• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Shooting Up - List of Best Injection Sites

Carl Landrover

Bluelighter
This might be better in Basic Drug Discussion, but I'll leave that for the mods to decide.

I know there are other similar threads, but is there just an easy list that lists the best veins to use and their location? I know this might be different for different people, but I need to rotate spots around more and I'm wondering where the best places to shoot are. I've never shot anywhere in my legs or hips, but have heard they're pretty easy to register in. I've shot in my foot once, and tried a few other times, but it's hard to register in there and is generally uncomfortable.

The two veins in the crook of my left elbow are 1 and 2 top spots for me. I've had my friend shoot me up in my wrist, but I can never seem to register there, on either wrist. The veins here are thin and small though and if my arm twists slightly from the belt then I'm much more apt to poke myself a bunch of times and not register.

I am so/so with shooting in my right arm. The veins are much smaller and I'm fairly uncoordinated with my left hand though my dexterity has gotten much better so I can do it a bit easier.

I've hit in my right bicep a few times before, but never in my left bicep (veins don't pop out as good in that one?). This is fairly awkward and it usually bruises up quite a bit.

I was under the impression that the hands were fairly difficult to hit, but the last few days I've been able to to shoot up in my left hand three times and my right hand once. This is kind of a pain though and can be kind of painful. Plus, I had a miss shot with a cotton shot and that was fairly painful, though missed shots are obviously unwanted regardless of where they are on your body.

----
Blehh so much easier when the two in the left elbow are good, but I have to give them a few days off.

i've heard from others that this is not a good idea, but i used to hit the vein on the inside/back of my knee joint on my leg. my vein there is huge and right near the surface. i did that when i couldn't hit my arms. i also did my hands a bit but i preferred not to have track marks there so i rarely ever did.

Medical professionals generally use, in order:
- the crook of the arm
- other parts of the arm
- the hands
- the legs (avoid groin, avoid deep veins close to arteries)
- the feet (feet are not ideal and can be painful)

I have had good experience with the inner legs (meaning the insides, not the backs, which can be more difficult and dangerous to hit), which a lot of people don't think of. I would highly recommend checking out some vein maps.

It's also really helpful to learn some tips to hit better, such as:
1. Use a fresh needle every time, meaning every single time the vein even punctures the skin (like if you try but can't hit a vein, switch the liquid into a new syringe and then try another vein).
2. Don’t just look, feel for a vein.
3. Use the "vacuum method" for registering.
4. Hold the vein taut. Apply pressure with your thumb/finger below the injection site to keep the vein from rolling.
5. Insert the needle at a shallow angle. The closer the needle approximates the actual angle of the vein, the easier it will be to land the tip inside the vein where you want it, instead of having it slide out of the vein or pierce through the vein.
6. If you are having trouble hitting a particular spot, know when to cut your losses, give up and try a new site.

Last edited:
A fairly general overlay of the best injection sites goes something like this:

Arms: The upper arm is the best place in which to inject--there are relatively few nerves there and the veins are large. Just the same, the veins tend to roll, so this must be taken into account.

Hands and Wrist: There are more nerve endings here and the veins tend to be smaller and more delicate and thus more prone to damage. On the positive side, they are easy to find and stable.

Legs: These veins are at greater risk of forming blood clots. Interrupting blood flow in the legs is particularly serious because these veins are the most important for bringing blood back to the heart.

Feet: These veins are even more delicate than those in the hands. There is also relatively poor circulation to the feet which means that damage done is repaired slowly. Special care should be taken to clean the feet if they are used for injection because of the possibility of infection.

Groin: The largest vein in this area--the femoral vein--is very close to the femoral artery. It is easy to miss the vein and hit the artery--causing the usual problems.

Neck: Just as in the groin, it is easy to miss a vein and hit an artery. Hitting the carotid artery is potentially fatal. Even apart from injecting into an artery, damaging the veins that go from the brain is very dangerous. The brain needs blood more than any other part of the body.

