• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall and Tums

Snogasm

Bluelighter
I took two Tums before I took my adderall a few minutes ago, should this increase the metabloic absorption rate and if so by about what percentage? Thanks. quick answeres appreciated. plur

A basifying agent like sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is vastly superior to Tums for potentiating amphetamines. Plain old baking soda is my personal choice.

^How do you take the baking soda? I have tried a few things and they were no good.

I take a shotglass, pour in water, put in half a teaspoon of baking soda, watch it fizz, then down it. some people find this gross, but I think it actually tastes ok, especially if immediately followed by water or a gulp of soda. and very very effective for the amphetamines.

and yes, tums also work very well. I'm glad to see increasingly more users aware of this - a few years ago I would get the oddest looks when I tried to explain the mechanism.

As for percent of increased absorption; that depends on factors like your diet, blood pH and stomach pH normally, etc. amphetamine absorption can vary from 30-98%, so it's hard to say how 2 tums would change it and what your starting absorption was. I believe Lester and Grinspoon say in "Speed Culture" that it can increase it by several ten percent (ie. from 50% to 70% absorbed) but I may have read that somewhere else.

to decrease blood pH, try drinking a lot of water throughout your adderall use. plus, it staves off dejydration, which sneaks up on you (make sure your urine is clear all the time, basically).

Normally, around 30% of a dose of meth is excreted unchanged. This is highly variable and depends on urine pH. At a urine pH 5.5-6.0, elimination occurs predominantly through urinary excretion and approximately 60% of it leaves unchanged by the kidneys within 48 hours. At urine pH 7.5-8.0, elimination occurs mainly through deamination and less than 7% is unchanged in the urine. The half life is then 16-37hours.

(a summary of what is said in http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/pharm/pim178.htm)

RorerQuaalude714 said:
A basifying agent like sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is vastly superior to Tums for potentiating amphetamines. Plain old baking soda is my personal choice.

how about premixing a baking soda solution and your crushed up adderall, letting that stirr for a few hours. Will this defeat the relative rates of salt ionization?

Last edited:
How effective is using Tagamet compared to things like Tums or baking soda in terms of amp potentiation?

how about premixing a baking soda solution and your crushed up adderall, letting that stirr for a few hours. Will this defeat the relative rates of salt ionization?
sorry to bring back an old thread but i'm curious about this too. would this be more effective than just taking both separately?

also, i drink the baking soda a little before taking the adderall and right after i take it, but does it still help to drink more baking soda even a few hours after taking the adderall? also, is it dangerous to take too much baking soda?

Zraw, you only need a small amount of baking soda.

In my opinion, keep in mind, I have only tried this once, but antacids merely potentiate the negative effects of amphetamines, rather than the good ones. Other people support my claim.

I will probably try this again in the future, but I wasn't wowed by the results at all. I did this with Adderall, though, maybe Dexedrine is different. Being that, Dexedrine is the "smoother" of the two.

Zraw, you only need a small amount of baking soda.

In my opinion, keep in mind, I have only tried this once, but antacids merely potentiate the negative effects of amphetamines, rather than the good ones. Other people support my claim.

I will probably try this again in the future, but I wasn't wowed by the results at all. I did this with Adderall, though, maybe Dexedrine is different. Being that, Dexedrine is the "smoother" of the two.

wait really? i always take it when i take adderall because i heard that it makes the effects both longer and more intense. so it only makes a difference when you first take the adderall and not the whole time you're on it? if it's the xr version, would it make sense to drink some baking soda 4 hours after taking the pill, since that's when the second half of the pill dissolves? do you know what effects in particular it potentiates? thanks!

^ You misunderstood my post, a bit. Baking soda indeed potentiates Adderall, but in all the wrong ways, (It's just my experience). It does make it last longer, but it makes the nasty side effects more pronounced. Again, I only tried it once, but other people do support my claim. Nasty side effects, such as, nervousness, jitters, etc.

In regards to XR, I'm not familiar with it. I would think, after initially basifying the acid in your stomach, and the pill has absorbed, it would be pointless to take more of the Baking later on. This is only my conclusion with Adderall IR. XR, it may make some sense. Try it, what do you have to lose? Baking soda is harmless.

Experiment: Try Baking Soda before you dose your XR, and after the 4 hour wave, redose the Baking Soda, and let me know how it goes. GL

Just out of curiosity, if Tums can increase absorption of amphetamines can do the same for other drugs... like benzos? Like if I take some Tums with a bunch of xanax will it absorb more efficiently/quickly or whatever?

^ doesn't work like that. different drugs have different pathways into your bloodstream via. the stomach, so tagamet which might work for opiate pills doesnt work with d-amp in adderall. and likewise nor will the baking soda potentiate opiate pills

someone told me u gotta take the tums like 45 mins before u dose to get ur stomach where it needs to be to absorb it better.

Korn, you are correct, an hour before dosing is the best way to go. There are a ton of threads on this topc, though.

Antacid (tums) after amp dose?

Sry to bump an old post I utfse and seems like this thread is the best place to ask this question. I know someone already kinda danced around my question but: say I take 40mg ir. Then I take another 20mg 3hrs later. If 15-20 min after the last dose will eating 4-5 tums have any effect at all? I did redose again another 20mg approx an hr after last dose. Basically I'm not sure if a potentiator will have any effects after the dose. Again sorry for bumping a dead thread but couldn't find a better place so feel free to correct me or move it whichever if needed. Thx for any help!

Sry to bump an old post I utfse and seems like this thread is the best place to ask this question. I know someone already kinda danced around my question but: say I take 40mg ir. Then I take another 20mg 3hrs later. If 15-20 min after the last dose will eating 4-5 tums have any effect at all? I did redose again another 20mg approx an hr after last dose. Basically I'm not sure if a potentiator will have any effects after the dose. Again sorry for bumping a dead thread but couldn't find a better place so feel free to correct me or move it whichever if needed. Thx for any help!

I don't believe so. Adderall IR is metabolized quicker than Adderall XR, so you need to take the base before you take the Adderall IR.

Taking 60mg of Adderall IR in a day is quite a bunch, and I don't know how much you will gain out of a base before Adderall.

I appreciate you asked in a pre-existing thread though instead of starting a new one! :)

Tums is calcium carbonate, buddy. It's a base. That's the whole reason why it's used as an antacid--it reacts with HCl in your stomach, helping to raise the pH and ease heartburn resultin from too much acid in the stomach.

Capt. Thx for the quick and informative response I've stalked bluelight for a few months daily now and I knw you know what ur talking about. It perhaps would of helped (to understand why it seems like I'm taking huge doses lol) if I had mentioned they were the corapharm(sp?) cor 135 pink pills. Aka 20mg IR that are junk. I usually take xr. I took 4 20ir pinks in 6 hrs and it felt like a half assed 30mg lol. But I do think it may have stretched the duration a bit (probably because of the last 20mg dosed after the tums). But thanks again. Glad I didn't pay for the terrible cor irs. I'd cry lol.

Capt. Thx for the quick and informative response I've stalked bluelight for a few months daily now and I knw you know what ur talking about. It perhaps would of helped (to understand why it seems like I'm taking huge doses lol) if I had mentioned they were the corapharm(sp?) cor 135 pink pills. Aka 20mg IR that are junk. I usually take xr. I took 4 20ir pinks in 6 hrs and it felt like a half assed 30mg lol. But I do think it may have stretched the duration a bit (probably because of the last 20mg dosed after the tums). But thanks again. Glad I didn't pay for the terrible cor irs. I'd cry lol.

I'm not sure why you need to take that much. I get teva brand, and I hate XR's, can't stand them. If you like XR's that's probably why. IR's don't last as long. However, I have also noticed if you take two doses of IR, the effects last longer instead of a big dose all at once.

And, dosing IR twice is like taking 1 XR of an equivalent dosage.