• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Plugging (rectal) doxylamine (unisom) for insomnia?

enoughorangejuice?

Bluelighter
Anyone know the bioavailabilities of doxylamine? Specifically... orally, rectally, intranasally, etc. I am having terrible insomnia and do not want to insuffilate anything and am hoping plugging doxy will achieve a similarly high BA as intranasal does.

From what I've heard on here... oral is around 20-25% and nasal is around 70% i'd assume plugging would be even higher...maybe 80-90%? anyone know and is there any safety issues with plugging a low dose (< 5mg) of this antihistamine?

Is it possible to make a solution of h2o and doxy and use it intranasally as a liquid to avoid any potential damage to the nasal lining and lungs from insuffilating powders?

you low on unisom pills? in this case, you might want to just swallow more.

i have a lot...and that's not the problem...swallowing takes too long for the drowsiness to hit (30-40 minutes)... i'm looking for a very quick (under 5 mins) sedation similar to insuffilation...is there any danger in plugging 2-5mg of doxylamine? i know plugging can offer a much faster onset in the action of a lot of drugs...

For anyone who stumbles across this, anecdata:

Averaged estimates.
Very experienced with therapeutic doses of doxylamine although I don't use it frequently so I don't consider myself to have much of a tolerance.
Very experienced with rectal administration/the drug isn't getting lost anywhere.
I've experimented with the doses; these get me to comparable levels, although the specific effects vary.
Nasal administration via filtered liquid solution.

Oral
Dose (standard to one 25mg pill, oral): 25mg
Duration to peak: 1.5h
Duration: 14h
Effects: Strong anticholinergic, most physically sedating, best quality sleep. Significant delay if taken with food.
Hangover: Moderate

Nasal
Dose (standard to one 25mg pill, oral): 8mg
Duration to peak: 0.5h
Duration: 8h
Effects: Nearly matches oral in terms of efficacy with less cloudiness the next day. Irritating to nasal mucosa. Less allergy-related effects.
Hangover: Minimal

Rectal
Dose (standard to one 25mg pill, oral): 15mg
Duration to peak: 0.75h
Duration: 6h
Effects: Induces drowsiness with significantly less physical sedation. Doesn't keep me asleep as well (although this usually isn't a problem for me).
Hangover: Minimal

Does this sound like varying levels of absorption? Part of me wants to believe plugging is always more effective than insufflation.

i have a lot...and that's not the problem...swallowing takes too long for the drowsiness to hit (30-40 minutes)... i'm looking for a very quick (under 5 mins) sedation similar to insuffilation...is there any danger in plugging 2-5mg of doxylamine? i know plugging can offer a much faster onset in the action of a lot of drugs...

Why do you want such a quick onset of sedation? The problem with plugging is that the effects will wear off quicker, leaving you not enough sedation for a full, 8 hours of sleep. I find that a decent dose of Doxylamine (12.5mg for me) taken orally lets me sleep for 7-8 hours with no lingering hangover. I think the duration of effects is perfect as it is.

I have thought about plugging LSD for the same reasons as you are thinking, however. I think it will take on more of a psilocybin duration (6 hours or so) when LSD is plugged, not sure how to dissolve a blotter properly, though.