Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 12 Sep 03: Kids overdose on carers' cannabis

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Kids overdose on carers' cannabis
September 12, 2003 - 11:34AM

Two girls, aged three and four, remain in hospital today suffering from an overdose of cannabis in what police described as a sickening case.

Police said the girls were in a stable condition in intensive care at Adelaide's Women's and Children's Hospital.

They became ill last night after eating food containing cannabis and inhaling cannabis smoke.

A 22-year-old man and a 28-year-old woman, who were not related to the children but who were caring for them at the time, were arrested and charged with committing acts to endanger life.

They were due to appear in the Elizabeth Magistrates Court today.

A police spokesman said the two girls were expected to remain in hospital for a couple of days.

"This is quite a sickening case," he told ABC radio.

"The effects of cannabis on young children are obviously a great deal more severe than they are on adults."

From: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/12/1063268550244.html

BigTrancer :)

I knew weed isn't exactly good for kids but i didn't know that it could put them in hospital.

I would like to know what really happened. I reaken either the two carers gave the kids the hash cookies or whatever on purpose, or maybe the kids found them and thought they were normal cookies/cake.
But, i highly doubt the girls actually inhaled smoke from a joint. Probably just second hand smoke.

Drugs and kids are a major issue, especially in cases like this when kids accidently take something. There has been cases were kids have taken pills thinking they were something else.

Personally though, i don't have a problem with people being a bit high on smoke or pills around a kid, as long as the child isn't in danger at all.
After all parents consistently get pissed in front of their kids and act like dicks.

According to todays Herald-Sun, the cannabis was part of a pasta sauce that the whole group ate (adults and kids). The purveyors stated it was an accident, and forgot the pasta sauce had cannabis in it (which is almost believable - they are stoners after all!)

As for the kids ending up in hospital, their parents probably didn't know why their children appeared so sedated, and would have taken them to hospital to find out.

going to hospital for cannabis OD? hmmmm, i wonder what they'd give the poor lil kids. do you think the kids got the munchies when they were coming down? do you think they will grow up to become big choofers? do you think the pasta tasted nice? ;)

....i got to get some sleep now.

Stupid people. It was amusing to watch them on the news though. Like all good accused, they covered their heads with jackets but they didn't know where they were going and walked straight into a tree!

Based upon the actions of the carers rather than the fact marijuana was involved; when not in possession of all the details, it's hard to know on who, and to what severity the blame should fall.

On one hand it could be no different from an alcoholic cocktail being consumed by children at a party. Although rare, this does happen and is often not anyone's fault directly .

On he other hand you may have total intention to intoxicate kids.

Neither of these situations probably applies to this case. But until a verdict of neglect or intent is passed, then it should perhaps not be seen as anything other than an incidence of poisoning - which happens everyday.

....aside from of course making lite of an otherwise serious matter :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a story of how a poor unsuspecting adult ate cake with E in it.

One night while I was DJ'ing at a cheeky party on the beach front, a dude came along with a mull cake claiming it was a beauty. I didn't have any at the time, thinking I'd first get through the early part of my set.

A few minutes later I see a rather conservative chap enquiring about the beautifully presented cake. Later he explained that he knew there was mull in the cake and thought he'd only have a small slice, but added extra icing left on the plate figuring it wouldn't have mull in it.

The next thing I know is this saucer eyed, very anxious straight guy is standing in front of me going " What the fuck was in that cake man!!" I replied that I'd been told it was just mull, but when the baker was located he announced that he'd put around 20 crushed up pills in the icing!! (wonder what his other job was 8))

The poor guy eventually came right and had a great night, but by my estimation he may have consumed up to 3 pills worth. Very daunting on an unplanned first time, and I thank fuck there were no kids there as is common at outdoor parties.

Unless you see it being baked, I suggest exercising a strong degree of caution with any offering of spaXe cake, even if you know the chef/baker well (as many unsuspecting gobblers did that night).

Insane Platypus said:
Stupid people. It was amusing to watch them on the news though. Like all good accused, they covered their heads with jackets but they didn't know where they were going and walked straight into a tree!

