• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How strong can drug dogs smell?

ketamind

Bluelighter
I'm not asking this to try and circumvent any security measures, i'm just curious as to if a drug dog could smell.. say a quarter of heroin... inside a glass vial inside a bag inside of a pocket?

my aunt lived next to a guy who trained drug sniffing hounds for various branches of law enforcement. this was way out in the country, by lived next to i mean he was like a quarter mile away. anyways, i asked them about how dogs smell and he first stated that a well trained dog could smell a bag of cannabis inside a jar inside a metal oil drum (filled with oil) dropped into 20 feet of water. I think that was a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea. He also said that what makes them so good at smelling, is that their nose filters out information in a smiliar manner to how we do visually. When you are around a slice of pizza, you smell what you remember pizza smelling like. You see crust, cheese, sauce, pepperoni, green peppers, black widow spider eggs, all the typical toppings and such. You can get a good sense of where everything is located by looking at it, but you smell one big mass of food. A dog is the opposite, a dog just sees a triangle thing that it knows is pizza, but it can pick apart every single element in it with its nose and understand that the pizza is composed of many separate parts.

This is why dogs (and many other animals) are so adamant about sucking as much smell as they can from something they're interested in. A drug sniffing dog smells your jeans, the sweat from you in your jeans, hell it can smell the very dyes in your clothes, all the places you have been, the piece of gum stuck to your shoe, the soap that was on your hands that got transferred to your shoelaces when you tied them, the plastic bag holding ur shit, the grease from the AMERICAN-fries that were on your hands when you sealed the bag up... its conditioned to bark like a wild maniac the moment it smells what you have inside that bag.

Now he did tell me that the dog will only bark when its commanded to search for something specific. He said a cop just standing with a dog most likely wont bark at you if you have some contraband unless the cop orders it to sniff specifically for [weed...cocaine...etc]. I wouldn't risk that tho if I personally knew I was going to be in a situation where I would be confronted by a drug sniffing dog. Also drug sniffing dogs are not often trained as bomb sniffing dogs, and the other way around.

But basically, if a dog is commanded to sniff for something and you have it anyplace on you, and its trained well, you cant hide from it.

THE WOOD said:
You see crust, cheese, sauce, pepperoni, green peppers, black widow spider eggs, all the typical toppings and such.

WTF?

ketamind said:
I'm not asking this to try and circumvent any security measures, i'm just curious as to if a drug dog could smell.. say a quarter of heroin... inside a glass vial inside a bag inside of a pocket?

If you are thinking of taking heroin through an airport, just don't.

yeah pharmys are much easyier and you dont have to worry about the smell..... i had to go to a very close relatives wedding in cuba back when i had a quite a habit.....i tried to ration and taper my use for the year coming up to the wedding but i never did have much self controll.....i brang only enough to starve off withdrawls and i was still slightly sick when i was there..... I would not want to spend another vacation like that..

It is also true that dogs are not robots and have good days and bad days. I've seen it said by police that the dogs are, on average, only 50% effective.

do u mean a quarter gram or heroin, or a quarter ounce? a quarter gram in a vial that was really well hidden i think you might be able to avoid detection. either way, its not worth it. some counstires would put you in front of a firing squad for trying to smuggle heroin.

Drug sniffing dogs aren't trained to bark when they detect drugs. They're trained to sit down next to where they detect them. I mean, they could be trained to bark or do anything else, but I've never seen anything other than just sitting down. Chances are they'll detect it even if it's sealed airtight. I'm sure there are ways to get around it, but this isn't the place to be discussing them.

phrozen said:
Drug sniffing dogs aren't trained to bark when they detect drugs. They're trained to sit down next to where they detect them. I mean, they could be trained to bark or do anything else, but I've never seen anything other than just sitting down. Chances are they'll detect it even if it's sealed airtight. I'm sure there are ways to get around it, but this isn't the place to be discussing them.

Drug dogs are typically trained to bark and paw at areas of interest.

no phrozen is right. they are trained to sit down. yea im sure some are trained to bark or whatever but most of them are trained to sit when they detect something. my friends parents work for the FBI training dogs to smell bombs and drugs. they used to have 2 golden retrivers that were used to sniff out drugs. if i came in with weed on my person, the one dog would always come and sit right in front of me. there were a few times when my friend got caught by her parents because the dogs would always find her stash and mess with it

Last edited:
I was watching a doc on sniffer dogs that were being trained and it was pretty amazing.

They said their sense of smell is so strong that if we had it we'd be able to smell food on a plate that had been left outside for two weeks.

They also did this test where a guy went and watched a baseball game in a stadium with several thousand other people. The next day, after it had been raining all night, they gave a sniffer dog his scent and he ran right to the specific seat that the guy had been sitting in. Great stuff.

THE WOOD said:
You see crust, cheese, sauce, pepperoni, green peppers, black widow spider eggs, all the typical toppings and such.

Black widow spider eggs, fuckng hilarious

"Those dogs can smell anything, that's why you gotta kick 'em in the throat! "
- Err of the Mooninites

OverDriven said:
Drug dogs are typically trained to bark and paw at areas of interest.

They could be trained to lick their ass when they smell drugs. But I've never seen a dog, in real life or on tv, be trained to do anything other than sit.

Also, trainers know to look for any type of change in the dogs behavior when they're sniffing around. That'll clue them in to concentrate on a specific area.

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter what in or how that you try to conceal your drugs, coke for example whether it be in coffee grounds, bounce fabric softner, etc., there will always be some residue transfered from the product to the packaging. Any minute amount can and most likely will be detected by a well trained dog. There are reports of cadaver sniffing dogs that have found bodies buried underwater in lakes and ponds, probably due to body scents leaching out into the water, I'm not sure though as to how. Pablo

Last edited:
What drugs are they trained to detect? I mean, I suspect that hydromorphone would smell different (that ketone group) or the fentanyls or even the benzimidazole analgesics (Etonitazine).

They can smell SERIOUSLY well, but they are certainly not infallible. A combination of sealing off the drugs effectively and masking the scent with other overpowering smells can confuse them.

I certainly wouldn't want to test that theory out though, stay away from them at all costs if you're holding.

haribo, im pretty sure as far as opiates go its probably heroin and maybe like opium or something. i wouldnt think most drug dogs are trained to sniff out pharmies. if they were a lot of ppl would have shitty vacations lol

^Thats what I thought. I mean, you could take an awful lot of fentanyl (like 2-3g) and it would last a LOONNNGG time, even if you had a big habit.