• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall to Desoxyn Equivalent Dosage???

daddysgone

Bluelighter
Ive done searches both here on BL and on google and oddly I cant seem to find an answer to this.
Does anyone have an approximate equivalent dosage between adderall and desoxyn?

For instance, if one were to normally take 40mg of adderall IR, what would be a similar dosage for desoxyn?

I know that desoxyn behaves differently from adderall in that there are far less PNS effects and a greater dopamine release, but if someone could provide an estimation of what an equivalent dose of desoxyn would be for about 40mg of adderall, that would be great. Thanks-DG

EDIT: Also, I have heard mixed reports regarding the effectiveness of snorting desoxyn. Some have said that very little is absorbed when snorting desoxyn and so alot is wasted. Other people seem to swear by snorting the stuff. Anyone know for sure about this?

Last edited:
I was prescribed 20mg Desoxyn a day for around 2.5 years, and I was switched to it from 35mg of Dexedrine a day and still found the Desoxyn a bit stronger. 35mg of Dexedrine is equipotent to probably 40-45mg of Adderall, so that's a rough number for you. It's hard to make a direct comparison, though, because the feeling between the two (d,-amp vs. d,-methamp) is quite different.

Edit: Some people I know like to snort Desoxyn and found it effective, although I only ever used it orally or IV (which, contrary to what you might hear, IS effective)

Its kind of a waste of the desoxyn, its subtle and needs to be dosed moderate-high...

The comedown will be worse...

Desoxyn has the benefit of lasting a lot longer than other pharmaceutical amphetamines such as Adderall or Dexedrine, despite it only being available in 5mg instant-release tablets. I took 10mg (2x5mg) in the morning and the same dose in the afternoon, but my morning dose didn't wear off for around 8 hours, so I wouldn't even start to be coming down before I took my afternoon dose (I took my AM dose around 9AM and re-dosed around 3PM).

To give some perspective, because it is different for everyone, here's a list of the other amphetamines I've been prescribed, the dose, and how long it lasted.
Desoxyn (d,-methamphetamine): 10mg (2x5mg tabs) 7-8 hours
Dexedrine Spansules (d,-amphetamine ER): 15mg (1x15mg capsules) 6-8 hours
Dexedrine IR (d,-amphetamine): 10mg (1x10mg tabs) 4-5 hours
Adderall XR (racemic amphetamine ER): 20mg (1x20mg capsules) 9-10 hours
Adderall IR (racemic amphetamine): 20mg (1x20mg tabs) 4-5 hours
Ritalin (methylphenidate): 20mg (1x20mg tabs) 5 hours
Ritalin LA (methylphenidate ER): 20mg (1x20mg tabs) 8-10 hours
Concerta (methylphenidate ER): 54mg (1x54mg tabs) 10-12 hours

Desoxyn can easily last "too long" if dosed too late in the day, and while it doesn't give the same physical "tweaky" effects caused by racemic amphetamine, methylphenidate, and, to a degree, dextroamphetamine, it will still keep you up for a long while.

Wow, sorry to ramble on so much. Hopefully this helped answer your questions, and if you have any more regarding Desoxyn or other ADD medications, feel free to ask and I should be able to help.

I wonder how potent d-meth truly is as a serotonergic neurotoxin when taken in daily 10-15mg doses....

I wonder how potent d-meth truly is as a serotonergic neurotoxin when taken in daily 10-15mg doses....

d-meth is neurotoxic to dopaminergic neurons primarily. It's quite effective in causing neurotoxic effects because of the amount of dopamine that is released as a result of it, mainly of concern in the substantia nigra. Even at low dosages, it will likely accelerate the death of these cells beyond normal levels.

I was prescribed Desoxyn for roughly 2.5 years at a max of 30mg (2x tabs three times a day). I started at 5mg x3 times daily but at 10mg (vs. single dose of 5mg) I found it most effective for my symptoms. I was on the same dose of 30mg/daily for 2 years and I never needed to increase my dose; tolerance didn't increase every 4 months or so like all other of the amphetamine/amphetamine-type medications. The following are questions to your answers from personal experience:

Q: if one were to normally take 40mg of adderall IR, what would be a similar dosage for desoxyn?

