• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why do opiates dehydrate you?

Sturnam

Bluelighter
Assuming you're not puking or having shitting yourself, why do they cause dehydration? Would it be related to the histamine release, and that's maybe why hydrocodone and codeine (for me at least) tend to dehydrate you more?

Because they activate the parasympathetic nervous system (one of the two peripheral nervous systems - central nervous system = brain and spinal chord, peripheral = all other nerves), sort of like Datura and related drugs (in this regard). It is also because of parasympathetic activation that your pupils constrict and you experience constipation.

Although histamine-release could have a complementary effect, I don't know about this one.

he mixing up dopemine with serotonine which is thought to deal with body temp control....dopemine is more for shit like motor activity, cognition, sleep, ect

^Antihistamines tend to have a dehydrating effect on me, but the way they regulate bowel movements is by inhibiting smooth muscle contractions and increasing water uptake in the cells of the colon and intestines. These effects would likely cause dehydration.

oldfartyoungathart said:
he mixing up dopemine with serotonine which is thought to deal with body temp control....dopemine is more for shit like motor activity, cognition, sleep, ect

No i'm not. They're spelled dopamine and serotonin btw. Whenever I ingest levodopa (precursor to dopamine), it makes me a little dehydrated. It's a typical effect of many stimulants.

Tsukasa said:
No i'm not. They're spelled dopamine and serotonin btw. Whenever I ingest levodopa (precursor to dopamine), it makes me a little dehydrated. It's a typical effect of many stimulants.
Yes but that is not due to Dopamine, it is due to epinephrine (Adrenalin).

Most of your L-dopa dose gets converted into DA in your blood, before it crosses your BBB. That DA will then degrade into Epinephrine, which causes all the toxic peripheral effects of L-Dopa as it circulates in your bloodstream and activate your peripheral nervous systems.

Word of advice: stop taking L-Dopa unless you have parkinson's or at least know how to stop its conversion in the blood. Otherwise you are poisoning yourself.

^ Dopamine doesn't convert directly to epinephrine. Norepinephrine does. I take it with EGCG (natural decarboxylase inhibitor). So yea, hardly any of the dopamine turns into norepinephrine. I don't feel any sort of adrenergic effect.

Last edited:
Yes, DA needs to turn into NE before turning into Norepinephrine. I just didn't think this little detail was needed in BDD forum.

Its good that you're taking a decarboxylase inhibitor.

Still, I have my doubts that DA directly causes dehydration. Can you post any references?