• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Diphenhydramine HCL vs Doxylamine Succinate

the unknown

Bluelighter
Ive always taken diphenhydramine for sleep and it works good. Sometimes i find, however, that it has no effect on me. Its kind of hit or miss. Dip has always been marketed as an OTC hypnotic or sleep aid. Also Doxylamine Succinate is marketed as such and is a common active ingredient in Tylenol Cold and Nyquil.

My questions are...

1) Which do YOU find more useful for a sleep aid, basically which one works better.

2) Im pretty sure i know the answer but is it safe to mix the two for a sleep aid, recently ive taken tylenol cold (Doxylamine Succinate) and tylenol simply sleep (Diphenhydramine HCL) together for sleep aids.

3) Generally i take 50-100mg of Diphenhydramine HCL for a hypnotic, what is a good/equiv dose of Doxylamine Succinate (i believe 6.75mg comes in nyquil per 15ml dose and 25mg single dose as an isolated drug sold per hypnotic (ie Restavit)

Taking ~60ml of nyquil has always knocked me out what do you think???

25mg Diphenhydramine = 25mg Doxylamine I think.

Diphenhydramine is stronger, it knocks you out, while Doxylamine is smoother, gives a more gently sleep.
Doxylamine gives almost no hangover, while Diphenhydramine's hangover sucks...

Doxylamine feels like a cross between a low dose Zolpidem (Ambien) and Diphenhydramine...

yea ^^^ def +1 to the hangover, thats the only bad thing about dip i could find it really gives horrific shity still feeling like you need more sleep kind of hangover, thats why i wanted to try and switch to doxylamine for sleep but...

can i find it easy as an isolated drug OTC? I really dont feel like drinking nyquil/tylenol cold with all the APAP and other nasty stuff that its combined with...

the unknown said:
Ive always taken diphenhydramine for sleep and it works good. Sometimes i find, however, that it has no effect on me. Its kind of hit or miss. Dip has always been marketed as an OTC hypnotic or sleep aid. Also Doxylamine Succinate is marketed as such and is a common active ingredient in Tylenol Cold and Nyquil.

My questions are...

1) Which do YOU find more useful for a sleep aid, basically which one works better.

2) Im pretty sure i know the answer but is it safe to mix the two for a sleep aid, recently ive taken tylenol cold (Doxylamine Succinate) and tylenol simply sleep (Diphenhydramine HCL) together for sleep aids.

3) Generally i take 50-100mg of Diphenhydramine HCL for a hypnotic, what is a good/equiv dose of Doxylamine Succinate (i believe 6.75mg comes in nyquil per 15ml dose and 25mg single dose as an isolated drug sold per hypnotic (ie Restavit)

Taking ~60ml of nyquil has always knocked me out what do you think???

1. Diphenhydramine works better for me.

2. I mixed them, don't know if it's really safe, but it felt like I just took the same dose of diphenhydramine. The other didn't seem to effect me much at all.

3. I use 100mg of diphenhydramine one night, then the next I will use 50mg of doxylamine succinate the other. The reccomended dosage of 25mg seems to have little effect on me.

- Diphenhydramine will keep me asleep all night, but leaves me drowsy in the morning if I took it less than 8 hours before I woke up. It also feels better and is more calming in my oppinion ;)

- Doxylamine Succinate won't keep me asleep all night half the time. It seems to be a short acting drug. Takes only around 30 minutes for it to kick in (where as diphenhydramine takes about an hour) and only makes me drowsy for about 2 hours tops.

the unknown said:
can i find it easy as an isolated drug OTC? I really dont feel like drinking nyquil/tylenol cold with all the APAP and other nasty stuff that its combined with...

Yes.
'Unisom' is the name brand, but I buy the generic instead. Much cheaper...

Unisom contains only Doxylamine Succinate.

btw, I like the stuff better than Diphenhydramine HCL. it doesn't give me the body load or the sluggish wiped out feeling that diphen does. plus i like combining it with opiates. I don't like taking Diphen with opiates.

uumpaloompa said:
Unisom contains only Doxylamine Succinate.

the unisom sleep tabs contain the doxylamine, wheres the sleep gels have the diphenhydramine. here in australia at least.

i prefer the doxylamine personally. as far as i know they are equivalent potency.

jasoncrest said:
25mg Diphenhydramine = 25mg Doxylamine I think.

Diphenhydramine is stronger, it knocks you out, while Doxylamine is smoother, gives a more gently sleep.
Doxylamine gives almost no hangover, while Diphenhydramine's hangover sucks...

Doxylamine feels like a cross between a low dose Zolpidem (Ambien) and Diphenhydramine...

