Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun: 16/09/03: Drug raids crack long-running lab

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter
Drug raids crack long-running lab
September 16, 2003
AAP

THREE men accused of running a $23 million amphetamine syndicate faced a Melbourne court briefly today.

Oscar Ozgur Simsek, 32, of Lovell Street, Hawthorne East; Mark Donald Chandler, 31, of Wallis Avenue, East Ivanhoe; and Caner Paksoy, 36, of Curzon Street, North Melbourne faced Melbourne Magistrates Court this afternoon charged with trafficking a large commercial quantity of amphetamines and possessing articles used to manufacture amphetamines.

They were arrested during a police raid on an Ashburton property overnight.

Crown prosecutor Ted Combi asked for an extra six weeks to prepare the case due to the large amount of listening device, telephone intercept and camera surveillance material.

Mr Combi said the street value of the haul was estimated at $23 million.

None of the men applied for bail and all are due to appear in the same court on January 20 next year.

Victoria Police earlier said they believed they had cracked the state's longest-running amphetamines laboratory after raids late yesterday found millions of dollars worth of drug products.

Detectives from the clandestine laboratories unit raided two homes at Ashburton and Ivanhoe in Melbourne's east last night where they found a large quantity of products used to make amphetamines.

Detective Inspector Robert Hill of the major drug investigation unit said the two laboratories were believed to have produced drugs worth tens of millions of dollars.

Methylamphetamine liquid and powder with an estimated street value of around $26 million were found at the Ashburton address.

"We have reason to believe that this laboratory has been operating for approximately four years, we have also reason to believe that this laboratory has been manufacturing amphetamine worth tens of millions of dollars," he told reporters.

"In Victoria Police's history we have not come across or detected a laboratory running for so long."

Det Insp Hill urged residents to contact police if they noticed suspicious activities in neighbouring homes, such as blackened windows and people coming at irregular hours.

"Clandestine laboratories pose significant risk to the community," he said.

"We're dealing with people who are predominantly inexperienced with manufacturing amphetamine ... they're using flammable substances, also toxic and carcinogenic liquids.

"Those issues obviously pose significant risks to the community."

original article here

We have reason to believe that this laboratory has been operating for approximately four years,

In Victoria Police's history we have not come across or detected a laboratory running for so long

um....if 4 years is the longest people have gone without getting busted, then why the HELL would you have a lab in the first place!!!!???!!!! seems like more hassle and worry than the profit you're making. even if it is in the millions :p

Even those with a more "ethical" approach are often unable to escape the lure of manufacturing following a successful synthesis.

....I broke every rule in the book, and I did so knowingly. I ordered glassware from Aldrich with my real name and credit card. I ordered chemicals from all over with my real name and money orders. I had boxes shipped to my parents (and, later, my co-conspirator's). I spent hundreds of hours in the library and posted everything I found that sounded remotely useful to the process of making MDMA. I conducted my experiments in a freakin' apartment complex, of all places, but none of these mistakes got me busted....

...My biggest mistake wasn't me sending that package through UPS, nor starting product back up after it never made it, nor even deciding to make X in the first place. My mistake was not taking the time to make a huge amount quickly and then destroying everything afterwards....
...Instead, I wanted to experiment with the process and find other ways of doing things as well as posting everything I found to a.d.c. [alt.drugs.chemistry] I should have quit as soon as I succeeded but I couldn't resist the temptation to tweak. I can say "should-have" about a lot of things in this game, but that's the one I truly regret.

The song of the Sirens is irresistible. Those who hear it and have not been tied to the mast like Odysseus will perish among the rocks (c.f. - The Odyssey).

[Edit: inserted working link via Erowid]

Last edited:
never been tempted to make drugs - sounds like a huge hassle.
i have access to organic chemistry labs, chemicals and glassware.. but... meh~
delivery driving for pizza hut is less effort

^^ dexter_stayne: i would really be careful what you post. ive just read your busted thread and from that you have given a decent amount of information as well as the possibility you work for pizza hut. Regardless if it is, or isnt you job, just think it out more before you hit submit reply.

predominantly inexperienced

Well clearly this lot weren't that inexperienced! [sarcasm]Imagine how many really, really inexperienced people there are out there still to get caught[/sarcasm]

Drugs had street value up to $75m: court
November 15, 2007 - 7:24PM

Two Melbourne men face life in jail for their involvement in an amphetamine laboratory containing drugs with an estimated street value of up to $75 million.

