Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 18 Sep 03: Stroke fear on ecstasy, speed and ice

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Stroke fear on ecstasy, speed and ice
September 18, 2003

Drugs such as speed, ice and ecstasy have caused strokes and bleeding in the brains of young people, a medical conference will be told today.

Radiologist Chris O'Donnell, from Melbourne's Frankston Hospital, said the incidence of these side-effects was likely to increase as the shortage of heroin pushed more drug users towards amphetamines.

He will issue the warning at the annual conference of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists in Brisbane.

From: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/17/1063625092789.html

Well, I guess this one's a given risk, since these drugs are all uppers. Maybe there will be an update on the specifics of the empirical evidence later in the day.

BigTrancer :)

slightly OT.......

was bored at work, so had a quick scan of some medical journals. amongst other things, i found a report which basically said

an extacy user is 5 times more likely to die from a car accident as from taking a pill.

of course, it also sais this figure can change depending on how u measure it (ie heart attacks on e, deadly drug cocktails with e etc......which ones do u count?)

It also said that there were about 250 deaths in England during 1999 (i think), which was roughly the same as Cocaine and heroin deaths. This did not include indirect deaths, but deaths where xtc was printed on the death certificate as a leading cause.

As i was at work, i couldnt read it in depth or write down the exact figures.....

But yikes!!!! thats way more than i expected. The way the media carried on with Anna Wood, I thought it was a once a year (or decade) phenomenon.
It also mentioned some other drugs which Ive never heard of (they always give the chemical name of course), which some ppl use to increase the neurotoxicity of xtc - this appears to be a large cause of some of these deaths.

Will post proper details if i find it again (although they r old reports, so nothing particularly new).

as for brain bleeding, yes im sure pumping a rat full of xtc could cause it, but hey pump them with enough sugar or salt, and eventually theyd die as well.
am still interested in seeing the findings though!!

rezinate

Another example of where statistics can be arranged to support your point, whatever that may be....

OK, as regards to the 5 x more likely to die while on E blurb; Even without E I would say that if you're out at 3 am in the morning, then that alone would raise the odds. As would jumping up and down in a crowded hot room, with limited available oxygen i.e. many dance floors throughout summer. Up the odds go again when driving home fatigued after a big night of dancing and having less sleep than normal.

As for the 250 fatality report; Well lets say we pick as a very conservative estimate, a number of 500,000 tablets which get taken every week in England. I'm sure this figure is higher, but it will serve to demonstrate. Using this figure, a total of ~25,000,000 pills are consumed annually. An annual figure of 250 deaths (considered directly caused by MDMA) means there is only a 0.001% chance of dying directly from taking MDMA; or a 1 in a 100,000 chance.

That would tend to imply MDMA would be as safe as taking most common pharmaceuticals including aspirin!