A: In my opinion roughly 20mg (10mg Adderall = 5mg Desoxyn). Although its sort of tough to answer that question, its like comparing Methylphenidate to amphetamines.

Q: Also, I have heard mixed reports regarding the effectiveness of snorting desoxyn. Some have said that very little is absorbed when snorting desoxyn and so is alot wasted. Other people seem to swear by snorting the stuff. Anyone know for sure about this?

A: I insufflated only on rare occasions because I didn't want to increase tolerance. WHEN I DID though, 10mg WOULD GET ME HIGH! Very talkative, social, colors slightly brighter, very comfortable body warmth! Very mild physical side effects and not bad comedown. Once again though, I didn't do it too much.

I'd like to make my own PERSONAL chart like nleksan did (my dose of Adderall was just increased and feel very concentrated) All the meds I've been prescribed; my max dose prescribed, their length and MY opinion of equivalent dose of 10mg Desoxyn:

Adderall IR (dextroamphetamine/amphetamine salts): 5mg / length: 5 hours (approx) / max dose prescribed: 60mg
Adderall XR (extended release d/l amphetamine salts): can't compare XR meds / length: 7 hours / max dose prescribed: 60mg
Concerta (extended release methylphenidate): can't compare XR meds / length: 8-9 hours / max dose prescribed: 60mg
Desoxyn (d-methamphetamine) can't compare XR meds / length: 7 hours / max dose prescribed: 60mg
I was prescribed Desoxyn for roughly 2.5 years at a max of 30mg (2x tabs three times a day). I started at 5mg x3 times daily but at 10mg (vs. single dose of 5mg) I found it most effective for my symptoms. I was on the same dose of 30mg/daily for 2 years and I never needed to increase my dose; tolerance didn't increase every 4 months or so like all other of the amphetamine/amphetamine-type medications. The following are questions to your answers from personal experience:

Q: if one were to normally take 40mg of adderall IR, what would be a similar dosage for desoxyn?
A: In my opinion roughly 20mg (10mg Adderall = 5mg Desoxyn). Although its sort of tough to answer that question, its like comparing Methylphenidate to amphetamines.

Q: Also, I have heard mixed reports regarding the effectiveness of snorting desoxyn. Some have said that very little is absorbed when snorting desoxyn and so is alot wasted. Other people seem to swear by snorting the stuff. Anyone know for sure about this?
A: I insufflated only on rare occasions because I didn't want to increase tolerance. WHEN I DID though, 10mg WOULD GET ME HIGH! Very talkative, social, colors slightly brighter, very comfortable body warmth! Very mild physical side effects and not bad comedown. Once again though, I didn't do it too much.

I'd like to make my own PERSONAL chart like nleksan did (my dose of Adderall was just increased and feel very concentrated) All the meds I've been prescribed; my max dose prescribed, their length and MY opinion of equivalent dose of 10mg Desoxyn:

Adderall IR (dextroamphetamine/amphetamine salts): 5mg / length: 5 hours (approx) / max dose prescribed: 60mg
Adderall XR (extended release d/l amphetamine salts): can't compare XR meds / length: 7 hours / max dose prescribed: 60mg
Concerta (extended release methylphenidate): can't compare XR meds / length: 8-9 hours / max dose prescribed: 60mg
Desoxyn (d-methamphetamine): 10mg / length: 5 hours / max prescribed 30mg
Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): 10mg / length: 4 hours / max prescribed 45mg
Dexedrine Spansule (dextroamphetamine extended release) can't compare XR meds / length: 6 hours / max prescribed 45mg
Focalin (dexmethylphenidate): 5mg / length: 4 hours / max dose prescribed: 20mg
Ritalin (methylphenidate): 2.5mg / length: 2.5 hours / max dose prescribed: 45mg
Ritalin SR (extended release methylphenidate): can't compare XR meds / length: 5 hours / max prescribed: 60mg
Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate): 70mg XR equivalent 30mg Adderall XR / length: 11 hours / max prescribed: 70mg

the only ADD medication that I believe I haven't been prescribed is Focalin XR (EDIT: and the methylphenidate patch) but that is my own personal opinion on equivalent dosages.