Mark Chandler, 35, of Mt Waverley, and Caner Paksoy, 40, of Mentone, have pleaded guilty to trafficking a large commercial quantity of methamphetamines.

The charge carries a maximum penalty of life.

The Victorian County Court on Thursday heard Chandler was the cook and Paksoy worked as a labourer in the enterprise based at two properties - Ivanhoe East and Ashburton - in Melbourne's east.

The court heard the men were just workers in the lab and were not involved in the sale and distribution of the drugs.

The scheme ran for several months until police raided the two properties in September 2003, following extensive surveillance.

Prosecutor Robert Barry said over 13kg of methamphetamine with an estimated street value of more than $29 million was seized.

A precursor drug capable of producing methamphetamine worth an estimated $45.6 million on the streets was also discovered.

Chandler's lawyer Justin Hannebery said he was paid in amounts of $2000 and $5000 for his role as a "subcontractor" manufacturing drugs.

"It was nothing beyond technical and a cooking assistant," he said.

Chandler admitted to his involvement early on to help out a mate, but was unable to tell police how much he gained financially, the court heard.

Clinical psychologist Dr Paul Grech, who diagnosed Chandler with Asperger's disorder, said he suffered social phobia and had an unhealthy obsession with chemistry.

Paksoy's lawyer Russell Sarah said his client was a naive "bit player" in the scheme and requested a jail term at the lower end of the scale.

Mr Sarah said Paksoy only received $15,000 for his involvement.

At the time of offending, Paksoy was depressed from losing his father to cancer and became involved to help childhood friend Oscar Simsek.

Simsek, the third person charged over the operation, died in 2005 of a haemophilia-related disorder.

But the prosecution said suggesting Paksoy would help out a friend for three months without financial reward defied common sense.

Judge Jane Campton revoked the men's bail and will sentence them on December 18.

The AGE

phase_dancer said:
The song of the Sirens is irresistible. Those who hear it and have not been tied to the mast like Odysseus will perish among the rocks (c.f. - The Odyssey).

Nice quote PD !

Last edited:
I wish these guys hadn't got busted...

[EDIT: Thanks for posting, I've put this in another thread. hoptis]

Herald Sun, 24 November 2007, journalist Greg Thom

Cookin' in the 'burbs

This quiet Ashburton house was the centre of Victoria's biggest backyard drugs laboratory, where three men made speed out the back and, in a front room, used their profits to play the stockmarket.

"J ACKPOT!" shouted Sen-Det David O'Riley, as he gazed around the dingy interior of the suburban bungalow. A tip led O'Riley to suspect the rented Ashburton house was the site of an amphetamines laboratory. And not just any old laboratory, either. It was the state's biggest and held about $30 million in drugs when police raided 33 Gloucester Rd.

As a veteran of scores of backyard amphetamine-lab busts, O'Riley hadn't seen anything like it. Never. "We walked into a house that was just amazing. It was one of the best set up (amphetamine) labs you would ever see," he says.

O'Riley moved in with officers of the Victoria Police clandestine laboratories squad on July 24, 2003. The gang was not at home, giving police an opportunity to find out exactly what they were up against.

The raid four years ago was the start of a long-running investigation that ended with two men, Caner Paksoy and Mark Chandler, pleading guilty last week in the County Court to running what police believe to be the biggest illegal amphetamines laboratory in Victorian history. The third defendant, Ozgur Simsek, died after falling and hitting his head outside a Richmond brothel.

Back to the police raid in 2003, O'Riley entered a room crammed with stills, glass beakers and containers of sulphuric acid and ammonia. To the untrained eye it resembled something like a mad scientists' convention. The number of amphetamine labs raided by police has more than doubled, from 30 in 2004 to 64 last year. Police have already kicked down the doors of more than 60 backyard labs this year. The makeshift labs are so volatile, police have special training and wear protective suits and breathing apparatus when dismantling them.

O'Riley describes the Gloucester Rd lab as one of the cleanest, most sophisticated labs he'd ever seen. "It was clean . . . and they had just the best of the best equipment," he says. That wasn't all. While the gang made the drugs in the back, a computer in the front served as an office, where the men played the stockmarket with proceeds from drug sales.

