• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome Support Thread

Verybuffed

Bluelighter
This thread is a work in progress. If you have anything to add, anecdotal or otherwise, please feel free to post it in this thread.

Wikipedia defines Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome as:

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome is a disorder associated with long-term chronic cannabis use that is characterized by recurrent nausea, vomiting and colicky abdominal pain has been reported.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_hyperemesis_syndrome

I am intending that this thread be used for support issues relating to the Hyperemesis condition. Hopefully we can list some proven methods to reduce symptoms.

So far Wiki recommends for relief of symptoms:

*Taking a hot shower or bath for temporary relief.

*Abstaining from the use of Cannabis for more permanent relief.

Here are the threads from where we have touched on this previously in CD.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/571444-Stomach-pains-lack-of-appetite?highlight=hyperemesis

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/...is-Hyperemesis-Syndrome?highlight=hyperemesis

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/...id-Hyperemesis-Syndrome?highlight=hyperemesis

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/431425-Cannibinoid-hyperememis?highlight=hyperemesis

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/...m-of-compulsive-bathing?highlight=hyperemesis

Some anecdotal methods for reducing nausea.

*Take ginger tablets. Be careful not to throw them up as it will some of the worst pain you have ever experienced.

*A Chemotherapy drug named Ondansetron will instantly stop vomiting. This medication is prescription only in Australia but is used in the accident and emergency departments of the hospitals. The brand name in Australia is Zofran.

I've been a daily smoker for the last ten or so years, except that in recent months not so much. I have also been one to experience nausea and vomiting in the morning soon after I wake and it has subsided recently. It seems that there is a correlation between my cannabinoid use and these symptoms. Though I have not noticed constant abdominal pains, I do get sharp, transient pains in my abdomen/lower torso. I have not noticed any symptom relief uypon bathing, though I have not payed much attention.

I've been a daily smoker for the last ten or so years, except that in recent months not so much. I have also been one to experience nausea and vomiting in the morning soon after I wake and it has subsided recently. It seems that there is a correlation between my cannabinoid use and these symptoms. Though I have not noticed constant abdominal pains, I do get sharp, transient pains in my abdomen/lower torso. I have not noticed any symptom relief uypon bathing, though I have not payed much attention.

Thanks for posting that Venrak.

That is interesting about the bath not providing relief from your symptoms as my observations echo your experience. The only place I have read that a bath or shower reduces symptoms is on Wikipedia and in media articles on Hyperemesis like the Aussie one where patients where demanding to use the shower in accident and emergency.

Cannabis users 'suffering new syndrome'
By Danny Rose
AAP
March 23, 2009 05:47pm

THERE is mounting evidence to support the existence of a new syndrome afflicting heavy cannabis users, after the world's first cases were found in South Australia.

The condition "cannabinoid hyperemesis" was first identified in a group of about 20 heavy drug users in the Adelaide hills in 2004, and a new case has emerged this time in the US.

The syndrome is characterised by nausea, stomach pain and bouts of vomiting - ill effects which, oddly, sufferers say they get some relief from by taking a how shower or bath.

The new case, involving a 22-year-old man in Omaha, is published in the World Journal of Gastroenterology where doctors were also told to consider it when treating people with unexplained vomiting.

"Given the high prevalence of chronic cannabis abuse worldwide and the paucity of reports in the literature, clinicians need to be more attentive to the clinical features of this under-recognised condition," writes Dr Siva Sontineni, and colleagues, from the Creighton University Medical Centre.

In the US case, the sufferer had been smoking marijuana daily and in heavy doses for six years. This eventually led to bouts of vomiting lasting two to three hours daily, and this was worse after meals.

As with South Australian cases, the young man initially turned to "compulsive hot bathing behaviour" to relieve the symptoms but he was not cured until he gave up smoking cannabis altogether.

Adelaide-based drug expert and emergency ward doctor, Dr David Caldicott, said he had seen three cases of the illness and it was possibly also under-reported by sufferers.

"We're probably seeing the tip of the iceberg in the emergency departments, it's probably far more common but far milder (in the broader community)," he said.

Little was known about how cumulative cannabis use could lead to vomiting and, particularly, why sufferers would find some relief in hot bathing, Dr Caldicott also said.

"That's a distinct and unanimously recurrent feature of this condition, and we don't know why," he said.

"Grown men, screaming in pain, sweating profusely, vomiting every 30 seconds and demanding to be allowed to use the shower. It's a very dramatic presentation."

Dr Caldicott said the condition had been identified in a small number of cannabis users "but in the medical community it is now considered to be a real condition".

The National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre, based at the University of NSW, is taking a more conservative approach.

Centre director Jan Copeland said more cases would need to emerge before it could be considered a new syndrome linked to chronic cannabis use.

"It is not unusual for there to be significant mental and physical health complications with this level of cannabis use," Professor Copeland said.

For more information on cannabis, the centre has a free national helpline 1800 304050.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...81-421,00.html

*A Chemotherapy drug named Ondansetron will instantly stop vomiting. This medication is prescription only in Australia but is used in the accident and emergency departments of the hospitals. The brand name in Australia is Zofran.

Zofran is the real deal - but real deal expensive, too. If that doesn't stop you from vomitting, I don't know what will. I always had a ton of hand, gave them away once i quit oppies.

So let me get this right... this phenomenon is just emerging and only in South Australia? That's very odd.