I get the exact opposite effect. Doxylamine gives me such a bad hangover I will only take it if I am miserable and cannot get to sleep by any other means, and have nothing to do the next morning. Its not smooth at all for me. I get very drowsy very quickly, and if I am not already laying down I feel dizzy and sick. I almost always sleep through my alarm in the morning, and have to have someone wake me up. Then I'm sleepy until sometime in the afternoon. It sucks.

I find doxylamine succinate to be way way more sedating. In fact almost too sedating to combine with an opiate! Im suprised everyone likes diphenhydramine so much more. I also get a more extended "hangover" with the doxylamine. I feel like 12.5 doxylamine succinate = 25 diphenhydramine HCl. Just my 2 cents. I seem to have weird preferences compared to most on this board.

I actually find diphenhydramine sleep far more pleasant but as most people have said, the "hangover" sucks.

Doxy works alright for me but I think it comes in lower doses OTC(something like 10mg total). I usually notice no drowsiness whatsoever in the morning.

I sometimes mix 75mg diphen and 10mg(+APAP)doxy if I really can't sleep. Works alright although i'm definatley dragging a bit in the morning.

i have doxy pills 25mg.. little blue footballs.. easily passed off as xanax.. lol.. never done it (never will) but that was the first thing i noticed..
Doxy kicks ass when u have nothing else to help you sleep.. its something like 24% bioavailable orally and 70 nasally.. i never really eat them.. snorting like 12.5mg gives good enough effects in combo w/ opiates and for sleep.. benadryl is prefered for itchiness though

does doxy really have a nasal bio that high? where did you get your source? ive never heard of anyone taking antihistamines nasaly. nuts.

wow i just found teh same figures on pubmed. thats fucking nuts. anyone else here ever snorted doxys? seems like that would save you alot of drug/money

"Intranasal bioavailability was greater than that of oral doxylamine succinate (70.8 vs 24.7%). The intranasal and oral routes of administration differed significantly from the intravenous route of administration. Peak plasma concentration (C(max)) was 887.6 ng/ml (S.D. 74.4), 281.4 ng/ml (S.D. 24.6) and 1296.4 ng/ml (S.D. 388.9) for the intranasal, oral and intravenous routes, respectively. The time to achieve C(max) for the intranasal route (t(max)=0.5 h)
was faster than for the oral route (t(max)=1.5 h), but no statistically significant differences between the C(max) values were found using 95% confidence intervals. The results of this study show that doxylamine succinate is rapidly and effectively absorbed from the nasal mucosa."

stolen from pubmed. im not saying that anyone would want to, or should snort these, i just found this information quite fascinating.

I get almost no effect at all from doses of doxylamine as high as 125mg, and any more than that and I become ill. Diphenhydramine is much more effective as a sleep aid. Even better (though very similar) is dimenhydrinate. It is only about half as potent as diphenhydramine per weight, but for some reason much more capable of inducing sleep in me.

Diphenhydramine is awesome.
I can take it in the middle of the day when i have SO much energy and it will knock me right out.
and i love the body load it gives! that makes it that much easier to get to sleep.
and right before i fall asleep i get this rush of euphoria and tingling all over my body...then BANG im out cold.
i never get a hangover from the stuff either...but i dose low (50mg) most of the time

also, theraflu has these "multi symptom" dissolving strips and the only active ingredient is diphen! that was great news for me since i cant swallow pills. i think its 25mg's diphen per thinstrip.

so for science sake, i just snorted 2 doxys (25 mg) and it was rather foul and the powder kept flying down my throat. for some rason its very hard to get this shit to just stay in your nose. i kept coughing out powder. i guess thats what i get for snorting an antihistamine lol. but, the effects are definatly more than twice as strong as swallowing. quite impressed, but i cant bring myself to snort any mroe of that shit. im going to bed lol. peace

egor said:
Even better (though very similar) is dimenhydrinate. It is only about half as potent as diphenhydramine per weight, but for some reason much more capable of inducing sleep in me.

Thats weird because Dimenhydrinate= Diphenhydramine+Theophyllin
The Theophyllin is added to reduce the drowsiness for patients who ingest the drug for its other purpose, allergies. Here in Germany there are even Dimenhydrinate Chewing Gums available :D

I personally dont like Doxy nor Diphenhydramine. I get a bad hangover from both substances that makes me not wanna leave the bed the whole day.

I don't want to come accross as an arsehole. But you are talking about 2 or 3 OTC drugs. In no way am I proud of it, but I have taken heaps of illegal and over the counter drugs. By the time I was 16, I was abusing OTC drugs. Let me telll you, you can take a shit load and still have minimal effects. to answer your question, It won't hurt you. But if you are trying to get high, OTC's are not the answer.

You are better off going with real drugs.