So how did it all go wrong?

The trail that led police to Gloucester Rd began in early 2003, when police at Glen Waverley regional response unit arrested Levent Alparslan for drug offences. Phone intercepts revealed what police believed were coded conversations relating to deals between Alparslan and his suspected supplier, Simsek. It was Simsek who rented the house in Gloucester Rd.

As difficult as it was to tear themselves away from the mountain of evidence in the Ashburton home, the police intruders had work to do.

Satisfied they had had a glimpse of a large drug-making operation, they filmed the scene and collected samples for analysis.

Police hung back and began to gather more evidence. Tests confirmed the substance as methamphetamine. Other chemicals were used to make amphetamines. "The chemists had never seen anything like it," O'Riley says. "They had never seen amphetamine made that way before."

Police planted listening devices and a camera was hidden too, giving police a perfect view of the team "cooking" the amphetamines. For good measure, police intercepted the gang's telephones as well. Operation Riant provided overwhelming evidence of a multi-million-dollar drugs operation -- it was the oldest undetected amphetamines lab in the state. Documents seized suggested the gang had been making drugs for many years before the 2003 raid.

During one of their covert incursions, police removed a glass flask containing more than a litre of liquid. Tests revealed it to be amphetamine base oil. The sample was more than 90 per cent pure. "That in itself was a large commercial quantity, just sitting there waiting to be crystallised into powder form, so we knew we were on the right track," O'Riley says.

Amphetamine production was not the only thing Simsek, Paksoy and Chandler had in common. All three were originally from Mildura. Paksoy and Simsek were mates at St Joseph's school, which Chandler also attended. After moving to Melbourne in the early '80s, Simsek, Chandler and Paksoy ran a fish-and-chip shop together in Glen Waverley. Chandler also lived with Simsek for a period at the Gloucestor Rd house before moving into his own place in Ivanhoe.

Simsek eventually moved into a $900,000 home in Hawthorn, but continued to rent the Ashburton property.

The reason why became obvious to O'Riley and his colleagues. They were struck not only by the gang's sophisticated laboratory set-up, but by the way they prided themselves on making high-quality drugs.

"I'm a big fan of purity," Chandler admitted to police after his arrest. "I've always seen the s--- other people produce and it's absolutely . . . it's horrible, you know. This stuff is terribly impure . . . it's dangerous. If I could make something that was pharmaceutically pure, that would be my goal."

O'Riley says it soon became apparent the trio were not your average criminals. Simsek and Chandler had studied chemistry at university, knowledge they put to good use in their suburban drugs lab. Police found bookshelves crammed with chemistry text books. "They were very, very clever people when it came to the chemistry side of things," O'Riley says. "Police later seized many folders containing hand-written notes, sketches, calculations and material downloaded from the internet relating to the production of amphetamines.

More startling to the gang's police eavesdroppers was the revelation they actually had a second drugs lab -- at Chandler's Ivanhoe home. "We worked it out through conversations we listened in on that Chandler had actually made about 50g of methamphetamine hydrochloride in Ivanhoe and brought it to Ashburton," O'Riley says. "He and Paksoy then smoked it, using some sort of bong. Chandler had successfully made it on a small scale back in Ivanhoe. Now they wanted to mass-produce it in Ashburton."

When police raided the Ivanhoe house, they found a secret lab at least equal in sophistication to Ashburton. The lab was being run as a kind of experimental facility, feeding directly into the main operation in Ashburton. Chandler was even making his own sophisticated drug-making equipment. "He had drugs I had never heard of," O'Riley says.

Chandler later admitted to police he wasn't afraid to experiment. "I'd become the research-and-development department, to investigate whether things could be possible or not."

The gang's pride in their work and detailed record-keeping was a boon to police in terms of evidence. Investigators discovered receipts for the purchase of chemicals dating back to 1993, along with meticulous record-keeping of their drug-making.

"They were unbelievable. They were anal almost," O'Riley says. "They'd do the cook and clean the lab. It would all be scrubbed down and be spotless." "At the time we raided, they were trying to distil almost a kilogram of amphetamines. We knew there was half a kilogram of powder in the house, and they had another process up and going that involved more than 900g of methamphetamine," O'Riley says. "They were knee deep into it when we did the raid and they were all there, share-trading on the computer."