So let me get this right... this phenomenon is just emerging and only in South Australia? That's very odd.

That article is a few years old now. Most stoners I talk too know of it to a degree now.

South Australia is notorious for good quality indoor weed and hardcore stoners.

Completely forgot about the cost of the Zofran. Thanks Chainer. It is not on our Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme so is very costly per dose. They sell it in as little as a 4 dose pack because of this.

weed has been scientificly proven to cure nausea. science>docters.

That's in the short term. This is a condition caused by smoking extreme amounts of Cannabis for long periods of time. Some Aussie smokers are known to smoke over 100 cones a day.

100 cones a day is probably a bit under what some of us Aussie stoners smoke daily. :\

Back when I was in the grips of cannabis addiction I was smoking 12g's+ a day through my billy.

I definitely suffered from Hyperemesis syndrome, and it is not fun at all.

100 cones a day is probably a bit under what some of us Aussie stoners smoke daily. :\

I'd like to hope so too. Over 100 cones a day is hardcore.

Hyperemesis sucks. How bad did your symptoms get? What did you do to treat it?

I obtained quite a bit of Zofran from ER visits, and i have vomited after taking zofran (iv and orally)

This hyperemesis is very interesting to me, i had a small discussion about it with one of the m.d at a hospital recently

"Vomiting that recurs in a cyclic pattern over months"

I have been experiencing this, along with being more prone to nausea after stopping cannabis.
everyday smoker for couple of years

Back when I was in the grips of cannabis addiction I was smoking 12g's+ a day through my billy.

This. After vomiting multiple times daily for two weeks straight, i had obviously become completely depleted and dehydrated leading to ER

Last edited:
Some anecdotal methods for reducing nausea.

*Take ginger tablets. Be careful not to throw them up as it will some of the worst pain you have ever experienced.

My brother got on Zofran for nausea. He was burned really bad and was on strong pain medicine. opiates of course. I guess the zofran worked really well for his nausea.

Hey DubNaut thanks for the reply. Good to see some users from other countries putting in some input to this.

I obtained quite a bit of Zofran from ER visits, and i have vomited after taking zofran (iv and orally)

So have I and it is a horrible experience. For most people the Ondansetron will instantly stop vomiting but the vomiting from Hypermesis is so extreme that it can over power IV Maxolon, IV Ondansetron and oral Ondansetron.

This hyperemesis is very interesting to me, i had a small discussion about it with one of the m.d at a hospital recently

"Vomiting that recurs in a cyclic pattern over months"

I have been experiencing this, along with being more prone to nausea after stopping cannabis.
everyday smoker for couple of years

This. After vomiting multiple times daily for two weeks straight, i had obviously become completely depleted and dehydrated leading to ER

The vomiting from some of the Hypermesis cases I have seen has been so extreme the patient has been rushed to hospital in an ambulance as they have completely dehydrated themselves in only 2 hours of vomiting.

Wtf is going on with this issue. I read a thread in this forum on it about a month ago or less. This is the Most Bizarree shit I have ever read. Does this only happen to super heavy smokers or what? That vomiting shit sounds No good at All.

Is this hyperemesis? I've thrown up twice from oversmoking, but it came and went quickly after vomiting. The first was my first 4/20, I packed a bowl of medical quality herb, packed it down, flattened a thick piece of bubble hash in a pancake on top, and topped the bowl off with a cm of kief. I puked before finishing the bowl in my 2 footer.

The other time I had eaten two whole hash oil edibles, each with 0.5g iso hash oil, and smoked quality herb on top, and I puked as the second one was being absorbed. My tolerance was high at the time.

From what I was told, it was because of too much THC flooding the brain, and the hypothalamus flips the vomiting switch on.

we depend on inert cannabinoids in our endocrine system for many reasons, we will each react a bit differently because of our own supply of these chems, after so long of smoking so much, it seems reasonable that what ever produces cannabinoids to help prevent what it does, as it does naturally, might decide to stop producing or be switched off being felt as useless by the body.

i have heard plenty about Oz and some Grow Hormones they have available, which are toxic.
that is rather notable, how a majority of cases internationally being from one spot...bull-she-it...anywhere you go though, peoples immune-systems and hormones etc are affected by their environment, THC and CBD help to moderate this - there must be something locally in that region which could be identifiable as common in areas where more cases show-up.

it isnt the weeed man - its the man and his land
there is no sense in chopping off the head of an issue,
only to leave the body of circumstance to lay&wait...

Ive had serious stomach problems that started a few years after chronic smoking.
I kept smoking because it helped me eat and to feel better.
But I realize every time I wake up I'm so nauseated the first thing I have to do is smoke to keep from throwing up.

Anyone know if stopping is pretty hellish like w/d would be, or is it just stomach cramps for a few days, and being completely bored.

Jesus, this thread it depressing. Why would anyone (and I really doubt the figure) want to smoke 100 joints a day. With pure joints that is at least 33 grams of weed and that is just if you are smoking small 0.3g small joints. That is just dumb and a colosol waste of weed. It is abuse not use, of weed. Sorry for the preaching... And if you are throwing up and you think it is from weed just cut down or stop.

Jesus, this thread it depressing. Why would anyone (and I really doubt the figure) want to smoke 100 joints a day.

It says 100 cones a day not 100 joints. Regardless of whether you believe me or not that figure is sadly true here. Aussie stoners are very dedicated.