Oh, STONERS!!

this is hardly funny... the way the media has represented this story is total bullshit..!!!!!:X
in perth, on channel 7 news, they claimed the cannabis 'could have killed them'
later they claimed one of the girls was 'almost in a coma' from the drug...

BULLSHIT

cannabis cant put you into a coma, it cant kill you it can only get you stoned

this is going to do mass amounts of damage to the cannabis decriminalisation movement, i cant belive the media can just blatantly lie to people... and their too ignorant to even realise it

Excessive doses of cannabis can be extremely unpleasant, and it is very easy to do with baked goods if you are unsuspecting. There's a lot more to it than 'only get you stoned' at extreme doses, and it lasts a very long time before you become sober again when eaten. IMO.

BigTrancer :)

Maybe, but when I was 15 a guy from our town tried to import a couple of condoms of hash oil, which of course were swallowed prior to boarding the plane. Well 1 or both of these busted inside of him. Apparently (according to his bro) he began feeling sick before he nodded off.

He was removed from the plane in Auckland where he spent the next couple of weeks in hospital asleep. When he woke up, he was totally mystified as to what had happened and where he was. The story goes that he jumped up, pulled the things from his arm, and bolted. Police eventually caught up with him and he was charged and convicted of importation so they must have found something of his cargo.

Without knowing the details I can't say this was a comatose state, but that's how it was known around town. At least the story helped to demonstrate the relative low-toxicity of cannabis to a very interested young man %) However, major concerns I'd have with anyone eating large amounts of dope/extract whatever, involves the real possibility of serious damage to the stomach and duodenum.

Remember that regardless of being classified as a "soft" drug, or whether there is potential to comatose or not, THC is still a toxin, as are all drugs!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for those who have 'greened out' - it doesn't seem unlikely at all.... a few more cones and i would have been "gooooneski"

hello your all missing the point ... channel seven said on PRIME TIME TV that the cannabis 'could have killed them'

this is an outright lie, plain and simple. and i would expect people HERE of all places to be a bit pissed off. maybe drugs really do make people dumb and lazy, and i submit this as evidence !!!
:)

does anyone care that the media can lie like this? sure, it wont directly affect me in any way, but think bigger, like the millions of pensioners who would have seen this

"oh ethyl thats just terrible those poor little girls were almost killed by the demon weed cannabis"

can you hear that??? thats the sound of possible drug law reform being flushed down the toilet

also cannabis CANNOT cause a coma... people who have greened out still move and moan when you poke them with a stick or steel capped boot, a coma implies being totally unresponsive to external stimuli.

i have greened out from eating half an ounce of bud, so let me tell you from my pretty large personal experience... theres a HUGE difference between passing out from having too much pot and a friggen coma, you dont need to be einstein to realise that

yes but most of the dumb pricks who perpetuate all this bullshit most probably have never smoked pot in their life.

rofl @ poking stoned mofo's with a stick. i got poked in the eye with a breadstick when i was greening and i had to hurl afterwards :(

coma? naahhh...

The guy importing hash oil in his stomach would presumable have smoked many times before, so he has a massive tolerance to the PSYCOLOGICAL aspects of MULL, little alone a large physical tolerance.

Not only would very young children have no physical tolerance, but more importantly no psycological tolerance for mind altering drugs, and would have no adult abilities to deal with the change of reality AT ALL. It would have been very scary at that age.

I remember the first few times I smoked as a teenager, and I felt like I was tripping. It was only a few years later I got more of the sedation effects of mull, and less of the psycoactive effects.

I hope those dickheads get the book thrown at them.

As they say, only dopes smoke dope.

**hello your all missing the point ... channel seven said on PRIME TIME TV that the cannabis 'could have killed them'

this is an outright lie, plain and simple.**

In response to this post i think it's rather naive of you to find this so unbelievable. The fact that the Australian media in particular, has absolutely nothing to hold them accountable (Ie they can lie as much as they want and no one can do a single thing about it) shows how easy it is for the media to lie.

Do you think that from this situation, the media is going to report on things in a manner that is completely ethical and truthful? Of course not, the media is an industry, they want to make money. As well as this, it serves as a great way to make the masses believe what "they" want them to believe.

I hope this serves as a big wake up call as to how much the media lies and how you can't believe everything you read or see on tv.

Toodles