Police seized drugs worth an estimated $30 million. A trailer in the driveway of the Ashburton house contained enough chemicals to produce a further $45 million in methamphetamine.

There is little evidence, however, that the gang led an extravagant lifestyle. Chandler says payment for his drug-making expertise was ad hoc to say the least. "It was sort of taken for granted that if I did some work a bit of money would come every now and again, and I could rely on not having to worry about where the next meal was coming from. "I'd drop around and they'd (Paksoy and Simsek) say, 'Here, have some money'. I'd get an envelope (containing up to $5000) or something like that."

Far from hardened criminals, Simsek and Chandler co-operated fully with police. O'Riley says it was almost as though being busted had come as a relief. Admitting to suffering from depression, Chandler says he never planned to be a career criminal.

When asked by police why he became involved, Simsek was more succinct. "Does stupidity count as a reason?" Simsek and Chandler will be sentenced in the County Court on December 18.

The Accused

MARK DONALD CHANDLER, 35 Medical evidence presented in court suggested Chandler's obsession with achieving drug-making perfection was related to his suffering from Asperger's syndrome, a mild form of autism.

CANER PAKSOY, 40 Father of a three-year-old daughter, Paksoy migrated to Australia with his family in 1980 after finishing school in his native Turkey.

OZGUR SIMSEK, 32 Simsek had a lot on his mind. Facing charges of operating a multi-million dollar backyard amphetamine-making operation, he had reputedly hit the bottle -- hard. "He had come to a lot of drinking, apparently, because of his predicament," Sen-Det David O'Riley of the Victoria Police clandestine lab squad says. "With the (court) plea coming up and looking at doing a long stint in jail, he had a bit of a drink problem." Simsek would never have his day in court. About 5.30am on March 28 last year, Simsek is believed to have gone to a brothel in Coppin St, Richmond. It was closed. A security camera captured him apparently tripping on the gutter and hitting his head, fracturing his skull. Simsek had a genetic bleeding disorder known as Von Willenbrand's disease. He was found by a passer-by, slumped on the ground, struggling for breath and bleeding from the mouth. He died soon afterwards in hospital. Simsek's family have since taken his body back to Turkey to be buried.

Herald Sun

Last edited by a moderator:
^Wow what a story.

Utmost respect goes to those who pride quality over quantity. They are few and far between. Condolences to Mr Simseks family.

Melbourne pair jailed over big drug haul
December 18, 2007 - 1:15PM

Two Melbourne men have been jailed for at least nine years over their involvement in an amphetamine laboratory containing drugs with an estimated street value of more than $29 million.

Mark Chandler, 35, of Mt Waverley was described as the cook and Caner Paksoy, 40, of Mentone, worked as a labourer in the enterprise, the Victorian County Court was told.

They ran the drug lab for several months until police raided two properties, in Ivanhoe East and Ashburton in Melbourne's east, in September 2003, following extensive surveillance.

During the raid, police seized 13kg of methamphetamine with an estimated street value of more than $29 million, the court was told.

Judge Jane Campton sentenced Chandler to 15 years prison and Paksoy 14 years. Both received a minimum term of nine years.

She said she took into account they had both pleaded guilty to trafficking a large commercial quantity of methamphetamines.

Both men demonstrated a good chance of rehabilitation and they expressed genuine remorse, Judge Campton said.

The judge said she did not accept Paksoy's claim that he played a lesser role in the offending.

The AGE

Surprising sentence

This seems to be a surprising harsh sentence for two guys who are descibed as "novices" by the officer in charge of the investigation-given that both had no priors and in the 4 and 1/2 years of waiting to be sentenced, no reoffending, both getting on with normal lives. All the comments by O'Reily do not seem to match up with the reports from the papers - drug lab running for years, but no money?!? "Trying to distil" - does this mean that they were not successful????

Does this odd to anyone else????

By the way, cowboy mac, there are a lot of people who have access to organic labs - it doesn't make them drug makers!

My friend has aspergers syndrome, and is quite the same in his take on synthesizing chemicals.. Be it acetone washes to acid/base extractions of dexamphetamine sulfate to hcl. :)