PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD chromosome damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

markosheehan

Bluelighter
I have read recently that at high concentrations of LSD produced chromosome damage and was mutagenic. So it's a weakly mutagenic. Does that mean at the concentration people take it at it would do slight damage or what about for people who take it a lot.

no, that was a disproven theory.
LSD doesn't cause chromosome damage :)

i could find a better article if i looked a little harder, but this is just a quick summation from wikipedia, Urban legends about drugs page

Beginning in 1967, studies raised concerns that LSD might produce genetic damage[19] or developmental abnormalities in fetuses. However, these initial reports were based on in vitro studies or were poorly controlled and have not been substantiated. In studies of chromosomal changes in human users and in monkeys, the balance of evidence suggests no increase in chromosomal damage. For example, white blood cells of people who had been given LSD in a clinical setting were examined for visible chromosomal abnormalities; overall, there appeared to be no lasting changes.[19] Several studies have been conducted using illicit LSD users and provide a less clear picture. Interpretation of this data is generally complicated by factors such as the unknown chemical composition of street LSD, concurrent use of other psychoactive drugs, and diseases such as hepatitis in the sampled populations. It seems possible that the small number of genetic abnormalities reported in users of street LSD is either coincidental or related to factors other than a toxic effect of pure LSD.[19] A 2008 medical review concluded, "The available data suggest that pure LSD does not cause chromosomal abnormalities, spontaneous abortions, or congenital malformations."[20] However, this refutation has not stopped this perennial legend from being told, nor has it stopped the jokes about such "mutations" allegedly messing up the children of the Baby Boomers.

Basically, LSD is one of the most physically non-toxic drugs around :)

Oh markosheehan...

Like spacejunk said, it was disproved many decades ago, and was simply a rumor circulated by people scared of LSD's power to alter thought patterns.

No, it was a disproven theory. That link is to a 1968 study, it has since been disproven.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4994465

This says how there is damage done from 2000-10000 micrograms and how LSD is a weak mutagen. Why could i not say than (i will take the average) the damage done from taking LSD 150/6000 of severe damage for a 150 microgram trip. It could be more dangerous if taken regularly. No one will agree with what i just said so please explain why

This damage, with one exception, was the result of concentrations of drug and durations of exposure which could not be achieved in humans with reasonable dosages.

The absence in vitro of excretory and detoxifying systems present in vivo, as well as several negative reports, cast doubt on the relevance of in vitro results.

From our own work and from a review of the literature, we believe that pure LSD ingested in moderate doses does not damage chromosomes in vivo, does not cause detectable genetic damage, and is not a teratogen or a carcinogen in man. Within these bounds, therefore, we suggest that, other than during pregnancy, there is no present contraindication to the continued controlled experimental use of pure LSD.

From the article you just linked. I worry that you're a hypochondriac marko, it must be very stressful being you.

The damage detected at high doses seems severe and easily detected. Using logic it seems to do the damage of the dosage all over the detected damage dosage. For people who take it a lot it would be more dangerous. 150/6000 is 1/40 the damage . This seems pretty high considering the damage is severe at higher doses

I think I have the reputation in this forum of being uber cautious but frankly speaking the evidence is not there in this case.

If you are pregnant things might be different and the results applicable. This leads to the sensible advice to refrain from any drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

If I remember correctly there was the same myths about mescaline. They were qualified by looking at the DNA of native Americans who ingest mescaline since centuries.

well theres clear damage there with alcohol/smoke. i think its bad due to changes in the concentrations of hormones in the mother which have bigger affects on the foetus. most psychoactive drugs change hormone levels to some degree i think. if you go on the pharmacolgy of most drugs you can see the changes

The damage detected at high doses seems severe and easily detected. Using logic it seems to do the damage of the dosage all over the detected damage dosage. For people who take it a lot it would be more dangerous. 150/6000 is 1/40 the damage . This seems pretty high considering the damage is severe at higher doses

This is not how genetic damage works.

based upon the false data, anything that looks like logic is false logic, and the strong connection to this thread idea is just unfortunate obsession

What do you mean false data, at high concentrations in vitro there was damage​ done. If You do not agree with that you need to look at yourself and ask yourself why you look at LSD this way and not look at me. Thanks for your helpful comment which is what this site is all about.

Markosheehan. I'm not saying this to be rude, but to help you - You are a hypocondriac, and you should either seek help for your anxiety, or just don't take any drugs. Anxious people like you, are exactly the kind of people who shouldn't do psychedelics. I'm not just basing concluding that on this thread, but also all your other neurotic threads about mushrooms. Best wishes <3

Beginning in 1967, studies raised concerns that LSD might produce genetic damage[19] or developmental abnormalities in fetuses. However, these initial reports were based on in vitro studies or were poorly controlled and have not been substantiated. In studies of chromosomal changes in human users and in monkeys, the balance of evidence suggests no increase in chromosomal damage. For example, white blood cells of people who had been given LSD in a clinical setting were examined for visible chromosomal abnormalities; overall, there appeared to be no lasting changes.[19] Several studies have been conducted using illicit LSD users and provide a less clear picture. Interpretation of this data is generally complicated by factors such as the unknown chemical composition of street LSD, concurrent use of other psychoactive drugs, and diseases such as hepatitis in the sampled populations. It seems possible that the small number of genetic abnormalities reported in users of street LSD is either coincidental or related to factors other than a toxic effect of pure LSD.[19] A 2008 medical review concluded, "The available data suggest that pure LSD does not cause chromosomal abnormalities, spontaneous abortions, or congenital malformations."[20] However, this refutation has not stopped this perennial legend from being told, nor has it stopped the jokes about such "mutations" allegedly messing up the children of the Baby Boomers.

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_legends_about_drugs#LSD_causes_genetic_mutations

Status
Not open for further replies.