• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Effects of Adderall combined with Adrafinil/Modafinil?

Scarletta

Bluelighter
Hi, I'm asking someone who would know, what is the experience taking Adderall with Modafinil or Adrafinil (sp)? Would the two drugs synergize each other, so that I would take less of my currently prescribed Adderall and still have good effects? Or would the Modafinil/Adr. cancel out the Adderall? I've searched on here and can't find anything specific about this.

I am prescribed 60 mg Adderall IR a day for adult ADD and also chronic fatigue. I would like to lower my dose if I could get an effective result, but right now that is not an option.

I've heard of using Selegeline to allow one to reduce their Adderall dose, but am afraid of that interaction. Unless anyone could tell me if that is really not all that dangerous after all.

Thanks!

Provigil + amphetamine = Additive CNS stimulation...

Mixing selegine and amphetamine gets tricky...

So the additive CNS stimulation doesn't mean that the amphetamine's benefits or good feelings are increased necessarily, correct? Is it more like the bothersome effects such as jitteriness, anxiety, rapid heartbeak, etc could be accentuated?

i used to date a girl who researched modafinil so i had an unlimited supply, i was also prescribed adderal at that time, there is no special synergy but i would imagine you could knock 20mg/day off your adderal dose if you substituted in 100mg of modafinil.

here is the trick....dont waste your adderal in the morning using it to get out of bed, use the modafinil for that - like a cup of coffee. then later in the day when your able to focus properly begin taking the adderal

Since modafinil is an inhibitor of the catecholamine transporters (DAT and NET), taking too high a dose actually may attenuate the effects of the amphetamines, as they will be displaced from the transporters and thus will not be able to enter presynaptic neurons...and we wouldn't want that.

As mentioned above, stick with a ~100mg dose of modafinil to synergize nicely with dextroamphetamine. Sometimes I take 100mg of modafinil with 45mg of Dexedrine, instead of my usual daily 60mg of Dex XR. As for the peripheral/central effect question: the addition of modafinil at low doses never causes annoying peripheral tweakiness. But, I must note that I never experience any negative side effects with Dexedrine to begin with, pretty much only cognitive benefits. Adderall, on the other hand, is a more effective stimulating agent, with more potent "energizing" and peripheral tweaky effects, so I don't know how this would work out.

Last edited:
Since modafinil is an inhibitor of the catecholamine transporters (DAT and NET), taking too high a dose actually may attenuate the effects of the amphetamines, as they will be displaced from the transporters and thus will not be able to enter presynaptic neurons...and we wouldn't want that.

As mentioned above, stick with a ~100mg dose of modafinil to synergize nicely with dextroamphetamine.

Funny you mention that - cause I was going to post my experience mixing a 200mg modafinil tablet with dexedrine (tried it a couple of times) - its like they cancelled each other out and I ended up going to sleep both times. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not.. but this was when I was pretty "hooked" on the dex and when I didn't have amphetamines i'd be asleep anyway.

I don't have any experience regarding this combo, but I saw that your on 60mg IR!? Holy shit. I know people on 60mg XR and are fine with 30mg IR.

60 Mg IR is not unusual at all. I've had this same dose for about 3 yrs. Lucky me I guess.

I've been on the same dose of 60mg of Dexedrine XR for many, many years. Never experienced any significant tolerance either. So it's not that strange.

Hamhurricane or anyone else, does Adrafinil work as well as Modafinil? I have a bunch of Adrafinil but have not used it. Modafinil is way more expensive. If it is almost as good, would you recommend taking it first thing in the morning instead of my adderall dose and then take 40 mg Adderall in the afternoon? This would be 20 mg less than my normal prescribed dose.

And you have not found the modafinil to cancel out the effects of Adderall? Does timing have anything to do with it?

As someone else said above, the effects of modafinil seems to cancel out Dexedrine but that person took it at the same time?

Oh, I see on Wikipedia that Adrafinil has a half life of only 1 hour, whereas Modafinil has a half-life of 10-12 hours. So if I took Adrafinil in the morning it would wear off in 2 hours at the most.

Adrafinil only has a half-life of 1-2 hrs because it is simply a pro-drug of modafinil--it is N-hydroxy-modafinil. So the hydoxyl moiety is cleaved off, forming modafinil in vivo, the modafinil then has its normal 10 hour half-life.

And I don't think that low doses entirely cancel out amphetamine, I was only speaking about higher-spectrum doses (above 200mg). When I take 100mg or so, I certainly still notice my dextroamphetamine, I just feel a little more awake.

I took this combination daily for a number of months/still do from time to time. Generally speaking 30/mg XR + 250 mg of Modafinil was the dosage. The modafinil works well as a basic stimulant to keep you awake. In combination with Adderall, Modafinil seems to take off some of the tweaky factor/creepy anxiety it can produce. But as has been said there is no synergy of note. For chronic fatigue the Modafinil may be useful for you.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

I must say that I tried the Adrafinil that I had laying around, just alone, and I didn't feel anything. Like a sugar pill. I took 3 of the 300 mg tabs at once. I highly doubt they're going to reduce my Adderall intake.

Perhaps I should order the Modafinil online. It's pricey but I don't think my insurance would cover it anyway. Or maybe talk to my doctor about it.

Well, modafinil does really live up to its billing as an atypical stimulant. As an atypical DAT ligand, it is not going to feel amphetaminergic, or even like a typical DAT blocker like cocaine or methylphenidate. It is very subtle and it takes a long time to come up...adrafinil is even slower (and more subtle). If it helps your decision to eventually try modafinil, I found modafinil suprisingly more potent than adrafinil. I have a feeling that there is a ceiling to the amount of adrafinil that the body can rapidly convert to modafinil and that there other significant metabolites that are inactive.

Added: Why did you want to lower your Adderall dose? If 60mg works well, then it works well, take it daily but do not exceed it (for tolerance sake it is better to take a moderate consistent dose than a high dose inconsistently) and you should be cool. Throw in a dash of modafinil here and there at times when you haven't slept much, it is great for ameilorating the nasties of sleep deprivation.

Last edited:
Can I ask you, Riemann Zeta, are you prescribed modafinil? And do you take it along with another stimulant/ADD med? Thanks!

Yes, I have taken modafinil (like 100mg, maybe 200mg tops) along with Dexedrine XR--I only take the modafinil infrequently on what I guess you could call a PRN basis.

I am not sure about the dexedrine/selegiline-combo specifics, but I can tell you that I've combined methamphetamine and selegiline (5mg) for a couple of weeks without noticing any negative effects. In fact the combination helped a great deal reduce the peripheral effect of meth (tachycardia, HTN), I remember reading a paper mentioning that also. As far as the CNS effect, selegiline + meth seemed to be more or less neutral. Paradoxically the opposite happened (increased CNS stimulation, somewhat increased euphoria) when I combined selegiline + ephedrine (50-75mg).

PS: found the paper in question "Reduced cardiovascular effects of methamphetamine following treatment with selegiline"... let me know if you want full text.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T63-497HFW2-2&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=e399b049712ba284c6f4d1347d3e4db0

Last edited: