Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Blood Pressure lowering tablets

djwombat81au

Bluelighter
HI!
im currently on blood pressure lowering tablets (nifedipine 10mg). My blood pressure is fine, im just taking them to treat another condition (raynauds). Im wondering if taking speed/mdma will effect me in an adverse way when im taking these pills.
Thanx

Speed/MDMA will raise your blood pressure, so you'd be best off avoiding them in your present condition.:\

More importantly, many stimulants can cause peripheral vasoconstriction, leading to colder extremities. I would hazard a guess that this might lead to a worsening of the symptoms of Raynaud's phenomenon.

From RxList:
Nifedipine regularly reduces arterial pressure at rest and at a given level of exercise by dilating peripheral arterioles and reducing the total peripheral resistance (afterload) against which the heart works.
Based on that quote, I suspect that amphetamine-like drugs would reduce the effectiveness of the nifedipine.

BigTrancer :)

Last edited:
^^ Agreed. I must admit I knew little of Raynauds phenonenon when I first read your post, but upon reading of the symptoms I'm inclined to feel a friend may have this complaint as his skin behaves like this normally. On speed especially his face goes absolutely white for the first 2 or so hours then goes as red as a beet. I'm certainly going to mention this to him, as I've had little success in convincing him he should take a more cautious approach to using these drugs.

i only have slight raynauds, when im at work, but still thanx for the help!
looks like i have to stay off the tablets on the weekends when i want to go out

I would suggest talking to your GP about it, if you think there is any hope of a reasonable discussion -- however, if it's your family Dr then you may feel uncomfortable talking about drugs to him/her.

One way you can flip the situation is ask what happens if you accidentally forget to take a dose. That way your Dr will probably tell you just to take the next scheduled dose and don't double up etc., but you will find out if it's bad (for you) to skip a dose that way.

BigTrancer :)

There is no listed contraindication that I can find between nifedipine and amphetamine. I also have Raynauds, though it is mld these days (used to be much worse). If you only get Raynauds' symptoms at work, I assume it is due to occupational exposure to cold or some other factor. So when you aren't exposed to that factor, you should be OK. I have found however that I sometimes get increased Raynauds symptoms after meth or MDMA. I find warming my peripheries, and taking some gingko biloba (which increases periperhal ciriculation) helps. Just be aware of your body - if your hand or foot goes numb, cold, and / or white or blue(!) on meth or MDMA, you may be getting into trouble and need to take some action to restore circulation.