%. It's true with any cannabis product put in the fridge. Moisture is an enemy when it comes to storage. Another way around this problem is to package individual amounts inside of another package so waiting isn't as necessary after opening it up.

One more note of thought, I don't use the fridge for flower because it causes the trichs to become brittle and fall off of the flower.

I don't understand the advice being doled out here. Someone earlier in the thread advised against Boveda packs because they create mold? They're specifically used to counteract mold. A lot of places claim that storage of weed is only good for 6 months. Is simply storing them in mason jars in the dark good enough? I am having a hard time myself figuring out the best way for long termy storage. A lot of jars online that claim to be smell proof and airtight for storage as well. They seem to have good reviews. You can find those on Amazon. Anyway, don't mean to hijack the thread.

Cheers

Tomer

I think what you are seeing are opinions. There isn't one right answer for what is "good enough". There are only considerations.

Boveda packs do both - they are a two way humidity system. It has the potential to dry as well as wet, or create mold if you will. As a purist who has grown, cured and stored weed, anything that has the potential to make mold is a bad idea in my opinion. I've seen people use them to cure weed as well and again as a purist I would never do it myself. If it tickles your fancy, don't let that stop you from trying it.

I prefer to use mason jars in conjunction with sealed plastic bags for storage. If it's oil, it goes in the fridge. That's it for me, pretty simple.

I have heard good things about vacuum sealed jars and if you want to buy a popular jar online with good reviews, I personally don't see any major problem with it.