• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom withdrawal after single use?

ineKing

Greenlighter
Ive searched and cant find anything.. this is so weird to me. I am a long time opiate addict (morphine, heroin) and have been off suboxone for almost 2 years. In this time kratom is the only opiate ive used. Ive used kratom several times throughout my life and even developed an addiction a while back, it took me down and I quit after seeing how unforgiving the plant really is.
Saturday I took a dose of 2g red vein and 1g green vein and went to a show, after a period of abstinence for at least 2 months. I knew I would regret this but did it anyway. Sunday I decided to take another 1.5g of red vein and chill out with a movie. That was my last dose, by monday night I had a fever, aching joints, cold sweats, hot chills, constipation (im sure will be followed by full on diarrhea) sinuses all fucked up chest is congested feel like I got pneumonia...I am SICK.
The last many times ive done a single dose of kratom after a period of abstinence its like my body remembers how addicted I am, andI get sick. oh, the insanity. Why do I continue to put this in my body knowing once I do I have to continue use? Will I never be able to use this recreationally? Part of me has always wanted to take another dose to see if the symptoms stop, to prove to myself once and for all this is truly w/d symptoms from kratom but I never do because I know I will only be prolonging my recovery. This time im tempted. Because I go to the doctor everytime and they say its either flu or upper respiratory infection - I just want to know the truth! Has anyone ever experienced this? Is this in fact kratom withdrawl, every single time?

Yup, sounds like withdrawal... don't prolong it by taking another dose as it sounds like you already know this is withdrawal and if two doses got you to this point, imagine where three will take you. Every time you kick an opioid habit it becomes that much easier to find yourself dependent after only a few uses. This applies to all mu agonists, I would assume you'd get the same reaction had you taken oxy or something.

I'm in the same boat, I can be clean for months and after two uses I'm in minor withdrawal for a few days. I blame this on constantly taking week to several week long tolerance breaks, seems like "responsible" use was a double edges sword, though it could just be the 4+ years of opioid dependace. Your days of chipping may be over my friend, as sad as it may sound.

At this point you have to choose a life free of opioids or having to deal with a couple days of shittyness everytime you wanna get a high. Your receptors must be really fried if such low doses caused a flare up of withdrawal. Did you notice any withdrawal after your first use? If your dead set on chipping perhaps you can get away with a single dose every few months, other than that it sounds like it's the end of the line. Hope you make the right choice and stay clean, because it's not just tolerance that gets worse with each kick, the withdrawal gets tougher as well unfortunately :\

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, friend.
Do you mean first use ever or my first dose saturday?
well neither, but im willing to believe if I didnt take a dose sunday id been in withdrawal sooner.
The first dose I ever took, ever in my life, the only side effect I saw post-use was maybe some constipation followed by rebound diarrhea. It was only minor then, youre totally right it gets worse and worse.
This sucks. Right now im freezing and have sweated through my clothes (thermal and sweats) onto my sheets and cant sleep. Ive taken 2 promethazine throughout the night mainly for sleep and its not working, and can feel the nausea coming on!
I still wonder 2 things, did I really just catch the flu from someone at the show and this isnt withdrawal? But what are the chances every damm time I take a single even small dose to break out in this capacity? And also, maybe my kratom is tainted. Ive heard some stories about it coming back from the lab and found trace amounts of feces, chemicals and viruses. However I dont know how credible these stories are?

For some reason a big part of me believes this is withdrawal and my time as a recreational user is over, but another part of me wont accept that, it sounds a little extreme that I can be THAT bad, my receptors that fried even after such a time of abstinence. Ahhh shit.

This is very strange. I mean how can you be in withdraw using that after being clean, as I understood.
Even with heroin, this does not happen like that..
Crack maybe, if we are talking about psychologically dependence. But that´s something else.
Do you think you still had opiates in your blood stream.

For some reason a big part of me believes this is withdrawal and my time as a recreational user is over, but another part of me wont accept that, it sounds a little extreme that I can be THAT bad, my receptors that fried even after such a time of abstinence. Ahhh shit.

Of course!!

This is very strange. I mean how can you be in withdraw using that after being clean, as I understood.
Even with heroin, this does not happen like that..
You'd be surprised how easy it is to reinstate withdrawals after having several dependencies and tbh, 2 months of clean time would land me in a similar scenario. It's a crappy problem alot of long term addicts run into. I wonder if it's so extreme in my case due to the fact that I'm regularly taking different opioids as opposed to sticking to just one, maybe not.

