• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Temazepam for my dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbal~Jah

Ex-Bluelighter
Hey I was just curious if it is okay to give a dog Temazepam (aka Restoril)? I know vets use valium and sometimes xanax on dogs and I have given him both xanax and valium with no complications.. So does anyone know if it is okay to give a dog Temazepam? ( I know the right dosages and everything, I am not some stupid kid trying to get his dog high) This is strictly for his pain/anxiety when he's shaking him pain due to kidney stones and starts crying (whimpering), and I only give him 0.25-0.5mgs of alprazolam to help him relax and get a good sleep... Also It's not like I am giving him a benzo everyday, its like maybe once every 2 months and I only give it to him when hes not doing very well..... I should of named this "Xanax for my dog?"

(I only gave him temazepam one time at 10mg dosage)

Also I found this on a website so I know vets do prescribe xanax to dogs:

Using Xanax for Dogs With Anxiety Disorders <<---link to info about dogs and Xanax.
"The typical Xanax dosage for dogs is 0.01 to 0.05 mg per pound, administered orally every 12 hours."

Read more:

PS - Oh and by the way does anyone know of anything you can give to dogs to help their stomachs/colons? Cause my dog (Mr. Biggle Puff) get tummy aches every once in awhile but I don't know what to give him.... the only think I can think of is maybe Benadryl? If i had promethazine I wonder if that would work? any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Dear lord. I just Googled to see what I could come up with on the veterinary use of temazepam in animals other than horses and came across someone's dissertation on this.

From what I can find, temazepam is used primarily in combination with anaesthetic agents in canines and benzos in general often cause excitability in healthy animals.

I am pretty sure BL doesn't allow, or urges against, asking about administering drugs to animals...

Well, I only gave him about 5 - 10mgs of temazepam and he is doing just fine. I wanted to make sure there was no allergic reaction.. so it is safe.

Speak to a veterinarian first!! NEVER just randomly give your dog/pet drugs.

Also that link to a yahoo answer is wrong in saying that "temazepam is just a 'hypnotic' benzo and no good for anxiety and that valium is an 'anxiolytic' benzo and no good for insomnia". ALL benzos have hypnotic/sedative, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, muscle relaxant and amnesic actions/properties. Just some benzos are stronger in their hypnotic effect and may be weak in their muscle relaxant effect or anxiolytic effect, while other benzos may have a strong anxiolytic effect with less of a hypnotic effect. But all benzos have these effects to some degree.

How can you say "it is safe"? Animals (dogs) can metabolize certain chemicals very differently to how a human would (something safe to us could kill a dog, or even a certain breed of dog). Which is where it get's complicated which is why veterinarians exist. Never assume, and treat your dog like a guinea pig. Ask an expert.

Last edited:
benzos DO generally cause excitability in animals.

give 2mg of xanax to a dog and see if he bites you. seriously. it will not calm them down.

Strange that this would come up, because last night I saw someone give a pit a .5 klonopin. It seemed to calm her down, and she seemed to enjoy it. But when I was playing with her (we play pretty rough) she got unusually agressive.

before putting your dog on powerfull psycotropic medications, maybe he/she AND you should all go see a psychiatrist together...

Why are you giving your dog random benzos? Xanax, Valium and now Temazepam. Just curious.

benzos DO generally cause excitability in animals.

give 2mg of xanax to a dog and see if he bites you. seriously. it will not calm them down.

In all animals? Vets semi-commonly prescribe xanax to dogs. I've also seen dogs who were on xanax that they were given from their prescription. They seemed pretty chilled out. That dog's prescription was actually for 2 mg xanax, and that dog never once bit anyone. Always seemed to enjoy it in fact. It was prescribed them because it became extremly agitated during thunderstorms.

Question still remains, why are you giving the dog benzos? Who cares if vets prescribe them, why are YOU administrating them?

Status
Not open for further replies.