• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opana vs. Oxycodone - Withdrawal

Chim721

Greenlighter
I recently weened off of oxycodone by switching to Opana. I went through 60mg Oxy withdrawal when the pills still had the magic. I can snort 60mg of Opana is 1 sitting and I'm only mildly high. I'm wondering, which withdrawal is worse? Has anyone been through both? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Oxymorphone is stronger than Oxycodone.. so you weened yourself onto a higher dose.
It might not seem like you're getting as high but you're definitely raising your tolerance.

So I'd say Oxymorphone w/d is gonna be a bit worse.
I'm on day 5 of cold turkey Oxy w/d (I needed ~90-120mgs to maintain) and its quite tough but you'll make it if you put your mind to it.. I was addicted for 2 years and just decided to clean up and the time has gone quite fast.

If you're going to go through withdrawals, just do it. Personally I find that people who are so horrified of withdrawal, arn't ready to stop opiates.

If you want to stop, and are going to go through withdrawals, just do it, get it done, and be done with it. People who try to avoid the worst withdrawals, I find just want to keep getting high, just my .02

I recently weened off of oxycodone by switching to Opana. I went through 60mg Oxy withdrawal when the pills still had the magic. I can snort 60mg of Opana is 1 sitting and I'm only mildly high. I'm wondering, which withdrawal is worse? Has anyone been through both? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Definitly opana, Im current not physically dependent on any drug but ive somehow retained most of my tolerance and i experience moderate w/d symptoms for about 8 hours the day after i do opana and i can do up to 90mgs of oxy(which would have me fully fucked up) and not feel anything but some minor cravings the day after

I would agree on Opana w/d being considerably harsher.
Personally I had very minor w/d issues with a daily Oxycodone habit.
When my source dried up & I was forced to switch to Oxymorphone it rapidly became a problem.
I used the intra-nasal route for my Oxymorphone, usually a nasal spray.
I found upon switching to Oxymorphone my tolerance skyrocketed quickly leading to a lack of euphoria without excessive doses.
I also found w/d's would hit me in a vastly shorter time frame with Oxymorphone than with Oxycodone.
Which I found odd considering Oxymorphone's longer half life.
Perhaps it was due to ROA as I took Oxycodone orally vs nasally for Oxymorphone but seeing as I was using IR Oxycodone it still seemed a little off.
As a matter of fact I ended up quitting cold turkey as I got so fed up with how quick & intensely w/d's would hit with Oxymorphone.

Also as BaybeX said Oxymorphone is a much more potent Opiate vs Oxycodone particularly if your using nasal admin.
IIRC Oxymorphone is 2x stronger than Oxcodone orally.
IIRC Oxymorphone has a 10% B/A orally vs 43% nasally.
Looking at those numbers 60mg of intra-nasal Oxymorphone is a whole fuck ton stronger than 60mg of Oxycodone orally.
Or if you were taking the Oxycodone nasally then it's an even bigger gap as oral Oxycodone has a higher B/A than nasal Oxycodone.
As such if you were doing intra-nasal Oxycodone then the jump to intra-nasal Oxymorphone is an even larger one.
So rather than weening down you instead drastically increased your opiate dependency / tolerance.

Anyways hope that information helps & a TLDR answer follows. :)

TLDR version; Basically I found Oxymorphone to have a lot more w/d related issues than I did with Oxycodone.

Opana withdrawal is much worse IMO because its much stronger. Your tolerance must be very high to blow 60mg's of oxymorphone with only mild effects. Oxymorphone is way stronger when inhaled than oxycodone.

Weening off oxycodone by using oxymorphone really makes no sense at all IMO.

In my personal experience, Opana is 10 times worse to w/d from that anything I have ever done. I have been on it ( 30 mg 3 times daily: thru the nose ) for 2 years. For the last year I would wake up at 3 in morning thrashing around with my sheets soaked, with the worst leg, body, and overall muscle pain from the w/d.

I am a former heroin addict, and as a pain patient years after that, I was being (overly) prescribed 3 80mg OxyContins, 8 30mg Oxycodone, plus any other stuff I could get my hands to relieve pain/feel good/get high what not, all IV. After my doc moved, and I had to see a different pain doc, He gave me Opana. Year into taking it orally I started snorting it. I have been on Bupe now for a week so the w/d is gone ( although I still crave that jelly-like glob of Opana in my nose)

Anyway, Yes, Opana is way stronger to w/d from IME. Its the only drug in ten years I have not been able to kick without aid from Suboxone. I am still in a lot of pain, but those hellish w/d are gone.

Use it as sparingly as you can.

Oxymorphone (Opana) is stronger, and therefore is going to have a more severe withdrawal.

I've gone thru withdrawal from both on their own, and oxymorphone was definitely worse.

If you're going to go through withdrawals, just do it. Personally I find that people who are so horrified of withdrawal, arn't ready to stop opiates.

If you want to stop, and are going to go through withdrawals, just do it, get it done, and be done with it. People who try to avoid the worst withdrawals, I find just want to keep getting high, just my .02

QFT

i find opana to get you higher per mg but ive noticed tolerance develops super quick and exponentially. I can do a twenty one day and the next have to do a 40 just to get same effects ive also felt serious withdrawl symptons HOURS after taking the opana even at high doses which has never happened bc of OC.

HELLO I AM NEW.... Can someone tell me how to help my daughter on law? She has admitted to shooting up oxyconyin for recreation. But I think she is addicted to hydrocodone. She has seen a doc that wants her to take methadone for 5 days then go on suboxone. But I am scared that she would just addict her to now methadone. Has anyone know if suboxone works? PLEASE she has a 2 y/o....THANK YOU for any help :)
anjel

Personally I find that people who are so horrified of withdrawal, arn't ready to stop opiates.

I'm horrified of withdrawal and the time when it came to me that I don't want to do opioids for some crazy euphoria from i.v. shots was long time ago. Anyway, I can't function properly without taking methadone for maintenance. All I care for is feeling alright. I don't care for high. Well, am I ready to stop opioids? No, I'm not. But the question is "will I ever be ready to stop opioids?". The answer is "no longer". At some point it's impossible (EDIT: I mean, you can get clean but you're never going to feel alright again).

HELLO I AM NEW.... Can someone tell me how to help my daughter on law? She has admitted to shooting up oxyconyin for recreation. But I think she is addicted to hydrocodone. She has seen a doc that wants her to take methadone for 5 days then go on suboxone. But I am scared that she would just addict her to now methadone. Has anyone know if suboxone works? PLEASE she has a 2 y/o....THANK YOU for any help :)
anjel

start yourself a new thread.