Like many people, I started out with the crooks of my elbows. Once those were exhausted, I moved up my bicep and down my wrist. Now I have a couple good spots left in my hands and feet, maybe one or two in my wrist.

i would sya the best/easiest places to IV are
1) the crook of the arm-
2) rhe hands -(but this poses the problem of beeing very visible, unless you ave that cream that makes track marks go away in 24 hours, we get it at then needle echanges here free, or i believe you can buy similar stuff in prmacies)
3) the wrists -(but be very carefull for arteries or other hings ( nerves and such i believe), it can also be a tiny bit more painfull than the above two also not all the veins in the wriss are small, there are at least 4 or 5 easy ones to it there ime
4) the feet its a hasle, not very easy to it if you're not flexible, its painfull, the rush is far less intense imo and if you miss you'll have very painfull day walking around

don't know about the bisceps, i've never found a veins here allthouh i kow people who have visible ones there (but it usullyit usually bruise for a couple of days, at least, at least this what alys happened to that particulr peson)
as for the femural, it provides a great rush from what i've heard but is placed very close to the femural artery, and as for the neck another i havn't tried, i'ts not easy, but not too hard to it if you're lookin in the mirror.... bu its extremely visible

if you use a new needle for every shot, an alcohol swab and you have the scarring cream, the veins in he crook of your arms can last ages, but however definately never shoot bupê, it will cause scar tissue and make your veins collapse/block up and render them completely unusable, and force you to move on to harder to hit veins

thats my advice from my experience, not scientifical evidence

Would really like to know witch vein in the calf(leg) area is the best and how to get it to pop out good, I'm in good shape but I can't find this hiden vein in my mid leg area that most people say they've used few times. Giving the arms a break not really from over use but I give my self daily shots for medical reasons anyway so I'm just shying away from to much scaring.

^Here's a picture:

venous_anatomy_lrg.jpg

You want to use the one shown in pink/red - the great saphenous vein, which is on the inside of the leg. But don't do it too close to the groin or too close to the ankle.

You can apply pressure with one hand or a couple fingers above where you want to hit it. It doesn't really need to "pop out" you can just learn to feel for it (or if you have light skin you may be able to see it looking blue through the skin). You can also apply a synthetic-latex tourniquet if you really feel you need to, but don't tie it too tight or leave it on too long. I recommend having a hot bath or shower, making sure the room is warm, and/or applying a hot wet cloth to get the veins to be more noticeable. Also make sure you are well-hydrated and well-nourished - that actually makes a big difference. Or some exercise can help, even just a few jumping jacks. And bright light. Once you find the vein it becomes a lot easier to find it in the future - you can try an inch up or down from where you last used successfully.

To avoid scarring, the number one thing is too make sure you always use a fresh syringe for every poke. If you have trouble hitting and have poked yourself once or twice without registering, transfer the liquid into a fresh syringe and start again. And try to rotate which spots you use.

Last edited:
inside of the ankle can be a good one, it puffs right out if you cut off circulation, but you can also poke your tendon and make it sore for a few days. stealthy if you have something to hide

^Yeah, I don't recommend anywhere around the ankle. There is more risk of hitting nerves and arteries and things, and the veins are more delicate so it can be more painful, cause inflammation, be easier to miss, or damage the veins more easily. I think there's more danger of a blood clot as well. Legs are just as stealthy as the ankle and an easier and safer bet IMO.

I would say the Arms and then the Hands. If I completely burned those out I think I would try to force myself to quit, as the other places are just too risky for me at this point.

For specific sites on the arm:

venabrach.jpg

1.The Basilic Vein/Cephalic Median Vein
*These are the easiest to hit in my oppinion, they are large and don't roll. They are also safer as there is a good ammount of tissue in the crook of the arm, so your less likely to catch an abscess should you accidentally miss.

2.Cephalic Vein (running up he arm from the wrist)
*This is a strong vein, the only issue is that it rolls like fucking crazy. However, if you can't learn how to hit rolling veins, then you might as well quit using drugs intravenously because the only ones that dont roll would be the ones listed above.

3.Median Antebrachial Vein
*Another decent vein. It's thinner than the first three I listed but it doesn't roll too much, and with a 29-30 gauge syringe, it's pretty easy to use.

For the Hands:

hand_veins_injectionc.jpg

1.The Cephalic Vein between the Index Finger and Thumb
*This was the first vein I could easily hit in my hand as its very easy to see if you stretch your fingers (including your thumb) out and hold your hand falt, palm facing the floor. When injecting into this vein, or really any vein in the hands, you really should use the smallest gauge syringe you can find. 30-31g are definately preferable. I also found that for this specific site, using a short tip 1/2cc hypodermic worked a lot better.

2.The Dorsal Venous Network (specifically the vein that runs down to the wrist between your last two fingers)
*This are is really quite easy to hit as well. The veins don't roll too bad, and it's easy to register/hit so long as you have a steady hand. It's important to make sure you register at least twice while you inject as the veins in the hand are much thinner than those in the arm, so the slightest slip of the hand can cause the needle to slip out of the vein.

The easiest veins for me to hit, personally are as follows:

1) The crooks of my elbows The veins are easy to hit, and they don't roll.
2) Hands Be careful, because the veins are very delicate and small, but they're also visible and easy to hit.
3) Feet These veins roll, and they're small and delicate, so be careful. They're visible and easy to hit, though.

Again, these are just the veins that are easiest for me to hit. I'm not saying that they're the best, or the safest veins.

Good luck!

Does anyone else use the vein on the back side of ur forearm??? Mine is huge, usually registers first try and has been rocking for like 3 years just switching between Arma but by the same vein. When ppl meet me and see me shoot for the first time most get upset how quick and easy it is for me even tho how often and how much I use them (ALOT)....

Hmm, no recollection of starting this thread. Where do you get saline? A pharmacy? Is there a reason that is better to use?

i would sya the best/easiest places to IV are
1) the crook of the arm-
2) rhe hands -(but this poses the problem of beeing very visible, unless you ave that cream that makes track marks go away in 24 hours, we get it at then needle echanges here free, or i believe you can buy similar stuff in prmacies)
3) the wrists -(but be very carefull for arteries or other hings ( nerves and such i believe), it can also be a tiny bit more painfull than the above two also not all the veins in the wriss are small, there are at least 4 or 5 easy ones to it there ime
4) the feet its a hasle, not very easy to it if you're not flexible, its painfull, the rush is far less intense imo and if you miss you'll have very painfull day walking around

don't know about the bisceps, i've never found a veins here allthouh i kow people who have visible ones there (but it usullyit usually bruise for a couple of days, at least, at least this what alys happened to that particulr peson)
as for the femural, it provides a great rush from what i've heard but is placed very close to the femural artery, and as for the neck another i havn't tried, i'ts not easy, but not too hard to it if you're lookin in the mirror.... bu its extremely visible

if you use a new needle for every shot, an alcohol swab and you have the scarring cream, the veins in he crook of your arms can last ages, but however definately never shoot bupê, it will cause scar tissue and make your veins collapse/block up and render them completely unusable, and force you to move on to harder to hit veins

thats my advice from my experience, not scientifical evidence
Man,that cream sounds AWESOME,i look like a pin cushion again,half misses cause my veins are fucked bad.I dont care anymore,never went femoral but would try if i didnt have a DVT on left leg cause Doc didnt give enough Bloodthinner after shattered knee and cast for 5months.SORRY FOR RAMBLING,PLEASE PLEASE WHAT IS IN THAT CREAM SO I CAN BUY IT HERE OR AT LEAST BRAND NAME!URGENT,PLEASE DONT IGNORE,I BEG YOU!WOULD BE A GODSENT!!!
Mo

I would say the Arms and then the Hands. If I completely burned those out I think I would try to force myself to quit, as the other places are just too risky for me at this point.

For specific sites on the arm:

venabrach.jpg

1.The Basilic Vein/Cephalic Median Vein
*These are the easiest to hit in my oppinion, they are large and don't roll. They are also safer as there is a good ammount of tissue in the crook of the arm, so your less likely to catch an abscess should you accidentally miss.

2.Cephalic Vein (running up he arm from the wrist)
*This is a strong vein, the only issue is that it rolls like fucking crazy. However, if you can't learn how to hit rolling veins, then you might as well quit using drugs intravenously because the only ones that dont roll would be the ones listed above.

3.Median Antebrachial Vein
*Another decent vein. It's thinner than the first three I listed but it doesn't roll too much, and with a 29-30 gauge syringe, it's pretty easy to use.