Last edited:
That's similar to what i'd get without tolerance, tho with any tolerance (as i have now) it's like this:

Adderall IR 30mg: 2.5~3hrs (orally, rectally); 1.5~2hrs (intranasally)
Vyvanse (lisdexamphetamine) 70mg: 3~5hrs (the last hour is crashing)

Focalin IR 10mg: 1.5~2.5hrs (regardless of MOA)

Unfortunately that's all i've tried in the last 3.5yrs. Hope to try Desoxyn one day if it's at all like the d-methamp i've consumed on and off.. i.e small doses are so effective there's little need to re-dose so frequently and tolerance doesn't hit you in the face like with d(l)-amp

Sorry for brining up an old thread, a friend of mine is RX'd Adderall XR 15mg...3x/daily. Which is 45mg/day for his ADHD.

He talked to his doctor about an increase, because the dose he was on wasn't cutting it...his Dr. Switched him to Desoxyn 5mg 3x/daily, which is 15mg/daily.

My friend said 15mg of Desoxyn feels WAY stronger than 45mg of Adderall.

So idk, by his point of view, it looks/seems like to him, 5mg of Desoxyn = 20mg of Adderall.

He was snorting his Adderall, he would pop 1 and snort 2, he would crush the beads and snort it up.

He's doing the same with his Desoxyn, takes 1 orally, and snorts 2. He said it works like a charm...

So in this case it looks like Desoxyn is 4x as potent as Adderall..

Yes, but Adderall (various amphetamine salts) and Desoxyn (d-methamphetamine sulfate) don't really feel the same. Desoxyn (d-methamphetamine sulfate) doesn't even really feel the same as street (d or d,l-)methamphetamine hydrochloride. Its very tweaky, but not in the best way.

I have always wondered, how exactly do you get this med prescribed? I mean, I would feel very awkward even attempting to ask my doctor to try desoxyn! like I was asking her for meth, which it is! And I am no way, saying its any worse than Adderall, just saying it "sounds" worse I guess to ask for something like it? Is this something that very few doctors prescribe, in the US? I live in FL, and I actually get my Adderall prescribed to me by my sub doctor, whom I not only get subutex and Adderall from, but also clonazepam too! So she is very cool in the sense, that she understands I have other issues besides opioid addiction, and had no problem giving me either one of the other meds I take, as long as I showed her a previous prescription for it, or in my case got an ADD evaluation done, then showed her, I truly suffered from ADD/ADHD, on paper.. which I also did.. I just don't think, a sub doc of all people, would script me something like desoxyn, but I have never even tried any form of meth in my life, as I have no source for it, nor have I ever even heard or seen of it being in my area, so I cant even say I know what it feels like, because I don't, therefor I again, am in no way criticizing this med, don't get the wrong idea here anyone haha.. but whether its desoxyn or crystal meth, its all very rare, in south FL where I currently reside.. So was getting put on desoxyn, which from reading this sounds like an all around, better ADHD med and no more harmful than any others like Adderall of course depending on your ROA with them all, like something you had to ask for, or did you just try a bunch of other ADHD meds first, and come to the conclusion none of the others could work as well, and you and your doc, both figured it was the best/only other option at that point? I feel just fine on the combo of meds I take, perfect actually, I have a relatively low tolerance to amps, only take 20mg IRs once a day in the morning, and they seem to last me all day, even when I sniff them, they last just as long IME as oral.. I have no idea how its possible but, it really does last like more than half of the day via that ROA and dose... and I am not asking, like "how do I get this med prescribed to me?" because like I said, I am happy where I am now, and have no "need" for desoxyn atm, just curious on how doctors usually look at, most of which probably aren't sub doctors, like in my case!

Last edited:
Desoxyn is casually prescribed when ALL other alternatives have failed AND Dexedrine or Adderall showed some promise but fell short. Otherwise it can be prescribed upon demand as well, but less then when it comes up as a logical route to further the treatment.

^Ok.. I gotcha, well I at the moment, am just fine with my Adderall IRs I take, so I haven't reached that point.. yet! I guess I just wondered, how this came up between you and your doctor and getting it prescribed, I kind of figured it was like how you put it in your post Ksa... but didn't know, as Adderall is the only stimulant med I have ever been scripted, and thus far needed.. hopefully I can continue to stay satisfied with it, as I am now!