@King Sorry should've made it clearer, yeah I was talking about that dose on Saturday. So you think that Saturday dose still would've put you into withdrawal huh? Man... I understand how your feeling and all, but if it IS withdrawal and you take another dose your only gonna prolong your hell so while in the short it seems worth it, you'll probably be wishing you didn't. Maybe you can take a minuscule dose like half a gram or something and see if that brings any relief if you have doubts.

Although quite a coincidence, it could be possible that you just caught a flu at a strange time. This would be far more likely than tainted kratom, I've eaten heaps of kratom from many different suppliers for years and haven't gotten sick once. What's funny, and I can also attest to this, many kratom users claim that ever since they started taking kratom they hardly or even never got sick. You'd think i'm making this up but I swear, this is something I've heard more than a few times over the years.

Im positive I didnt have any opiates in my system!
& yeah it seems like a hell of a coincidence that id catch the flu every time the last few times ive used kratom. This is why I kicked it last time, I realized the come down was so shitty even though I can afford it, even though I got a stash, I didnt wanna feel like that sober. The last 3 times (including this time) ive went to the doctor and theyve tested me for flu and came back negative (however they werent sure this time I saw the test it looks like I may have a mild flu judging by the test) and just told me I have an upper respiratory infection and gave me a script for mucinex or zyrtec and an antibiotic a steroid shot and an antibiotic shot.
I dont think its ever been THIS bad before. In the past I've had mostly diarrhea, fever and cold sweats and hot chills, but none of this insomnia and sweating through my clothes onto my sheets. My appetite, I can feel my stomach is eating itself but im not hungry. Nothing tastes good. It takes forever to eat anything. And this is strange because prior to this I was eating 4-6 meals a day lifting weight 6 days a week. Now Im having to force myself to eat.
My fever is not that bad though. Its around 98.5-99.5. I remember having a fever of 107 but thats another story altogether. Point is, my fever is pretty low for all this shit to be going on! I wish and have wished before I could just throw my kratom stash away!

Edit: Ive noticed this before, when I use kratom and until a few days after dosing Im left with oily skin, particularly on my face. This time it's bad, like I got a THICK, shiny film over my face. Im literally glowing, with bloodshot eyes. I can wash my face and dry it up and it comes right back. Ive been wondering, how common this is? This starts before any withdrawal starts.

Last edited:
Well whatever it is, it sounds like kratom is just not getting along with you so maybe it would be best to avoid it from now on. If this "flu" comes on after every dose it's definitely withdrawal. This sounds cumulative from past opioid abuse, because two small doses like this wouldn't cause this hell in your average joe. Plain kratom withdrawal (no prior opioid addictions), for me... consists of restlessness, insomnia, muscle aches, sweats, and anxiety.

Strangely most people never get severe GI side-effects. I got none at all, no cramps, no nausea, no diarrhea, and no puking. Alot of the people who get severe gastrointestinal side-effects, besides maybe diarrhea or minor cramps have a prior history of addiction. I was able to eat and keep down food with ease, though it seems like the price for this is increased restlessness. Kratom withdrawal makes me restless as hell, very unpleasant but the withdrawal is essentially over by day 5 even after quitting daily use for years. It's got a very short half-life.

The more you keep trying to use irregularly, the longer and more intense this rebound will be. Eventually one dose will have you in near full blown withdrawal if you keep this up it sounds like. I don't really know what else to tell ya besides avoiding kratom from now on and try not to push your luck in the future. It sucks, I know, but that few hours of euphoria can't be worth what your going through, that's for sure. I would personally give yourself at least a month before trying to get high again, and if you find that you can get away with one dose, please don't push your luck and take another... you don't wanna end up back in this situation.

I've noticed this before, when I use kratom and until a few days after dosing Im left with oily skin, particularly on my face. This time it's bad, like I got a THICK, shiny film over my face. I'm literally glowing, with bloodshot eyes. I can wash my face and dry it up and it comes right back. I've been wondering, how common this is? This starts before any withdrawal starts
I've never heard of nor experienced this, I would assume it's very uncommon.

Last edited: