Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Unpredictable effects from drug combinations

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Biscuit brought up an interesting point in a thread today, he wrote:

A side note to 1,4BD and alcohol.
I think there is a possibility that the liver with metabolise ordinary alcohol BEFORE 1,4BD.

The only evidence i have is my friend once stupidly had 1,4BD after alcohol when quite drunk - despite a couple of doses of 1,4BD it had very little effect on him at all.
He then gets home sometime later, enough time for the liver to have gotten rid of the ethanol he had drunk.
BANG - he became dizzy, could barely walk or stand up, felt as if he would become unconscious and truly belived he was close to death.
It is hard to say what caused this but a good guess is that the 1,4BD was not processed to GHB as readily as normal due to the ethanol in his system - once that was all gone, the GHB effect then really kicked in.

It just goes to show how unpredictable and dangerous all the G analogues can be with alcohol - especially 1,4BD.
Its the one combo u just do not do - never, ever, ever.

That got me thinking a bit.

A lot of times when I've heard about people having difficult experiences related to drugs, there have been combinations of drugs involved. Reading between the lines from Biscuit's post, it highlights the unpredictability of drug synergies. I'd like to put down a few notes that are hopefully wide open for discussion, but they're just my opinions unless otherwise referenced...

Discussion on drug synergies:

Synergy is a combined action of two or more drugs working together to produce an effect greater than any of the drugs could produce when acting alone. I think the example above highlights this in a way - in that the drug durations were really skewed, and an unexpected result occurred due to the combination that probably wouldn't have been predicted based on how either of those drugs normally work. This can occur with pretty much any drug combination, which is why it pays to take things very carefully when using more than one drug at a time.

There are a lot of factors that influence a drug experience, which can be lumped together into bundles called 'set' and 'setting'. The setting, is your environment and the way you relate to it, which can play a part in a drug synergy. One example might be the temperature of the place you are, another might be whether you're really comfortable being there. The 'set' is the condition of your body and mind, which is a complicated system of variables but generally your wellbeing. These factors can play a big part in even a single drug experience, and when drugs are being combined they can strongly affect the intensity of a drug experience. I know that's pretty vague but I'm trying to be general without any particular drug combination in mind. Basically, there are many examples of drug combinations whose effects can be exacerbated by the setting or the person's state of health.

When people talk about combining drugs in general, they often take one drug to (potentiate) make the effects of another drug stronger, or generally increase the intensity of the experience. Depending on the drugs, there can be more or less room for error in the doses, and due to the synergy of the drugs, a 'normal' dose of one drug can have 'overdose' level effects. Moreover, in cases where one drug inhibits the effect of a drug overdose, if the inhibiting drug wears off too quickly, an overdose can effectively relapse.

Another unpredictable aspect of drug synergies, besides the possibility of dramatically increased positive or negative effects while the drugs are acting, is the after effects. Drugs can be fairly hard on the body, people don't always look after their health when it comes to drugs, so one drug experience can affect the 'set' for the next... or the next few, depending on how quickly in succession they occur. That pretty much extends to 'setting' too, I think.

I hope that people would see the sense in taking 'less than half' of any normal dose of each drug a combination they were experimenting with for the first time. Personally, I don't think there's any need to aim for absolute full dose combined peak effects on a first try of a combination, because you may not even like it, and the effects may be absolutely not what you predicted. It's worth taking things carefully to learn your limits.

Sometimes even a familiar combination can hit you harder than usual, or take you by surprise, so it's also worth taking care with every dose you take, of everything, all the time :) That's common sense! Thanks for reading, I got in a writing mood...

BigTrancer :)

Every time I've been present in somekind of serious, life threatening drug emergency (there's been quite a few times) it's always involved a combination of drugs.

Great post BT :)

I have seen far more people in hospital with drug induced mental illness after taking a combination of drugs, than from taking a sole agent. Those cases where only 1 drug has been consumed seem to be due to repeated re-dosing with the drug, over a night or a number of days. Yet another reason to take it easy!