For the Hands:

hand_veins_injectionc.jpg

1.The Cephalic Vein between the Index Finger and Thumb
*This was the first vein I could easily hit in my hand as its very easy to see if you stretch your fingers (including your thumb) out and hold your hand falt, palm facing the floor. When injecting into this vein, or really any vein in the hands, you really should use the smallest gauge syringe you can find. 30-31g are definately preferable. I also found that for this specific site, using a short tip 1/2cc hypodermic worked a lot better.

2.The Dorsal Venous Network (specifically the vein that runs down to the wrist between your last two fingers)
*This are is really quite easy to hit as well. The veins don't roll too bad, and it's easy to register/hit so long as you have a steady hand. It's important to make sure you register at least twice while you inject as the veins in the hand are much thinner than those in the arm, so the slightest slip of the hand can cause the needle to slip out of the vein.

I have two large veins that run along my arm, if you look at it palm up, the veins are on the side opposite my thumb. They are more prevalent up my arm sorta close to my elbow... they go down the forearm about halfway from my elbow until I can't see them anymore. They are huge. I have seen a guy hit one of them on a documentary so that's how I found them and thought about practicing on them since if I fuck up, I want something that isn't the best to hit like my massive crook ones. They are on the side like pointing to my other arm. What ones are these? I think basilic. And median. Can someone please clarify and if they are easy to hit?

I have shot up twice so far, in the past two months. I normally sniff but get desperate sometimes. I am probably going to do it again so just want to know if these would be good "practice veins" because I'm not fucking with my elbow crooks anymore until/unless I have lots of practice (hope it doesn't come to that, but I need to know).

I have two large veins that run along my arm, if you look at it palm up, the veins are on the side opposite my thumb. They are more prevalent up my arm sorta close to my elbow... they go down the forearm about halfway from my elbow until I can't see them anymore. They are huge. I have seen a guy hit one of them on a documentary so that's how I found them and thought about practicing on them since if I fuck up, I want something that isn't the best to hit like my massive crook ones. They are on the side like pointing to my other arm. What ones are these? I think basilic. And median. Can someone please clarify and if they are easy to hit?

I have shot up twice so far, in the past two months. I normally sniff but get desperate sometimes. I am probably going to do it again so just want to know if these would be good "practice veins" because I'm not fucking with my elbow crooks anymore until/unless I have lots of practice (hope it doesn't come to that, but I need to know).

Veins differ a little bit from person to person but here is a diagram with the three most common pathways. As for the question is it easy to hit, that depends on a few variables. For instance I'm 6'5 270 and being "chunky" makes it more difficult to locate them.
If I remember correctly your into Yoga and in good shape so that def helps. As far as hitting the lower Basilic which is also known as the Ulnar vein, that depends on your flexibility and being able to rotate and pronate your arm simultaneously. I don't prefer it because it's difficult to see clearly and the needle is pointing away from you, if done correctly at least. I wont go into the other tips like showers & exercise as they are plentiful in the previous posts.

Good Luck..

Yeah before I had my injury which is the reason I tried heroin, chronic pain, I was an exercise maniac. A lot of my veins are easy to see but the problem I'm having is I will prep a perfect shot, make sure a little is dripping out - insert, and I am not registering blood even the I am directly over the vein and slowly pulling back as I enter.

I recognize the veins I mean immediately from the drawing. If you look at the middle drawing, the are the veins on the right side below the elbow that split into two separate pathways. Beside where it says medial cubicle vein (it's not that one though) - it looks like I am talking about the Basilic vein because it is pointing literally to the two veins I'm talking about in the picture. The guy in the documentary was pretty fit too, and he held his arm at a 90 degree angle palm facing him when he hit this basilica. It completely destroyed him with how high he got and I got thinking that maybe I'd try that vein because they are literally bulging out of my skin like, a lot of the way down my arm. Seems like an easy hit with a tourniquet.

Would those be good practice ones for me? If I go this route... like I need to know cause I've shot up twice already in the past month or two and tried a few times more (and failed miserably). However I won't fuck with my elbow crooks anymore until I know what I'm doing. So those veins I mentioned are quite prominent. I do 2 to 3 hours of yoga a day when I am using, and zero hours when I'm in withdrawal. I'm in good shape... muscular and toned. I am vegetarian and like to keep super hydrated so I think these things help. I think the last time I missed because I wasn't hydrated enough. I couldn't register even though I totally should have been able to.

Thanks for the lucky I definitely need it.