European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

What drugs can dogs actually smell?

Gavin83

Bluelighter
Obviously when police use sniffer dogs they are doing so with the purpose of finding coke and we all know they'll find cannabis as well, but what else can dogs actually pick up on? For example, what about stuff like ecstasy and LSD? I've never heard of dogs picking up on pills before but I've never heard it stated it can't be done either.

So, what can those canines smell?

They can smell anything they're trained to smell.

Most dogs are trained for the most common substances, like cocaine, cannabis, herion, etc..

Some are trained for MDMA, some aren't, never heard anything regarding LSD but i'm almost certain they can be trained for that too.

I have serious doubts about dog's smelling out LSD.

*CHECKS*

Here we go!

Topic in alt.drugs.psychedelics - view in Groups BetaNew!

Start a new topic - Subscribe to this group - About group Messages 1 - 8 of 8

Fixed font - Proportional font
[Click the star to watch this topic] Can police dogs smell LSD?
All 8 messages in topic - view as tree

Date: Sat 15 Mar 1997 00:00
Email: [email protected]
Groups: alt.drugs.psychedelics
Not yet rated
Rating:
show options
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Does anyne know if police dogs can smell LDS????

Date: Sun 16 Mar 1997 00:00
Email: Xrxrx <[email protected]>
Groups: alt.drugs.psychedelics
Not yet rated
Rating:
show options
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

[email protected] writes: >
> Does anyne know if police dogs can smell LDS????

Nope. Speaking as a former drug-sniffer trainer, the only thing
dogs can smell are the teeny-tiny little particles that flake off
whatever it is they are trained to find. We only trained dogs
to sniff for narcotics (they'd alert on some folks heart medicine
too); I suppose the tiny amounts of LSD it would take to get a dog
high would not be enough for it to smell. And when you got a big
enough chunk of the stuff for the dog to smell, well, I can't
imagine him being able to do much about it . . . nah, the training
wouldn't be practical to do . . .

As an oh-by-the-way, if you want to package something so that a dog
couldn't detect it, what ya gotta do is put the stuff inside a non-
porus container and make absolutely certain that there is absolutely
no possibility of any sort of residue on the outside. Dogs can't
smell through plastic or glass, but sure can pick up the oils and
particles that contaminated hands leave on the outside . . .

Karaboudjan said:
A mate of mine got nicked in Farringdon station a couple of weekends ago with pills and PEP pills on him. He said they had dogs. I don't know whether it was the E, the PEP pills or just his dodgy look that gave him away but heh :\

He'd probably been smoking weed earlier, or was wearing a jacket that was previously exposed to weed smoke. I doubt sniffer dogs would pick up a couple of pills in a bag in someone's pocket as they walked through a train station. When they use them at airports they're sniffing directly over the bags they're checking.

As for LSD, I'm also doubtful that dogs would be trained to smell this, mainly because of the difficulty of obtaining sufficient acid to train the dogs with in the first place. They could certainly be trained to smell blotter paper though.

They have dogs that smell for DVDs now, supposedly to check for piracy but it also gives police at airports another excuse to check the bags of dodgy-looking characters.

Edit: Jude101's post would seem to confirm this, though the part about dogs being unable to smell through plastic could be misleading. A lot of plastic bags have pores large enough to let scent molecules through. You can usually smell weed through a plastic bag with a human nose, so a dog will definitely be able to detect it.

You could be right, having a dog around gives the police officers pretty much free reign to search anyone and blame it on the dog.

It's like when the fuckers stop you in Airports and while searching the ask questions like " so do you buy weed often" or "do you use many drugs" trying to entrap you so they can hit their bloody arrest targets for the month.

Or is it just me this happens to??:)

Drug dogs will only alert officers to a scent when they are given the order to search, to my understanding.

I was told that drug dogs in airports smell drugs for a huge portion of the day but don't go crazy barking or give the cops their signal because they have not been told to search for anything.

This seems to be true. If a K9 unit went nuts every time he smelled a "jacket that was previously exposed to weed smoke", they would have to get them out of the airport because they'd be barking all day long :D

I'll try and find some facts on this and edit my post in a little bit.

The big dogs are generally to catch people who look panicked the little ones are the proper sniffers.

dogs CAN smell LSD, they even make a synthetic LSD smell to train dogs.

^ i'm interested to read some background on that. can you post a link?

thanks

alasdair

He also claimed the distinction of being the only LSD detector dog in Canada and perhaps the USA at that time. Training to detect LSD was not done in the past because the substance is so dangerous to use. Chemical effects of a micro-dot can be absorbed through the skin and be disastrous to the animal. The SIGMA Chemical Company in St. Louis Missouri selected Bill to work with a drug dog training aid they developed called "pseudo LSD". The product, while safe to dogs, mimics the actual odor that real LSD emanates thereby allowing safe training conditions. Bill and Tengu worked with the new formula and then tested on real Lysergic Acid Diethylamide. The stuff worked, Tengu has proven to be able to locate quantities as small as 5 micro-dots hidden in cabinets, books and vehicles

From the Psuedo LSD website
SIGMA PSEUDO LSD FORMULATION is a canine training aid which can be used in training situations where the handling of potentially toxic, controlled substances would be inappropriate, such as initial training of a new dog or when train rig or demonstrating in front of large crowds. PSEUDO LSD is designed to mimic the odor of illicit lyserglic acid diethylamide (LSD). SIGMA PSEUDO LSD, like all SIGMA PSEUDO- products, is field tested and proven to provide the same canine response as authentic LSD, without the hazards.

While the actual formulation of PS

I had a pill in my top pocket once when a dog came in and had a sniff around. Admittedly ti did not get too close but it just buggered off to track down evil Drug dealers who loiter in bars peddling there life destroying wares ;)

masheadatronic said:
Thats funny seeing as LSD has no smell.
Everything has a smell mash, the nose basicaly feels the shape ("the smell") of the molecules, tastes them almost and then the destinctions in shape of molecule give us the effect of smell.

they can obviously smell cocaine, meth, heroin, weed/hash, mushrooms, just about any powder, but im not sure about pills or lsd

Never understand why people "aren't sure" about dogs being able to smell pills.

Even I can smell a bag of pills, that stinky saffarol smell.

AuraithX said:
To humans.

read my last post mashead.

Its fucking odourless, this be the case whether you are a dog, human or AuraithX.

The only suggestion I can have is that the dog was smelling a microdot, so whatever the LSD was mixed with on the microdot, the dog was recognising that smell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mash, there is no such thing as odurless, if it exists as a mollecule it has a smell.

If you refere to my earlier analogy, the nose works like a pair of hands feeling the chemical structure and shape of a mollecule.

This shape gives it a smell, if any mollecule comes in to contact with your nose it can be sensed.

It's like our nose reading brail.

Unless LSD is actualy not real, and we've just been eating paper and imagining the trips it has a smell.